Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think when you put him under scrutiny he doesn't really fit as an everyman but he's a character who's much more at home with more relatable or down-to-Earth situations then constantly finagling with super-science, new gadgets, or owning his own multi-billion dollar company in my opinion.

The teaching job, the Bugle, and his relationship with MJ have all felt more genuine to me then any of Parker Industries has.
    No, of course, I understand people having their opinion on what stories they like with Peter. Personally, while I enjoyed the Bugle job during Peter's early days, I think it far overstayed its welcome in my mind, and I felt the teaching job was just plain illogical. Of course, I really enjoy the marriage, just like pretty much everyone else, lol. However, I personally love the super-science angle with Peter, because of how well it ties into his whole responsibility shtick (which actually IS the core of the character) and because it is so much more interesting to me, as a science geek. As for Parker Industries, I think you already know that I liked it a lot, though I would have preferred Peter working in a smaller company which produces much more advanced, but less mainstream, tech, that he co-owned with a business partner (I mean, Peter doesn't strike me as a guy who would build essentially really advanced smart watches). Peter would have been in charge of R&D while his partner would have taken care of the business side. I think that is both different enough from other characters, while not making Peter look like a loser, and offering a lot of story potential.

Anyways, I literally posted because I just didn't like how people keep throwing around the word "everyman" like it's a fact when it is demonstrably untrue.
    Last edited by blackspidey2099; 08-15-2017 at 05:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by blackspidey2099 View Post
    No, of course, I understand people having their opinion on what stories they like with Peter. Personally, while I enjoyed the Bugle job during Peter's early days, I think it far overstayed its welcome in my mind, and I felt the teaching job was just plain illogical. Of course, I really enjoy the marriage, just like pretty much everyone else, lol. However, I personally love the super-science angle with Peter, because of how well it ties into his whole responsibility shtick (which actually IS the core of the character) and because it is so much more interesting to me, as a science geek. As for Parker Industries, I think you already know that I liked it a lot, though I would have preferred Peter working in a smaller company which produces much more advanced, but less mainstream, tech, that he co-owned with a business partner (I mean, Peter doesn't strike me as a guy who would build essentially really advanced smart watches). Peter would have been in charge of R&D while his partner would have taken care of the business side. I think that is both different enough from other characters, while not making Peter look like a loser, and offering a lot of story potential.

Anyways, I literally posted because I just didn't like how people keep throwing around the word "everyman" like it's a fact when it is demonstrably untrue.
    And I think the science/tech side of Spider-Man has been vastly overplayed as of late, with Parker Industries doing nothing for me on that front, but I can see where you would find it more appealing.

Currently MagSeven

I didn't like it. It showed Pete living up to his potential, but he was too much like Stark and I would think that with all the big brains working there, realistically he would have had his identity exposed any day. It's been far too long since we've seen Parker worry about his rent. Where the hell does he even live now anyway?
    Last edited by MagSeven; 08-15-2017 at 10:52 PM. Reason: My phone doesn't respect "Their, They're and There as much as I do.

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    And I think the science/tech side of Spider-Man has been vastly overplayed as of late, with Parker Industries doing nothing for me on that front, but I can see where you would find it more appealing.
    Well, let's hope that the next ASM writer can find a good balance between both of our interests in Spider-Man!

Maybe if it had been gotten another way, but the means by which we got PI kind of soured me on the concept. So not too sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    He's a low-level superscientist.
    He's the unluckiest person who ever lived.
    He was a 15 year old kid was briefly a pro-wrestler and who worked for a proper newspaper.
    He has never even met a woman who couldn't be a supermodel.
    He lives with his 105 year old aunt.
    The devil himself took a personal interest in his love life.
    His parents were SHIELD agents (I do not know if they still were, but they were at some point in continuity).
    He's an orphan with three dead parents.

And that is without going into the whole 'he's a frelling superhero' thing.

What is everyman about this?
    Tbf I don't think Deb Whitman could be considered a super model.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Tbf I don't think Deb Whitman could be considered a super model.
    Just because she wears glasses and not a lot of makeup?

