Page 1 of 25 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Secret Empire #8 [Spoilers]

- Sam has a message for everyone including those under the bubble and outside the shield
    - The resistance found a cosmic cube fragment in an Inhuman camp
    - Turns out these fragments also have a little bit of power so they want to use it to bring down the shield etc.
    - The Heroes fight back on all fronts
    - Then it seems like the fail
    - But the, succeed anyway in the end
    - The teams arrive at Sam's location and also: Namor. And he has Bucky with him.
    - Meanwhile T'Challa is captured and the other Steve Rogers encounters Kobik

My opinion: While a decent issue, I'd say it is the weakest one yet. The art isn't my cup of tea and the constant "We can do it, no we can't, yes we can!" Symbolic was a bit meh and the entire thing a bit rushed.

I'd have prefered to see some more interactions like those between the Guardians and Carol instead of a fast paced "summary" like that.

On the other hand, many complained that the event started to drag so maybe this is exactly what the overall story needed.
    "̶l̶̶e̶̶t̶'̶s̶̶ ̶̶h̶̶a̶̶v̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶o̶̶m̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶f̶̶u̶̶n̶̶,̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶b̶̶e̶̶a̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶.̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶ ̶̶w̶̶a̶̶n̶̶n̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶a̶̶k̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶r̶̶i̶̶d̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶o̶̶n̶̶ ̶̶y̶̶o̶̶u̶̶r̶̶ ̶̶d̶̶i̶̶s̶̶c̶̶o̶̶s̶̶t̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶"
    "Let's have some fun, this riff is sick. I wanna mosh around in the Circle Pit!"

Matt's Stuff [Blog]: Star Wars Visions: Ranked
    Matt Eduardson [YT]: Palpatine's Return - Dark Empire VS The Rise of Skywalker

My Twitter

This series has been dragging since #3, but I'm super happy with the reveals. Namor, Sam and Bucky were characters I was looking forward to stepping up in this event and came up huge here. Glad it happened and I was shocked that Namor had a plan all along. Well played, Nick Spencer.
    Last edited by Of Atlantis; 08-09-2017 at 06:48 AM.
    Currently Reading: DC: Shazam /// MARVEL: Daredevil, Invaders, Winter Soldier /// IMAGE: Seven to Eternity /// TITAN: Bloodborne

Upcoming Reading:

Trade Waiting: IMAGE: East of West, Black Road, The Black Monday Murders /// DARK HORSE: Hellboy, Witcher

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Of Atlantis View Post
    This series has been dragging since #3, but I'm super happy with the reveals. Namor, Sam and Bucky were characters I was looking forward to stepping up in this event and came up huge here. Glad it happened and I was shocked that Namor had a plan all along. Well played, Nick Spencer.
    Indeed Agree, I have to Give Spencer credit in that with Namor, brought a smile to my face!

I am very pleased about the reveal and Bucky being apart of his reveal as well, Great great delivery by Namor, the Namor situation was also really bothering me as well.

Now I just want to know what happened in Wakanda and Black Panther because he has been boss in holding Stevil Back.
    "By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

This series has been dragging since #3, but I'm super happy with the reveals. Namor, Sam and Bucky were characters I was looking forward to stepping up in this event. Glad it happened and I was shocked that Namor had a plan all along. Well played, Nick Spencer.
    Yeah, all of Steves oldest and closests friends (Bucky, Sam, Namor) have had it really rough in this event. It's sort of nice to see things finally turning around a bit and seeing them start to shine.

Quote Originally Posted by CJStriker View Post
    Indeed Agree, I have to Give Spencer credit in that with Namor, brought a smile to my face!

I am very pleased about the reveal and Bucky being apart of his reveal as well, Great great delivery by Namor, the Namor situation was also really bothering me as well.

Now I just want to know what happened in Wakanda and Black Panther because he has been boss in holding Stevil Back.
    Sort of reminds me of Wakanda in Infinity. They took a blow, but at least the writers gave Wakanda a strong win early on to sort of balance it out.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Sort of reminds me of Wakanda in Infinity. They took a blow, but at least the writers gave Wakanda a strong win early on to sort of balance it out.
    Indeed, Hopefully so.

I need to go back and read infinity but I know that Wakanda had some important moments in it with the black order!

Also hope they show what is happening in Wakanda in the next issue or in another book.
    "By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

The situation with Wakanda, as well as more insight into the Namor/Bucky reveal and Cosmic Fragment are explored in Cap #25 for anyone wondering.
    Currently Reading: DC: Shazam /// MARVEL: Daredevil, Invaders, Winter Soldier /// IMAGE: Seven to Eternity /// TITAN: Bloodborne

Upcoming Reading:

Trade Waiting: IMAGE: East of West, Black Road, The Black Monday Murders /// DARK HORSE: Hellboy, Witcher

The situation with Wakanda, as well as more insight into the Namor/Bucky reveal and Cosmic Fragment are explored in Cap #25 for anyone wondering.
    This is one of those events where I don't think you can JUST read the main book. I think you REALLY need to read Steves Cap book in order to get a complete picture of the story.

Emma lose her fragment. Namor not come to help.

Astonishing Member

Ok so what is the vanishing point and if its spinning out of secrete empire why is generations comming out early

Astonishing Member Tazpocalapse's Avatar

I thought the speech that Sam gave at the beginning was touching almost like a thank you to the supporters of Marvel Comics during this time of tension and division. I think that some of the scenes would have had more of a emotional impact if we got the inner thoughts of certain characters besides the narration of hope and failure. Loved the brief dialogue between Namor and Misty sassy snark vs imperial arrogance. A few lines in the book made me laugh. Not much Hydra Cap in this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    This is one of those events where I don't think you can JUST read the main book. I think you REALLY need to read Steves Cap book in order to get a complete picture of the story.
    Yea I agree that is why I always get everything Marvel is putting out or mainly really the relevant books in the main universe and important side stories.

Thanks for letting us know which book has the story!

I think most writers have left Namor's connection to the X-Men behind, unfortunately. That was a powerful alliance too.

Besides, not like she helped Atlantis when the Squadron Supreme, Proxima Midnight, or Wakanda attacked them.

Upcoming Reading:

Different styles for different people.
    I liked the dialogue and character interaction heavy last issues much more with a bigger of focus on one-on-one fights if any compared to what we got here.
    I also don't care much for either Bucky or Namor so there is that.
    "̶l̶̶e̶̶t̶'̶s̶̶ ̶̶h̶̶a̶̶v̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶o̶̶m̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶f̶̶u̶̶n̶̶,̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶b̶̶e̶̶a̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶.̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶ ̶̶w̶̶a̶̶n̶̶n̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶a̶̶k̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶r̶̶i̶̶d̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶o̶̶n̶̶ ̶̶y̶̶o̶̶u̶̶r̶̶ ̶̶d̶̶i̶̶s̶̶c̶̶o̶̶s̶̶t̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶"
    "Let's have some fun, this riff is sick. I wanna mosh around in the Circle Pit!"

Matt's Stuff [Blog]: Star Wars Visions: Ranked
    Matt Eduardson [YT]: Palpatine's Return - Dark Empire VS The Rise of Skywalker

My Twitter

I think most writers have left Namor's connection to the X-Men behind, unfortunately. That was a powerful alliance too.

Besides, not like she helped Atlantis when the Squadron Supreme, Proxima Midnight, or Wakanda attacked them.
    Honestly I don't think had that strong a connection to the mutants as a whole. His interaction with them prior to Utopia was pretty minimal, and that's basically the state of it now. It was an alliance of convenience more than anything else, which just ran it'seems course. It's not like the Invaders, who were legit friends.