Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default Anyone actually surprised about Emma's direction in comics?

I may be one of the few people that actually like the direction Emma has taken and even understand her breakdown. I have never seen her as a true X-man no matter how hard I've tried. I don't see any close relationships with them at all and can't even name a character that is besties with her that isn't Cyclops without it being forced....Its like they all just tolerated her because of Cyclops.

Its kinda sad to me that she never even tried to gain any actual relationships other than with Cyclops. How do you stay with the X-Men all this time and be snarky to every character there....give a hint of being nice and go back to being a B. to everyone. So when Cyclops died, I very much saw this whole crazy thing coming. Hell, if he would've broken up with her I think she still would've been some obsessed fanatic.

I think now is the time for Emma to find herself. No hellfire Club, No X-Men. I cannot see her as full on villain. I can see her as a morally ambiguous character that will do anything to help her species. A character that can give 2 craps about peaceful coexistence, but will lay low and do things that protect her species whether people die or not. She needs to start her own type of X-team with her money and do things her way. Regain the trust of maybe Shaw (hes changed a bit) as a brick and Havok and get some other members and restart the "X-tinction team". (in honor of her deceased lover)

I kinda think that would be an interesting direction for her and something the X-Men will have to deal with or "spin" in their favor. This can also make her a major player in the Marvel world with the likes of Magneto, Doom, Captain America. A character that when big things go down in the Universe (or some silly event) she will have more of a say and can actually be someone that the X-Men will have to talk to or Apocalypse would have to fight.

Spectacular Member reptarcereal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tmacaoni View Post
    I may be one of the few people that actually like the direction Emma has taken and even understand her breakdown. I have never seen her as a true X-man no matter how hard I've tried. I don't see any close relationships with them at all and can't even name a character that is besties with her that isn't Cyclops without it being forced....Its like they all just tolerated her because of Cyclops.

Its kinda sad to me that she never even tried to gain any actual relationships other than with Cyclops. How do you stay with the X-Men all this time and be snarky to every character there....give a hint of being nice and go back to being a B. to everyone. So when Cyclops died, I very much saw this whole crazy thing coming. Hell, if he would've broken up with her I think she still would've been some obsessed fanatic.

I think now is the time for Emma to find herself. No hellfire Club, No X-Men. I cannot see her as full on villain. I can see her as a morally ambiguous character that will do anything to help her species. A character that can give 2 craps about peaceful coexistence, but will lay low and do things that protect her species whether people die or not. She needs to start her own type of X-team with her money and do things her way. Regain the trust of maybe Shaw (hes changed a bit) as a brick and Havok and get some other members and restart the "X-tinction team". (in honor of her deceased lover)

I kinda think that would be an interesting direction for her and something the X-Men will have to deal with or "spin" in their favor. This can also make her a major player in the Marvel world with the likes of Magneto, Doom, Captain America. A character that when big things go down in the Universe (or some silly event) she will have more of a say and can actually be someone that the X-Men will have to talk to or Apocalypse would have to fight.
    I like this new direction too. She was never as interesting as Morrison wrote her, every writer after just slapped on "darling" after each sentence as characterization.

I'd prefer Emma as a Magneto-type character, willing to do the worst for the survival of mutants.

Yes, what they're doing to her currently is absurdly disappointing, and shows that they have no knowledge or care of the character. They've reduced her from a hero into an psychopathic, lovesick schoolgirl, full on villain. Most of Emma's publication history has been as a hero. She had relationships with other X-men too, its just that writers always ended up ignoring that aspect in favor of writing her as nothing but a cold character to try and keep playing up the former villain part.

People always compare her to Magneto, but I think the most accurate comparison is to Wolverine. Both are people who struggle/struggled with some of the horrible things they had done in the past, and both are trying to make up for it. Both of them have a soft spot for their students, and both understand and are willing to occasionally embrace the darker sides to help the X-men out.

Like I said above, I'm surprised and disappointed to the point of dropping X-books right now with what they've done to Emma. This X-office just doesn't care or respect the characters their handling.

I love Emma to the point that my wife is jealous lol

Seriously I hope she is going to lead an X team in the near future.

BANNED

I think it's great.

So.....am I the only one who's read Generation X?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ţh€ €жţяą-๏яďɨɲąя¥ Tycon View Post
    I read it. Emma was completely out of character.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

No, you're not. But whenever people bring up these points, its obvious that they never have.

Vegan Daddy;3003413]I read it. Emma was completely out of character.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯[/QUOTE]

How? It was a logical conclusion that from grieving over the Hellions, getting psychic mental help from Xavier, and opening up a school in Massachusetts, she'd only go in the same direction as the students she's teaching. People forget that before Emma is a hero or villain or morally ambiguous character, she's a teacher first and foremost. Mutant revolutions are nice and dandy but Emma has always felt she was most suitable in the role of a teacher, educating and caring for her kids.

