Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    More eldritch than thou Venomous Mask's Avatar

Default Anyone here reading the Venom series and Venomverse [SPOILER WARNING]?

There seems to be no threads on this. Anyway, has anyone else here been reading the Venom ongoing series and Edge of Venomverse? So far, I'm really liking the ongoing; I think Eddie is really being treated as a serious character, and the dynamic between him and the symbiote is quite interesting, with both truly acting as separate characters instead of one or the other doing all the talking and completely taking control of the Venom persona.

#153 was pretty good. Venom protecting the underground dinosaur community is very reminiscent of when he protected the homeless city in San Francisco. Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur were great additions to the story. The ongoing plot of Alchemax and Liz Allan has potential; I wonder if Liz really wants to help Venom in exchange for favors for the company, or is playing some other game. She's definitely taken on a hard-edged mentality, and has more than enough experience in being around super villains. The ending was interesting; on another site, one person suggested that Brock might go back to being a journalist under an assumed identity to support himself, which I think opens up the door for a plethora of interesting stories.

As for Edge of Venomverse, the latest issue was interesting. With the symbiote t-rex in this one and Venom taking control of Devil Dinosaur in #153, this month has had two separate stories featuring Venom-powered tyrannosaurs. The story itself with Old Man Logan was okay for what it was worth; a quick introduction to the character that will be used in Venomverse. All of the Edge issues I've thought have been good, though the X-23 one was a bit dull. The Host Hunter story was insane, and I can't wait to see more of him. I do have somewhat high hopes for this event, as the previews I've seen so far have looked great. I really do hope that the writers put focus on the Ann Weying Venom, possibly even bringing her into 616.

In a recent interview with Cullen Bunn, Latour and Lowe, Bunn stated that Agent Venom will be coming back in some form or another. In #151, a small piece of the symbiote was left behind in the hospital; if it bonded with Flash, or if another version of the symbiote came to 616 during Venomverse, that could be a way to bring back Agent Venom. Once Venomverse is over, I do think that the market could support both a Venom and an Agent Venom series as both are unique characters with established fan bases. Also, it was said in the same interview that Mania and Carnage will be back sometime as well, with Lowe stating that "you will not be believe what we are going to do with Carnage so stay tuned."
    "I should describe my known nature as tripartite, my interests consisting of three parallel and disassociated groups; a) love of the strange and the fantastic, b) love of abstract truth and scientific logic, c) love of the ancient and the permanent. Sundry combinations of these strains will probably account for my...odd tastes, and eccentricities."

Haven't read it, but I understand that there's going to be a RYV story in it. Because of that, I'm thinking about reading it in trades.

I picked up issue 153 today and it was pretty good. I will have Venom put on my pull list now. I haven't read Venomverse though.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Venomous Mask View Post
    #153 was pretty good. Venom protecting the underground dinosaur community is very reminiscent of when he protected the homeless city in San Francisco. Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur were great additions to the story. The ongoing plot of Alchemax and Liz Allan has potential; I wonder if Liz really wants to help Venom in exchange for favors for the company, or is playing some other game. She's definitely taken on a hard-edged mentality, and has more than enough experience in being around super villains. The ending was interesting; on another site, one person suggested that Brock might go back to being a journalist under an assumed identity to support himself, which I think opens up the door for a plethora of interesting stories.

As for Edge of Venomverse, the latest issue was interesting. With the symbiote t-rex in this one and Venom taking control of Devil Dinosaur in #153, this month has had two separate stories featuring Venom-powered tyrannosaurs. The story itself with Old Man Logan was okay for what it was worth; a quick introduction to the character that will be used in Venomverse. All of the Edge issues I've thought have been good, though the X-23 one was a bit dull. The Host Hunter story was insane, and I can't wait to see more of him. I do have somewhat high hopes for this event, as the previews I've seen so far have looked great. I really do hope that the writers put focus on the Ann Weying Venom, possibly even bringing her into 616.

In a recent interview with Cullen Bunn, Latour and Lowe, Bunn stated that Agent Venom will be coming back in some form or another. In #151, a small piece of the symbiote was left behind in the hospital; if it bonded with Flash, or if another version of the symbiote came to 616 during Venomverse, that could be a way to bring back Agent Venom. Once Venomverse is over, I do think that the market could support both a Venom and an Agent Venom series as both are unique characters with established fan bases. Also, it was said in the same interview that Mania and Carnage will be back sometime as well, with Lowe stating that "you will not be believe what we are going to do with Carnage so stay tuned."
    I really liked #153. Good end to the "Land Before Crime" arc.

