Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Default How has Dan Jurgens' recent work been?

One of my favorite old guard writers but I haven't read any of his new work.

BANNED

I have a low opinion of his work in general, and think his recent work has been among the worst work to come out of DC in recent years.

That's me though.

The overall consensus seems to be that his new work ranges from decent to good.

Hit or miss for me. Sometimes the stories feel right, other times they get bogged down and seem to just drag.

I think his work is mostly ok, but it's never very memorable. I don't know how many times I've tried giving his new Action run a try but ended up losing interest.

I've always really enjoyed his art. I really liked the pre-flashpoint Booster Gold series and there was a mini called Time Masters Vanishing Point that was a lot of fun. The JLI after the reboot was okay but nothing incredible.

I used to really love the guy's art. Was a big, big fan of his Superman stuff in the 90's.

And I haven't tried his Rebirth Action at all. So take my opinion here for what it's worth. But Im not the biggest fan of his modern stuff. I've tried his New52 Arrow, JLI, Superman, Aquaman And the Others, and the Lois And Clark mini from DCYOU. And I never finished any of those runs (except the two-issue Superman arc). Most of them I dropped before six issues.

His work isnt bad....its just very generic and while it might just be me, it feels dated.

No offense to the guy, he sounds like a good person and he's part of why Im such a huge Superman fan. Nothing but love. But his current stuff just doesnt do it for me.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Thrashing Like a Maniac! Gotham Thrasher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Winghead View Post
    One of my favorite old guard writers but I haven't read any of his new work.

OK this is just my opinion but I think if you like his old stuff then I think it's safe to say that you will love this...I was huge fan of his back in the day (grew up on his Booster Gold) and loved his post Byrne run on Superman. After that he went to Marvel and I seriously don't remember how his runs were there...I read them at the time and I remember nothing. I think he took some time off from writing then until his Co writing stint with Johns on Booster again. I like that but couldn't tell how much of it was him and how much was John's. Everthinges else he did on his like Vanishing point I wanted to like but I just couldn't get into it. I don't know if it was because he was rusty or editorial interference or what but I just couldn't get into his Green Arrow , JLI and Superman during the New 52. That said ....again I don't know what happened but since convergence and Lois and Clark and now Action he has been on fire!!!! If you ever like his work at all...you will love this! This is him channelling his strength at the height of his run on Superman ....if not better! There I said it! All that's missing his the extended cast from his original run! So again if you were a fan of his writing I say dive in and enjoy!
    Last edited by Gotham Thrasher; 08-08-2017 at 08:41 PM.
    And then there were none...

Custom Binding Thread: http://community.comicbookresources....0645aadbab2369

The All Purpose Metal Thread : http://community.comicbookresources....5299bbaefeffe8

Thrashing Like a Maniac! Gotham Thrasher's Avatar

Ahhhh ! Sorry for all the bad spelling and grammar mistakes! I'm on my mobile and editing is a b@#ch! I hope you can understand all that! Point is ...Jurgens Action comics is great! Lol
    And then there were none...

Custom Binding Thread: http://community.comicbookresources....0645aadbab2369

The All Purpose Metal Thread : http://community.comicbookresources....5299bbaefeffe8

His Action Comics is great. Its one of the best books out. I think his work at Marvel was great also.

I think the man is a professional who does a solid job.
    Not slick or stylish like so many of todays writers,
    just a blue collar worker who puts 100% into his work.

He does the job well enought, but in some ways his writting is kind of stuck in the 90s, so if depends of how much you can stomach that kind of thing.

If you enjoyed the Triangle Era for Superman, you'll dig Action Comics since Rebirth began. It's almost like a continuation of his 90's work, quality wise. Having grown up on Post-Crisis Superman, I'm loving Action right now. It's like finding that old jacket you used to wear every day years ago...it's not as flashy as a new jacket off the rack, but damn it's comfy to slip back into it!
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

Quote Originally Posted by Gotham Thrasher View Post
    . . . I don't know if it was because he was rusty or editorial interference or what but I just couldn't get into his Green Arrow , JLI and Superman during the New 52.
    How come people are talking about Dan Jurgen's Green Arrow for the New 52?
    Did he actually write any of those issues?
    (I thought he did some art work and also co-plotted a few issues written by Keith Giffin after J. T. Krul wrote the first three issues?)

I can't speak for Batman Beyond, but his latest run on Action Comics has been great.
    Nothing ends, Adrian. Nothing ever ends.

His writing is still dated, but his plotting is still good. Superman Reborn fixed up most of the problems Action was having when Rebirth first began. Then the book was near unreadable. Turns out though once the mythos lost that dimensional refugee-Superman status quo, it improved a lot. So that idiocy was the main cause of the title being bad. His dialogue and exposition is still very 90s, though.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El