Quote Originally Posted by RAWRlrus View Post
    No, you're not. But whenever people bring up these points, its obvious that they never have.
    It not only shows Emma become a full-fledged hero willing to take risks to save people but exemplified why teaching and her students were so important to her. It's a shame that whenever Emma's evolution to X-Man status is brought up, people automatically jump to Morrison.

Vegan Daddy;3003413]I read it. Emma was completely out of character.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    How? It was a logical conclusion that from grieving over the Hellions, getting psychic mental help from Xavier, and opening up a school in Massachusetts, she'd only go in the same direction as the students she's teaching. People forget that before Emma is a hero or villain or morally ambiguous character, she's a teacher first and foremost. Mutant revolutions are nice and dandy but Emma has always felt she was most suitable in the role of a teacher, educating and caring for her kids.

It not only shows Emma become a full-fledged hero willing to take risks to save people but exemplified why teaching and her students were so important to her. It's a shame that whenever Emma's evolution to X-Man status is brought up, people automatically jump to Morrison.[/QUOTE]

Shows she isn't dependent on Cyclops, shows she has a relationship with X-men other than Cylops (predating actually). All of the X-offices current beliefs, and half the "isn't this really Emma" posts on here are so easily disproved by Gen X.

Quote Originally Posted by RAWRlrus View Post

It not only shows Emma become a full-fledged hero willing to take risks to save people but exemplified why teaching and her students were so important to her. It's a shame that whenever Emma's evolution to X-Man status is brought up, people automatically jump to Morrison.
    Shows she isn't dependent on Cyclops, shows she has a relationship with X-men other than Cylops (predating actually). All of the X-offices current beliefs, and half the "isn't this really Emma" posts on here are so easily disproved by Gen X.[/QUOTE]

Funny thing is, in Gen X, she didn't give a single sh!t about Scott.

Mighty Member

The teacher Emma in Gen X and the Emma as a Xman is vastly different. I had no problem with Emma when she was in Gen X, she was a good teacher and did a lot for her students. She had some snark and busted Banshee's balls now and then but all was good. However she then becomes an Xman and completely changed. The snark, the condescending nature and the air of superiority just increased. I won't include the whole Cyclops affair because that's a whole other thing, but for a good long while editorial did everything in their power to make Emma the main Xwoman. And the truth of the matter is by being in a relationship with Scott, Emma did become more prominent. He was the undisputed leader and she was always at his side, to the point that people were referring to her as Xmen leader also, despite the fact she was not. My main issue with Emma now is how other characters are written down or thrown under the bus to make her look good. Intelligent, competent people are constantly victims of her schemes and manipulations. And on top of it she always gets away with it, never does she suffer the consequences of her actions. I think being a villain is the best thing for her at this point, her deeds past and present paint her as such. I know Emma fans want her to have her own book, and that's fine so long as it's all new mutants or c and d-listers. The last thing we need is veteran Xmen being pawns and lackeys in whatever agenda Emma has.

Oh shit does she lead the new team in the latest release of Generation X books?

Quote Originally Posted by The tall man View Post
    The teacher Emma in Gen X and the Emma as a Xman is vastly different. I had no problem with Emma when she was in Gen X, she was a good teacher and did a lot for her students. She had some snark and busted Banshee's balls now and then but all was good. However she then becomes an Xman and completely changed. The snark, the condescending nature and the air of superiority just increased. I won't include the whole Cyclops affair because that's a whole other thing, but for a good long while editorial did everything in their power to make Emma the main Xwoman. And the truth of the matter is by being in a relationship with Scott, Emma did become more prominent. He was the undisputed leader and she was always at his side, to the point that people were referring to her as Xmen leader also, despite the fact she was not. My main issue with Emma now is how other characters are written down or thrown under the bus to make her look good. Intelligent, competent people are constantly victims of her schemes and manipulations. And on top of it she always gets away with it, never does she suffer the consequences of her actions. I think being a villain is the best thing for her at this point, her deeds past and present paint her as such. I know Emma fans want her to have her own book, and that's fine so long as it's all new mutants or c and d-listers. The last thing we need is veteran Xmen being pawns and lackeys in whatever agenda Emma has.
    Characters are always being written down when the leaders are in charge. Her deeds past present paint her as a hero who has struggled and done wrong in the past. The issue is that this X-office is horrible, and just casually ruin characters, like Emma and Scott.

Quote Originally Posted by Bontchimuz View Post
    Oh shit does she lead the new team in the latest release of Generation X books?
    No, she was one of the leaders in the old Gen X. Which is something that just about everyone forgets.

Funny thing is, in Gen X, she didn't give a single sh!t about Scott.
    Why would she?
    GrindrStone(D)