Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Folks did CARE-however the EDITOR for that book didn't and get Tony Isabella removed.

Yes you have more interesting black heroes-the issue has always been USAGE or someone in charge not caring for them.

Also an attitude change has to happen at DC-you can't get mad if folks like certain characters more than others.

You can't bury John Stewart to make Hal look good. Same with Wally & Barry.

You can't toss out Cyborg with no support and wonder why he can't sell.

Why is it a battle to find someone that can do something with Steel or BL?
    Well because Black Lightning and Steel were long overdue to a better push than what they have. Forget John Stewart and Cyborg. John Stewart is a member of the Green Lanterns just like Hal Jordan, Guy Gardner, and Kyle Rayner. Hell, Cyborg is a team member of the Titans who the Titans themselves was a team full of sidekicks who got older and better. It's good they did push Cyborg, but John Henry Iron's was a wasted potential. They could of redid his armor, kept the sledgehammer and still pushed him and rebuild from there. Why did you think Morrison put Steel: John Henry Irons on the JLA during his run? Black Lightning also started getting a push around 2004. Why would you just throw that away. You know Geo-Force was getting a push just like Black Lightning and they DROPPED THE BALL!

I rather they push Steel: John Henry Irons and Black Lightning before they even messed with Cyborg and John Stewart Green Lantern.

BANNED

I don't dislike Duke, I'm not just interested at all in the character outside of WAR.

Same here. Same here. I do not understand why the fuss over people disliking him. I worded it the way I did, but it's just that Duke comes off as a, "we need to put a different person in the Batman mythos to stand out!"

I don't dislike him, but I'm not interested in him either. The Batfamily is already big, I would prefer if the writers focused on the character development and relationships between the characters they already have established and are underdeveloped. For example, they could elaborate on the relationship between Tim and Damian, Jason and Dick, Cass and Jason, Stephanie and Dick, Stephanie and Jason, Luke and Jason, Kate and the Robins, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Diggy View Post
    The Batbooks desperately need new life and talent, and a head writer who will embrace the existing Batfamily and try to tell great stories with them rather than shipping them off in favor of their pet characters.
    You are right. We need that desperately.

Quote Originally Posted by Diggy View Post

The fundamental problem that Snyder and Tynion and his team don't understand is that compelling characters don't start off being completely perfect and amazing and instantly loved.Compelling characters are flawed, and improve upon their flaws (compelling characters are never absolutely perfect) over the course of their story, and begin to earn respect and love through actions and personality.

Ex: Damian Wayne. Morrison introduced him absolutely packed with flaws and everyone's immediate reaction was "This psychopathic dickhead twerp is supposed to be Batman's son?? Hell nah." then over time we started to see the likable side of Damian come out, and through actions the fans embraced him and he became a legitimate fan-favorite. He wasn't just thrown onto the page with some interviews telling us he's the greatest thing since sliced bread and we should love him and read his new comic book.
    Another example the GREEN LANTERN JESSICA CRUZ... She is not the same character that appeared in JL comics years ago..

Thanks to the GL spoilers, we knew about her future as 1st female human GL... But until darkseid war end, she was only another member of the JL for me(as batman said she was a victim, I couldn´t hate her), and now I am fan of Jess, I see her evolving since her first appearance and during the current GL volume..

and now, after a few years of existence she is popular, something good.
    Last edited by adrikito; 08-11-2017 at 06:04 AM.

Fans of other Batman characters (mainly Tim Drake fans) are worried he's taking up their space in the comics/replacing them. It doesn't matter that nearly ever bat family character around is being represented at pretty well recently, they will always see him as a threat.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by adrikito View Post
    GREEN LANTERN JESSICA CRUZ
    I think the people who say a lot of us only don't like Duke because he's new really need to take a look at some of the others Rebirth either introduced or re-invented. The aforementioned Jessica Cruz? Incredibly popular. Kong Kenan and the JLC? Not selling the best in floppies, but most who read about them love them. Emiko Queen? Not as popular as the others I mentioned, but she still has plenty of fans. Hell, even within the BatFam, we've got Basil. And while some may accuse me of only loving him as much as I do because he's friends with Cass, it's still pretty apparent that he's the one thing even detractors of 'Tec acknowledge Tynion is doing a good job with.

