Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Why wouldn't they?

Hydra is an organization with nice toys.

Wakanda is a COUNTRY with better toys and a long history of combating Invaders.

To Hydra, Wakanda should be both David and Goliath
    In this instance I'd say Hydra was David and they managed to chuck a rock at Goliath head for an upset win. But in the least Wakanda was acknowledged as the Goliath.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    There was fighting involved... we just don't get a lot of it in the main book. Events sort of tend to do that. They skim on the fights to keep things moving.

We get a bit more in the Cap book.
    This is true, but I also think it should be a bigger focus, super-powered fights and throwdowns are one of the biggest and best things in comic books, an event is the perfect place to depict a high-scale super-powered fight, like say, Hydra army against the technologically advanced Wakanda, that has the potential to make an amazing and epic issue for the readers witnessing a massive scale battle.

That said, this issue was still pretty good and one of the best of Secret Empire.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Namor actually gets to do heroic things? In a modern Marvel comic book??

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by SlimJ87D View Post
    I want to give a different take on it. The type of forcefield, maybe Quasar just has the type of energy that is meant ti disrupt it.
    Honestly, its probably more the fact that what the bands can do. Starbrand is just planetary destructive force. Quasar is not only a level or two beyond that in pure force, but the bands can absorb most forms of energy, and can probably simply absorb or disrupt the field. Remember that when Wendell had the bands, he was able to stand up to Silver Surfer's best shots.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by davew128 View Post
    Honestly, its probably more the fact that what the bands can do. Starbrand is just planetary destructive force. Quasar is not only a level or two beyond that in pure force, but the bands can absorb most forms of energy, and can probably simply absorb or disrupt the field. Remember that when Wendell had the bands, he was able to stand up to Silver Surfer's best shots.
    Actually, we missed a important detail. Sam was flying in between the Dark Force bubble and the shield wishing that they'd both be undone with a pretty big chunk of the cosmic cube.

So I don't know how that factored into it all, but it must have.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by davew128 View Post
    You guys are arguing how could Quasar break the shield if she got incapacitated by a Leviathan, but the real question here is how did Quasar break the shield when a freaking Ultimate Nullifier could not ?? Any way you spin it, Quasar does not have more destructive power than an ultimate nullifier.

That aside, I donīt think you guys are looking at the events the way they were told, it wasnīt actually Quasar who broke the planetary shield, it was the fragment of the cosmic cubeīs power acting through Quasar, the same way it wasnīt Miles who decided not to kill Steve, but it was Steveīs cube fragment who made Miles not to kill Captain America, at least thatīs the way I interpreted it, otherwise there is no point in the revelation of the fragments having a bit of power on their own. It becomes even clearer that it was the fragment and not Quasar when you take into account that Strangeīs spell didnīt work to break the Darkforce bubble, but as soon as the fragment of the cosmic cube came into play, the spell worked because the cosmic cubeīs power acted through the spell the same way it acted through Quasar.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

I really liked this issue of Secret Empire. It's just good to finally see some optimism. Plus, there was some real fun humor. The brownstone one was in the preview, but it was a good chuckle. Now to read Captain America #25:

"Read this issue BEFORE Secret Empire #8"
    Damn it.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wall-Crawler View Post
    You guys are arguing how could Quasar break the shield if she got incapacitated by a Leviathan, but the real question here is how did Quasar break the shield when a freaking Ultimate Nullifier could not ?? Any way you spin it, Quasar does not have more destructive power than an ultimate nullifier.

That aside, I donīt think you guys are looking at the events the way they were told, it wasnīt actually Quasar who broke the planetary shield, it was the fragment of the cosmic cubeīs power acting through Quasar, the same way it wasnīt Miles who decided not to kill Steve, but it was Steveīs cube fragment who made Miles not to kill Captain America, at least thatīs the way I interpreted it, otherwise there is no point in the revelation of the fragments having a bit of power on their own. It becomes even clearer that it was the fragment and not Quasar when you take into account that Strangeīs spell didnīt work to break the Darkforce bubble, but as soon as the fragment of the cosmic cube came into play, the spell worked because the cosmic cubeīs power acted through the spell the same way it acted through Quasar.
    We forgot to factor in that Sam was flying in between the shield and the dark force bubble wishing for both to be undone, so some kind of luck played in also. After all, the moment Quasar goes to try and burst the shield, it is narrated that his time she has help and Sam rises with the cube fragment glowing.

The cube also healed Sam from being shot with a 50 caliber sniper rifle, lol.

So attribute the feat to the cube also.

It's quite possible the nullifier would have worked if Sam was activating the cube fragment also. But he had gotten shot and was barely conscious, only conscious enough to heal himself.
    Last edited by SlimJ87D; 08-09-2017 at 03:11 PM.

I doubt a little internal strife would distract Wakanda soldiers from their favorite past time, killing foreign invaders
    you didn't read Doom War

Quote Originally Posted by SlimJ87D View Post
    Spoilers for Captain America #25 on how Wakanda falls:

It turns out that the Wakanda diplomat, Zenzi, was brain washed by Dr. Faustus. She ended up spreading his brain rewriting everywhere in Wakanda.

At a crucial moment, Dr. Faustus and Zemo spoilers:
    appear before T'Challa and reveal that a lot of his citizens have been reprogrammed to listen to Faustus and he will have them all shoot themselves in the head if T'Challa does not surrender. So T'Challa surrenders and Wakanda falls
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    end of spoilers

thanks
    Last edited by Michael Watkins; 08-09-2017 at 03:16 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    you didn't read Doom War
    Hydra is no Doom.

BANNED

Hydra is no Doom.
    When they're led by Steve Rogers, they're better.

Quote Originally Posted by Wall-Crawler View Post
    This is true, but I also think it should be a bigger focus, super-powered fights and throwdowns are one of the biggest and best things in comic books, an event is the perfect place to depict a high-scale super-powered fight, like say, Hydra army against the technologically advanced Wakanda, that has the potential to make an amazing and epic issue for the readers witnessing a massive scale battle.

That said, this issue was still pretty good and one of the best of Secret Empire.
    I think a Versus series depicting the battles themselves a bit like during AvX but with more large scale stuff instead of duells would suit this event pretty well.
    "̶l̶̶e̶̶t̶'̶s̶̶ ̶̶h̶̶a̶̶v̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶o̶̶m̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶f̶̶u̶̶n̶̶,̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶b̶̶e̶̶a̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶.̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶ ̶̶w̶̶a̶̶n̶̶n̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶a̶̶k̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶r̶̶i̶̶d̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶o̶̶n̶̶ ̶̶y̶̶o̶̶u̶̶r̶̶ ̶̶d̶̶i̶̶s̶̶c̶̶o̶̶s̶̶t̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶"
    "Let's have some fun, this riff is sick. I wanna mosh around in the Circle Pit!"

Matt's Stuff [Blog]: Star Wars Visions: Ranked
    Matt Eduardson [YT]: Palpatine's Return - Dark Empire VS The Rise of Skywalker

My Twitter

Hydra is no Doom.
    you're right. Ant-Man led a successful attack on Doom; on Doom's own territory. Hydra just leveraged his daughter.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    you're right. Ant-Man led a successful attack on Doom; on Doom's own territory. Hydra just leveraged his daughter.
    Under Spencer, Ant-Man had trouble with Whirlwind. He makes everyone an idiot.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    When they're led by Steve Rogers, they're better.
    Really? Because even though Cap had a privileged connection with the Avengers, he's struggled to contain them, failing to do so this entire series. I don't think Doom would have tossed away the element of surprise to make everyone an offer he knew that they'd refuse.