Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default Is anyone feeling broken up due to the demise of Parker Industries?

I know it may seem like a obvious question having an obvious negative answer but if some readers are going to end up missing this PI phase of peteds life then they can give voice to what aspect of this ers are they going to miss. I myself may be feeling nostalgic already due to the likely final appareance of his spider armour. Those who don't miss it and would see Peter serve as a vassal of mephisto rather than see PI being reformed are free to express their dislike too.

BANNED

Never cared for it, and the emergence of RYV only made me appreciate everyman Peter and more grounded adventures even more.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Never cared for it, and the emergence of RYV only made me appreciate everyman Peter and more grounded adventures even more.
    yes. Everyman peters comeback may be due to the success of this series or maybe it was just not viable for them to keep on telling fresh stories using PI.

Cool

In no way, shape or form, good riddance I say.

Now if we can just replace Mockingbird with Black Cat....
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

BANNED

I always dislike it very much when new ideas are replaced by old ones.

Not really, it never felt "real" in a sense, too much like Willy Wonka's factory. Doc Ock started the business waaay too easily, and then it went global between volumes. Outside of ridiculous vehicles and Chekov gun gadgets it really didn't make a lasting impression on me. Oh well, easy come, easy go.
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Parker Industries wasn't really that new a concept. Peter in Tony Stark's role and fudging it up worse than even he normally does does not make for original or even compelling reading.

It also had way too many ''final act'' moments. Volume Three, Clone Conspiracy, even Osborn Identity. All those stories instructed you to prepare for the end.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 08-10-2017 at 01:10 PM.

Not in the slightest. But, to be fair, Peter didn't care much about it either. And if Peter doesn't care about something, why should the readers?

BANNED

Parker Industries wasn't really that new a concept.
    Yes, I totally recall Peter running a company and all that from back in the 70's...

Should we be?

Outside the idea of Peter "living up to his potential" through it, which I don't really agree with, were we really given much reason to be invested in it?

In the end it just felt like an attempt at synergy with the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon which...kind of speaks for itself .

BANNED

Yes, I totally recall Peter running a company and all that from back in the 70's...
    To be fair, his apartment could convert into a high tech crime lab in Amazing Friends...

My point still stands. It was ''new'' to Spider-Man, but it sure as hell wasn't an original concept for a character, and had been done better with others. What's the point in giving anything a new spin if you're just going to telegraph ''blown opportunity'' every month with how Peter acted?
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 08-10-2017 at 01:45 PM.

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

Yeah, definitely agree. Parker Industries was by far the best thing that happened to Peter since he got married in the 80s.

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

I mostly miss having Peter finally take on a responsible role in his civilian life, and stop wasting his potential as one of the smartest people in the world due to no reason but horrible characterization on the writers' part. And while this wasn't really dealt with too much in the actual ASM comics (thanks for wasting the opportunity, Slott), I miss Peter having the opportunity to built cool armor and tech for superhero adventures and being prepared in advance for villains rather than always stumbling into his various adventures. And finally, I miss Peter finally moving up to a more fitting role in the Marvel Universe than being stuck as a street level hero for no reason but (yet again) horrible writing. Basically, I miss everything about it expect for the supporting cast, and the mostly underwhelming stories Slott told with it. I still wish a better writer had been moved onto ASM in time for Volume 4 so we could have better taken advantage of this amazing status quo, rather than having Slott waste it all with his thin plots and inconsistent characterization.

BANNED

My point still stands. It was ''new'' to Spider-Man, but it sure as hell wasn't an original concept for a character, and had been done better with others. What's the point in giving anything a new spin if you're just going to telegraph ''blown opportunity'' every month with how Peter acted?
    Well, there is no new, everything has been done with some character or other.

So, we should just stop bothering to try?

Fantastic Member

No, I won't miss it. It wasn't horrible, but it was bizarre and out of place for Spider-Man. Made more so because Otto did absolutely everything.

It's hilarious reading circa 2008 Marvel material about Peter's relatability, then to think they'd give his the go ahead only a few years later. And the whole 'bodyguard' stuff was a direct take off from early Iron Man.

I'm looking forward to seeing what comes next.

I'm glad JJJ Snr and PI are gone, both unnecessary departures from the core of the book.