I've been digging the new Venom series since the start and it hasn't let me down yet. My only wish is that we do get to see more of Lee Price and Flash before too long.

I also wondered if the end of the issue was alluding to the idea of Brock becoming a journalist again.

With Peter returning to the Daily Bugle soon, that could be really interesting.

As for Edge of Venomverse, I haven't read the build-up but I absolutely will be getting the main book when it comes out.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Haven't read it, but I understand that there's going to be a RYV story in it. Because of that, I'm thinking about reading it in trades.
    That's probably because VenoMJ will be starring, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by nnelg View Post
    I picked up issue 153 today and it was pretty good. I will have Venom put on my pull list now. I haven't read Venomverse though.
    Currently its only Edge of Venomverse, with the main characters being established. #4 was released today.
    "I should describe my known nature as tripartite, my interests consisting of three parallel and disassociated groups; a) love of the strange and the fantastic, b) love of abstract truth and scientific logic, c) love of the ancient and the permanent. Sundry combinations of these strains will probably account for my...odd tastes, and eccentricities."

The artwork in EoV has been pretty consistently terrible. Hopefully it improves for the main event.

All-New Member

I miss Agent Venom. Would love to see him in his own book again.

That's probably because VenoMJ will be starring, I think.
    Yeah, that sounds about right. I think it was going to be in a subseries that contained short stories running adjacent to the main story, but I'm not sure which issue.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Yeah, that sounds about right. I think it was going to be in a subseries that contained short stories running adjacent to the main story, but I'm not sure which issue.
    I thought the most recent issue of RYV was going to end with MJ being transported to wherever the various Venoms were being assembled, but it just ended with her and Peter coming to terms with her bond to the symbiote and vowing to work through things. It'll be interesting to see when, or if, RYV MJ joins the other Venoms.

Of course, I'm reading it. Classic Venom is my boy. How could I not show him some love?
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    I really liked #153. Good end to the "Land Before Crime" arc.

I've been digging the new Venom series since the start and it hasn't let me down yet. My only wish is that we do get to see more of Lee Price and Flash before too long.

I also wondered if the end of the issue was alluding to the idea of Brock becoming a journalist again.

With Peter returning to the Daily Bugle soon, that could be really interesting.

As for Edge of Venomverse, I haven't read the build-up but I absolutely will be getting the main book when it comes out.
    I think Lee Price will become Anti-Venom (don't quote me on that though) and Agent Venom will be coming back in some form. With Brock being a journalist, I wonder what kind he will be; will he work for a legit paper or some rag? It would be awesome if he disguised himself and went back to working at the Daily Globe. With EoV, I'm sure the issues will be collected in a trade.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    I thought the most recent issue of RYV was going to end with MJ being transported to wherever the various Venoms were being assembled, but it just ended with her and Peter coming to terms with her bond to the symbiote and vowing to work through things. It'll be interesting to see when, or if, RYV MJ joins the other Venoms.
    The Captain America Venom has just been yanking Venoms from their home dimensions left and right, so it could suddenly just happen in the next month or so in RYV, with no warning to Peter or Anne.

Quote Originally Posted by Profnewell View Post
    I do think that both he and Brock could support their own books, kind of like how we have a separate series for Peter and one for Miles.

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Of course, I'm reading it. Classic Venom is my boy. How could I not show him some love?
    The 90s series is currently being collected in tpb form, with Separation Anxiety being the latest. Carnage Unleashed was recently collected in the Classic Carnage graphic novel.

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Profnewell View Post
    Yeah, I really miss Flash. I preferred Eddie as Toxin, so Flash could stay Venom.

BANNED

The Captain America Venom has just been yanking Venoms from their home dimensions left and right, so it could suddenly just happen in the next month or so in RYV, with no warning to Peter or Anne.
    Well the tenth issue previews from Nate Stockman's twitter months back only ever showed Peter and Annie in them, and Nate joked that MJ was out seeing Wonder Woman. Perhaps MJ is taken at the start of the issue and is deposited back at the end

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Well the tenth issue previews from Nate Stockman's twitter months back only ever showed Peter and Annie in them, and Nate joked that MJ was out seeing Wonder Woman. Perhaps MJ is taken at the start of the issue and is deposited back at the end
    I didn't know that, I really want to start following RYV once I get the money. In the Venomverse spread image, VenoMJ and the Lee Price Venom seem to be getting close; I wonder if this was just for the picture or if it will be followed up in the story?

Last night I came across this awesome picture. It's most of the popular symbiotes done in the style of the 90s show, I'd really love to see this be put into actual animation: