Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The Best Books You're Not Reading

DC's got a lot of good books out there right now. So does Image, IDW, Dynamite, BOOM!, Dark Horse, and even Marvel still has more than a few gems at the moment. Pretty easy for great books to slip through the cracks, especially if it's about a lesser known character.

So what're the best books out there (limited to DC I suppose since that's the forum we're on) that no one else is reading? Doom Patrol? Deathstroke? New Super-Man?

What're your suggestions?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

I know I don't shut up about it, but yeah, New Super-Man. It's brilliant on pretty much every level, with a great cast, very nice art, and interesting ties to Chinese culture and mythology. There are other contenders for the best Rebirth book, but this is my definite favorite.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Shade, the Changing Girl is terrific.

All the Young Animal books are rock solid. Doom Patrol is great. Mother Panic. Cave Carson. Bug!

It looks like people are coming around to AQUAMAN now, but I've been enjoying Dan Abnett's run for a while. It doesnt always hit the mark, but it is really consistently engaging and entertaining.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 08-11-2017 at 02:50 PM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Doom Patrol is the big one. I do want to eventually get into New Super-Man as well. Aquaman has been consistently solid since Rebirth began, but the addition of Sejic has made it Godly. He tends to have that impact.

I'm not sure if it counts, but I adore Supergirl and it's one of my favorite books each month, but nobody seems to talk about it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Doom Patrol is the big one. I do want to eventually get into New Super-Man as well. Aquaman has been consistently solid since Rebirth began, but the addition of Sejic has made it Godly. He tends to have that impact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post

It looks like people are coming around to AQUAMAN now, but I've been enjoying Dan Abnett's run for a while. It doesnt always hit the mark, but it is really consistently engaging and entertaining.
    Aquaman comes in just behind New Super-Man for me. Didn't think it counted as a book "no one else is reading."

Mother Panic. It has enough issues out now that it's both easy to get caught up, and enough to see real growth from Violet. There's enough story there that the initial hurdle of the series (waiting for more and more revelations about Violet and her past) is easily cleared now, rather than having to wait months and months.

And of course, the obligatory Batwoman rec. Issue #6, out next week, supposedly ties in very strongly to Detective Comics, and sound like a good jumping on spot for anyone who's reading that already. Plus, the second arc sounds much wilder than the first one, which was already pretty enjoyable, if low-key.
    Last edited by Caivu; 08-10-2017 at 07:58 PM.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

New Super-Man is an excellent book that not a lot of people are reading, which is a real shame. Its got everything I want in a comic and its a really fun book.

Also my obligatory Red Hood and the Outlaws recommendation. I can't praise this book enough. I know Lobdell is a big turn off for some people but he's really been on fire since Rebirth. This is one of the best books coming out of Rebirth IMHO. The characters are fully fleshed out, the stories are very polished and the art is stellar. It also features the best version of Bizarro I've seen in a long while. Its just finished a very emotionally charged two part story revolving around Bizarro in fact and the next arc will be dealing with the repercussions of that story.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Aquaman is stellar and has been for some time.
    A non DC book that I adore but seems largely ignored, is I Hate Fairyland. Skottie Young is obviously having a blast on the book and it shows.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Aquaman & Blue Beetle

Considering the selling numbers... Deathstroke man. Go read it, it's amazing !

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    I know I don't shut up about it, but yeah, New Super-Man. It's brilliant on pretty much every level, with a great cast, very nice art, and interesting ties to Chinese culture and mythology. There are other contenders for the best Rebirth book, but this is my definite favorite.
    New Super-man is totally my favourite too! I just love it! Defo worth checking out

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    Aquaman comes in just behind New Super-Man for me. Didn't think it counted as a book "no one else is reading."
    AQUAMAN surely counts as a book that not ENOUGH people are reading!

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Red Hood and the Outlaws. I know all of the Jason Todd fans are reading it, but I don't hear much from other fans about this book, which is a shame because this book is amazing.

If you haven't given it a try, please do so.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Astonishing Member

Red Hood and the Outlaws (favorite book from Rebirth)
    Aquaman
    Deathstroke

Astonishing Member

Green Lanterns
    Deathstroke
    Aquaman