Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Amazing Member

You know, for a war, we've seen like almost no action.

I understand that it's the framing device King has chosen, but I think it was the wrong choice.

Bruce Wayne trying to mediate between the Joker and the Riddler? Sure, why not .

Why is Penguin on Joker's side? I feel like he and Riddler would get along better. Then again, I don't think King cares to go into detail about all of the Rogues' motivations for joining their specific side.

Janin getting to draw all these Bat-villains is a positive. His Ivy looks divine .

Im sure that will be an interesting meal!

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Katana500 View Post
    Im sure that will be an interesting meal!
    Batman history: The craziest dinner party in the history of Wayne Manor. Poor Alfred.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Bruce Wayne trying to mediate between the Joker and the Riddler? Sure, why not .

Why is Penguin on Joker's side? I feel like he and Riddler would get along better. Then again, I don't think King cares to go into detail about all of the Rogues' motivations for joining their specific side.

Janin getting to draw all these Bat-villains is a positive. His Ivy looks divine .
    Penguin was working for Carmine Falcone. Joker took over his operations after he "failed" to kill Riddler. I'm going to guess its out of fear for what Joker is capable of.

Once again King comes with the unexpected. This looks promising

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Looks okay, but I was expecting this story to be much better. Kind of a letdown so far.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Valens View Post
    I was just about to say this
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

I can't say I'm surprised it's not as actioney as some might have expected. While King has praised that you learn most about Batman from action, it's clear (like with the Swamp Thing issue) that King more prefers substance over action. If the two overlap great, if he has to dial back action for substance, it seems he will do that.

For a lot of writers, it's about putting out the best story first and foremost (this is your run on Batman, make the most of it, because you may never get another shot). King has won some awards and critical acclaim and maybe that has shown him that his less actioney drama can be his best work, the best story.

We may want more writers to serve up 90s style action fests, but writers are different now and tend to aim higher. You maybe tend to see more character driven stories than action driven stories.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 08-10-2017 at 12:53 PM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    I can't say I'm surprised it's not as actioney as some might have expected. While King has praised that you learn most about Batman from action, it's clear (like with the Swamp Thing issue) that King more prefers substance over action. If the two overlap great, if he has to dial back action for substance, it seems he will do that.

For a lot of writers, it's about putting out the best story first and foremost (this is your run on Batman, make the most of it, because you may never get another shot). King has won some awards and critical acclaim and maybe that has shown him that his less actioney drama can be his best work, the best story.

We may want more writers to serve up 90s style action fests, but writers are different now and tend to aim higher. You maybe tend to see more character driven stories than action driven stories.
    I think King has definitely excelled with the drama or more low-key and subdued elements of his run then he has the action or "blockbuster" aspects.

It's probably why his two-parters or one-and-dones have generally gone over a little better then his full-on arcs. At least from my perspective.

For a war with almost every Batman villains, nothing much is going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Valens View Post

I understand that it's the framing device King has chosen, but I think it was the wrong choice.
    I would had like to see how each rogue was chosen, or how they chose who they were going to side with. Like I think a few panels of that, showing Riddler and Joker being violent with some of them, that probably would had been good.

I also would had like to see how Catwoman didn't choose a side. Like did they even ask her? Or did they and she turned them down? That would had been cool to see. Also, maybe how Alfred was reacting to the War as well.

Quote Originally Posted by The Whovian View Post
    Looks okay, but I was expecting this story to be much better. Kind of a letdown so far.
    Agreed. Was also expecting this to be a low key Grayson origin, similar to The Long Halloween, but it doesn't appear were going that way.

At this point I've lost a bit of interest, I'm more interested in why certain villains chose their sides.

I am not a fan of this take on the Riddler. He looks like Digger.