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    I think the people who say a lot of us only don't like Duke because he's new really need to take a look at some of the others Rebirth either introduced or re-invented. The aforementioned Jessica Cruz? Incredibly popular. Kong Kenan and the JLC? Not selling the best in floppies, but most who read about them love them. Emiko Queen? Not as popular as the others I mentioned, but she still has plenty of fans.
    Hell, even within the BatFam, we've got Basil. And while some may accuse me of only loving him as much as I do because he's friends with Cass, it's still pretty apparent that he's the one thing even detractors of 'Tec acknowledge Tynion is doing a good job with.
    Cass and Karlo friendship is special, no one can doubt this...

I like Karlo for the same reason... Even if he returns to the evil side, maybe, I will continue as his fan only for this.
    Last edited by adrikito; 08-11-2017 at 06:29 AM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Panfoot View Post
    Fans of other Batman characters (mainly Tim Drake fans) are worried he's taking up their space in the comics/replacing them. It doesn't matter that nearly ever bat family character around is being represented at pretty well recently, they will always see him as a threat.
    Tim Drake has it hard. First Damian. Now Duke. When will the new characters keep on outshining him end?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by yohyoi View Post
    Tim Drake has it hard. First Damian. Now Duke. When will the new characters keep on outshining him end?
    Duke hasn't done anything to even outshine Tim's collection of "So 90's they hurt" outfits, let alone Tim himself.
    Last edited by Assam; 08-11-2017 at 06:48 AM.

I don't dislike Duke and I know from the other thread that a lot fans have quite specific and justified reasons for disliking the character. This is a forum and I respect everyone's right to voice their opinion not matter how toxic, but to be clear the comments calling Duke's creation an attempt to diversify or affirmative action are very disrespectful not just to the creator of the characters but also to the readers who are of the same ethnicity as Duke. I personally have no love for the character and what I have seen of him in various books has been boring, there's nothing which draws me to learn more about him. The fact that he's getting getting a book with Bruce instead of other characters is in my opinion purely down to the ego of the writer or a push to make the character central to the bat mythos so as to claim royalties later on (I'm not sure what the policy is on royalties is at DC so this may be inaccurate).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by lucius121 View Post
    I don't dislike Duke and I know from the other thread that a lot fans have quite specific and justified reasons for disliking the character. This is a forum and I respect everyone's right to voice their opinion not matter how toxic, but to be clear the comments calling Duke's creation an attempt to diversify or affirmative action are very disrespectful not just to the creator of the characters but also to the readers who are of the same ethnicity as Duke. I personally have no love for the character and what I have seen of him in various books has been boring, there's nothing which draws me to learn more about him. The fact that he's getting getting a book with Bruce instead of other characters is in my opinion purely down to the ego of the writer or a push to make the character central to the bat mythos so as to claim royalties later on (I'm not sure what the policy is on royalties is at DC so this may be inaccurate).
    Yeah, as I've expressed in both threads now, the anti-diversity crap from some is apparent and really pisses me off.

In any franchise new characters tend be viewed negatively as they take up space that could used to develop a preexisting character that someone loved. This is even true of the x-men which is the only superhero franchise built to have legacy characters or expansion past their initial premise. So with these characters you have to give them a cool hook to help differentiate them from the others and I think that's what Duke lacks.

They keep saying he's different or special without giving a strong reason why he was till Metal. But him having superpowers isnt the right kind of change because its too external. You need to ground that in a strong character beat for him so that he can carry forward to other stories.

So i'm hoping this new miniseries can capture that for him.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 08-11-2017 at 08:07 AM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    In any franchise new characters tend be viewed negatively as they take up space that could used to develop a preexisting character that someone loved. This is even true of the x-men which is the only superhero franchise built to have legacy characters or expansion past their initial premise. So with these characters you have to give them a cool hook to help differentiate them from the others and I think that's what Duke lacks.

They keep saying he's different or special without giving a strong reason why he was till Metal. But him having superpowers isnt the right kind of change because its too external. You need to ground that in a strong character beat for him so that he can carry forward to other stories.

So i'm hoping this new miniseries can capture that for him.
    I agree. You are right. We need to grade Duke as himself. Not compared to Tim, Steph, Cass, etc. We might be missing some cool things about him, because of jealousy.

Mighty Member

They haven't given me a reason to like him besides being black. Except I've already been through this game with Marvel and just making a character that looks like me isn't enough. They need an interesting personality and backstory and to you know not be a blatant attempt to put down other characters I love. Duke is not interesting and needs better writing.Like the way Priest is writing current Tanya and Wally. Or Seeley writes Helena. Or Simon and Jessica. New Superman Kenan. Or even Luke Fox by Tynion. All more interesting in a shorter time period.