Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Always Rakzo

... WHAT THE FLYING F*CK WAS THIS?!

Did you suspect that The Joker of War and Riddles was an arc where nothing actually happens? Well, that suspicion becomes a reality here due that this is just an issue with characters talking at the table.

Characters talking at the table!

THIS IS BRIAN BENDIS STUFF! Except that at least Bendis can let his characters be funny from time to time, we're supposed to take all of this frikking seriously! Which results in an immensily boring chapter where the plot barely progressed a bit.

But do you know what I consider the worst part? That King tries to make this all deep by fulling the issue of metaphors about the themes of the story. Yes, he made this incredibly dull issue this way just to show the complexity of this arc but without any actual nuance in the plot progression, character work or ideas, he's just relying on his own style.

People, this is pretentious AF.

Mikel Janin's artwork never disappoints, the problem is that this just another case where King simply doesn't give him anything interesting to draw. Well, he does draw appealing food at the very least.

Can't believe that I was excited about this story at the beginning. When am I going to learn?

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Weird. I actually thought this was one of the first times that the issue felt meaningful instead of just telling me stuff that happened in narration.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

BANNED

Wow. Literally nothing happens.

What a complete waste of an issue, my time, and money. No plot progression, characters talking to themselves the same exact way they've been talking to themselves this entire arc, pretty much no new information of any kind...and for what? The interactions weren't really even remotely interesting, it played out about as boring as the situation possibly could have. I guess King had some cool idea about vaguely aligning courses of a meal with a conversation, but it never really felt like it, and there never seemed to be a point to it. Completely meaningless. No substance. I guess he was hoping that idea would carry the issue and force me to see value in it for that alone? This issue felt like 100% filler that King phoned in because he's been spending his time writing Mister Miracle.

Bruce continues to be annoyingly clueless and uninspiring. I mean really? Giving up and ligning with a mass-murderer? This seems like an absolute last resort but we really haven't even seen him try a damn thing besides his idiotic disaster of a plan in the Kite-Man issue. I know this Batman is supposed to be "new" but...he's already a year into being Batman, after having taken on both the mob and the corrupt GCPD, and this is after having trained for nearly a decade straight (Why do Joker and Riddler seem so experienced and like they have fought Batman 100 times?). To have him be so incompetent, it just seems contrived. I hope he's happy about getting those hostages killed just so he could have his stupid dinner. Also Two-Face and Ivy sporting Riddler-themed armbands while playing the part of lackeys just feels plain wrong in so many ways. Don't even get me started on Riddler himself, walking around like a wannabee male model with an open shirt, carving giant question marks into his skin, committing wanton murder for no reason, etc...King doesn't even spend time giving us reasons why these characters are acting the way they are.

Also this might be Janin's worst issue yet. Parts of it literally look like low-budget 3-D renders. I can't stand looking at his Bruce, his jawline alone is hilariously overstated and damn-near comical. Not to mention he keeps the same exact facial expression nearly the entire time.

BANNED

Reading some of the reviews and these comments I was sure I would hate it but this actually was my favorite issue of this entire arc, loved it.

I found it to be really good, my favorite issue of the arc alongside the Kite Man one. We have see Gotham victim of gang wars and the rogues fighting so many times that it's great to see that there are still things than can be added to the mix instead of only showing the villains fighting in the streets, as Arkham War did, which I felt was pretty dull. Minor complain: when Riddler says he will kill Batman loved ones we see Batgirl, Alfred and Nightwing (who shouldn't exist, so let's call him Robin without a cape), so I guess Batgirl and Robin already existed in the second year or maybe it was just the idea of bat allies that Riddler had or Bruce/Selina thinking about it in the present or maybe I´m giving it more rounds that I should.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Looking forward to reading this. I will say I usually am not a fan of Bruce interacting in Batman's world. They should be as separate as possible.

Looks good, though. I love the idea of no actual fight...just a truce between two warring factions of the criminal underworld. Interesting.

LoL i liked this. It was silly, yet profound.

This was terrible lmao.

Liked this issue a ton.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SixSpeedSamurai View Post
    I am not a fan of this take on the Riddler. He looks like Digger.
    He looks HOT...like really sexed up....which for the riddler isn't really in character. Nice eye candy, but...

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    LoL i liked this. It was silly, yet profound.
    it was different and honestly I love the art the concept was a bit....odd.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Some appear to have forgotten she's a Batman villain, and one of my favorite villains.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 08-16-2017 at 02:04 PM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    Some appear to have forgotten she's a Batman villain, and one of my favorite villains.
    TBF she's often been portrayed in a sympathetic and grey light since Neil Gaiman's Black Orchid in the late 80's. For some people, that's older than their own age. That's how one particular interpretation got its own fanbase, especially if they got into Batman comics in the 90's.

I think the Magneto/Emma Frost ambiguous morality makes her more interesting than pitch black. Her cause is evergreen (no pun) in its pressing relevance.

And a rapist, just ask to Count Vertigo

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    So is Catwoman, she gets to be the only person in Gotham the writer decides is better then all this.

BANNED

I was expecting a more clever jokes & riddles theme. Like there was something in a joke or a riddle that tied to a murder(s) instead of a sleepy joker and a mob boss riddler.