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Just because she wears glasses and not a lot of makeup?
    Don't know of any super models that wear glasses and don't wear make up.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gnarlly View Post
    Is Peter's Everyman life really that bad? He is loved/liked/respected by his family and friends, he went to college, he is able to pay his bills and live fairly comfortably through a variety of interesting jobs (he is rarely broke or destitute any more), he even married a supermodel who was a loving wife after dating other knockouts. Yes the marriage was taken away, and yes things don't come as easy for him as Bruce Wayne or Tony Stark, but I think you are casting him in too negative of a light. Despite a lot of tragedy in his life, he seems much more grounded and down to earth than Bruce Wayne and other comic book alter ego characters.
    Fair point. His life doesn't suck nearly as hard as I made it sound, at least not in more recent years. My real problem is with what seems to be Marvel's presumption that Peter not merely constantly struggling, but constantly failing or falling flat despite his best efforts, is what makes him relatable to readers. Basically, he's not actually supposed to be a loser, just a guy who struggles through life like everyone else, but Marvel likes to treat and depict him like he is a loser because that's what makes him an "everyman" character. Again, what kind of message does that send about how Marvel looks at its audience?
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Good it was stupid and shows Marvel's double standards. Peter can't be married to Mary Jane cause it makes him too unrelatable to the readers but Peter can have his own successful global business.

BANNED

To answer the question to this thread I would say No as Peter should have closed the company the moment he came back.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Fair point. His life doesn't suck nearly as hard as I made it sound, at least not in more recent years. My real problem is with what seems to be Marvel's presumption that Peter not merely constantly struggling, but constantly failing or falling flat despite his best efforts, is what makes him relatable to readers. Basically, he's not actually supposed to be a loser, just a guy who struggles through life like everyone else, but Marvel likes to treat and depict him like he is a loser because that's what makes him an "everyman" character. Again, what kind of message does that send about how Marvel looks at its audience?
    Amazingly said. I would go further and say, or a person is a everyman (average guy) or he is a loser. A loser is someone below the average, someone that had one life and can't cope with the challenges it offers and mostly because of their own fault. So, what the point of following a loser having a double life? There is no stakes here. People doesn't relate or sympathize with someone who cause their own failures. If you have a character that is always failing or when winning just sowing his future defeat where he will lose even more, over and over again it comes to a point that the said character just lose so much that everyone just stop to care.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    To answer the question to this thread I would say No as Peter should have closed the company the moment he came back.
    The reason he didn't was his sense of responsibility to the people Otto got working for him while using his body and identity. Sure, he could just close down the company, but then that leaves a lot of people who trusted "him" in the lurch, and Peter's much too compassionate for that. I suppose the middle ground would be that Peter steps down from leadership of the company and places that in the hands of someone he can trust to not use it for outright evil ends or for selfish profiteering. And since he torched the company when it became very clear that he wouldn't be able to keep it out of the hands of those who'd use it for evil ends . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksuit View Post
    Amazingly said. I would go further and say, or a person is a everyman (average guy) or he is a loser. A loser is someone below the average, someone that had one life and can't cope with the challenges it offers and mostly because of their own fault. So, what the point of following a loser having a double life? There is no stakes here. People doesn't relate or sympathize with someone who cause their own failures. If you have a character that is always failing or when winning just sowing his future defeat where he will lose even more, over and over again it comes to a point that the said character just lose so much that everyone just stop to care.
    Thanks, and that's a pretty good point, too, especially with certain individuals seeming to believe that "Spider-Man's worst enemy is Peter Parker."
    The spider is always on the hunt.

To answer the OP (because I don't want to touch this everyman argument with a ten foot barge pole)
    No I'm not broken up with the downfall of Parker Industries however I'm feeling lukewarm to what I feel we are likely to get a down on his luck peter parker who lives with his aunt and struggles with money. I think Horizon was a good phase for me or when he was teaching (though that had issues) but the whole struggle thing I'm over it.
    Truth is the best policy

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

Quote Originally Posted by WeirdSpider View Post
    Good it was stupid and shows Marvel's double standards. Peter can't be married to Mary Jane cause it makes him too unrelatable to the readers but Peter can have his own successful global business.
    but one of those things is and was always a temporarily plot line (PI) and the other is supposed to be a permanent status quo change. (Marriage)
    Last edited by The Negative Zone; 08-28-2017 at 04:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Negative Zone View Post
    but one of those things is and was always a temporarily plot line (PI) and the other is supposed to be a permanent status quo change. (Marriage)
    One of them was character development(the marriage). The other was putting the character in a completely new situation which doesn't suit the character.