Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starting Metal

Default Starting Metal

My lcs has been holding the metal issues till I could afford the extra cash to buy them. Was gonna get them at the end of November when there was an extra Wednesday but I got a new part time job and was able to buy what has been put out so far. Freaking 50 bucks for 14 issues so far. I'm not gonna track down my individual threads to talk about each issue as I read. I'm gonna discuss them here.

Why the hell is there an ad for Dark Days The Casting in the back of Dark Days The Casting.
    Stick "we work together and we get out of here alive"

Matt "peace out suckas"

I did not notice it back then. I think in almost all books coming out of DC had the same ad. It was the same with Dark Days The Forge. But it is weird that the book carries the ad of itself. This is promotion overkill. 'Dark Days The Forge' is followed by 'Dark Days The Casting'. The two books are the prelude to the Metal event.

Greg Capullo wasnt well while working on it. Thats why Snyder and Morrison are doing Wild Hunt in February: to give Capullo a break

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Metal is great so far. Never imagined Snyder would go use a DCU event to tie up little mysteries (some that I didn't even think much about) in his Batman run. I'm getting most of the big issues and definitely getting all the trades. Preordered the prelude trade.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

So far the drowned is the worst of the dark nights batmen books.
    Stick "we work together and we get out of here alive"

Matt "peace out suckas"

Quote Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
    So far the drowned is the worst of the dark nights batmen books.
    Really? The Drowned was my favorite. It did tie pretty heavily into the ongoing themes of Aquaman, so you might not get as much out of it if you don't follow that.

I haven't been following Metal, but looking to start. How many issues will it go (#5 just dropped today)? And can I just read the 2 preludes + the main series or are the tie-ins essential as well?
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

Quote Originally Posted by Clark_Kent View Post
    And can I just read the 2 preludes + the main series or are the tie-ins essential as well?
    Snyder always tries to write his events, what I call, tie-in-overs like that...where you can just read his chapters if you prefer and understand enough, get the core of the story. He has stated repeatedly that's his aim with events.

But Snyder is involved with more issues than just 1-6 and the preludes, so you at least have to read a little more:
    Dark Days: The Forge
    Dark Days: The Casting
    Dark Nights: Metal #1
    Dark Nights: Metal #2
    Dark Nights: Metal #3
    Batman Lost #1 (this might be my favorite issue of Metal)
    [The Batman Who Laughs #1...Tynion, no Snyder, but arguably important enough for various reasons, Snyder hyped it up a bit, Tynion is his close pal]
    Dark Nights: Metal #4
    Dark Nights: Metal #5
    Dark Knights Rising: The Wild Hunt #1
    Dark Nights: Metal #6

One of the best (if not the best) resources I've seen online on Metal:
    https://www.comicbookherald.com/read...reading-order/
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 01-31-2018 at 01:34 PM.

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    Snyder always tries to write his events, what I call, tie-in-overs like that...where you can just read his chapters if you prefer and understand enough, get the core of the story. He has stated repeatedly that's his aim with events.

But Snyder is involved with more issues than just 1-6 and the preludes, so you at least have to read a little more:
    Dark Nights: Metal 1
    Dark Nights: Metal 2
    Dark Nights: Metal 3
    [The Batman Who Laughs #1...Tynion, no Snyder, but arguably important enough for various reasons, Snyder hyped it up a bit, Tynion is his close pal]
    Dark Nights: Metal 4
    Dark Nights: Metal 5
    Dark Nights: Metal 6

I concur, it's most definitively the issues needed to be read to understand Metal. However, the Dark Knights tie-ins are also interesting to understand them, and both Gotham Resistance and Bats out of Hell, the two crossovers for Metal were good and a nice addition, if a little useless in the main issue. I also think that Hawkman Found is a lust read, after issue 4.

Ah, thank you for the link. I had been planning to trade wait everything, but with the delays of Doomsday Clock I figured I'd jump into Metal to scratch that "event" itch. I'll probably still trade wait the tie-ins like Gotham Resistance, but I'll be jumping on these others through comixology for sure (I usually go digital on the floppies, and physical for the HC's & tpb's.

Once again, you're the man with all the bat-answers! Much appreciated.
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

Good condensed list you have there...good link as well - so what all are you reading, personally? All of it? Certain chapters?

Quote Originally Posted by bobellis75 View Post
    Good condensed list you have there...good link as well - so what all are you reading, personally? All of it? Certain chapters?
    I'm checking out more than the Snyder core, but I'm not reading all of the issues so far. I've liked the Red Death one and the Merciless one. I'm getting all the trades, so I will check them all out eventually. I'm gonna custom bind Metal in my Scott Snyder Vol 4 (that appears to basically end Snyder's first run on Batman comics as he seems to claim he will shift to new characters).

I'm checking out more than the Snyder core, but I'm not reading all of the issues so far. I've liked the Red Death one and the Merciless one. I'm getting all the trades, so I will check them all out eventually. I'm gonna custom bind Metal in my Scott Snyder Vol 4 (that appears to basically end Snyder's first run on Batman comics as he seems to claim he will shift to new characters).
    Good idea on the binding....