Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default So I'm thinking of getting into Doctor Aphra.

I have a two questions. 1. Is it good? 2. Is there anything I should know or need to read before getting started?

BANNED

Yes, and mostly just the first Darth Vader series, I think.

Yeah, Aphra is mainly introduced in the Vader series. She's sort of a 'grey area' character. She helps Vader deal with rivals who want to gain the Emperor's favor after Vader's failure at the Death Star, and also in his search for Luke. She then sort of fakes her death and strikes out on her own, the subject of the current series. Although it now appears Vader has become aware of her deceit if recent issues are any indication.

She also has a history with Sana "Solo" Starros.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

I think it's one of the best series in Marvel's Star Wars publishing line to date.

If you want to read it, this's what you should read first at bare minimum (in order and in trade paperback form):

- Star Wars: Darth Vader: Vol. 1: Vader

- Star Wars: Darth Vader: Vol. 2: Shadows and Secrets

- Vader Down

- Star Wars Vol. 3: Rebel Jail

- Star Wars: Darth Vader: Vol. 3: The Shu-Torun War

- Star Wars: Darth Vader: Vol. 4: End of Games)

The Darth Vader series also overlaps with the main Star Wars comic series a lot, so it might be useful to factor that in as well. In that case, the order is:

- Star Wars Vol. 1: Skywalker Strikes

- Star Wars: Darth Vader: Vol. 1: Vader

- Star Wars Vol. 2: Showdown on the Smuggler's Moon

- Star Wars: Darth Vader: Vol. 2: Shadows and Secrets

- Vader Down

- Star Wars Vol. 3: Rebel Jail

- Star Wars: Darth Vader: Vol. 3: The Shu-Torun War

- Star Wars: Darth Vader: Vol. 4: End of Games)

(While not directly connected, reading Star Wars Vol. 5: Last Flight of the Harbinger and Vol. 6: Yoda's Secret War will keep you caught up in time for The Screaming Citadel, a crossover miniseries that functions as the second Doctor Aphra story arc.

I got into Doctor Aphra with issue #9, which was kind of a good jumping-on point. All I needed to know was that she was an opportunist who had worked with both Vader & Luke, travels with droids that are basically dangerous opposites of Threepio & Artoo, and probably should do everything possible (and then some) to avoid running into Vader again.

You'd think that faraway galaxy is a big place, but it can get rather small at times...
    "Ignore them. They're nothing but a bunch of basement dwellers who spend all day whining on the 'net. Not a single open-minded one in the bunch."
    --Andre Briggs, Justice League International #1

Okay I've decided I'll try to find the jumping on point and the current arc. Thanks everyone for your help.

BANNED

Doesn't seem terrible from the very little I've read, but nothing special either. Kind of feels like some girls weird Star Wars fanfic though, like: Oh, I'm Han Sole, I've got my own Chewbacca, R2D2, and C3P0, but they're like all evil (and not in a fun way like Knights of the Old Republic)...oh and I'm also Indiana Jones 'cause Harrison Ford.

It kind of reminded me of Space Dandy. If you changed Dandy from a rare alien hunter into an archaeologist, and then sucked all the weirdness and humor out of it. Mind you, Doctor Aphra is meant to be funny, it just really isn't. In fact, have you seen Space Dandy? If not, just watch Space Dandy. If you have, just watch it again. You know, if you're looking to read sci-fi space comics, there's a lot out there that's better than Doctor Aphra.

Actually, Evil C3P0 called something "twee", that was pretty fucking terrible. I don't know, the more I think about it the more I'd say it probably sucks. It's a comedy comic that isn't funny, and very little of anything happens in an issue. You'd think a comedy book about a "rogue archaeologist" would be doing little one and done stories where she finds herself in different weird funny situations while trying to uncover whatever. But she doesn't, it's just like nothing is happening.

Spectacular Member Doctor-Comics's Avatar

I rather like Doctor Aphra. The character and the book.

Evil droids are always problematic because they are usually played as "unique," but there's a ton of them kicking about.

Still, 0-0-0- and Beetee are joyously fun.

Aphra may be a bit of a Mary Sue--some people argue she is--but I like her as a strong female character in a genre that always needs them.

The writing's been good, if maybe a little slow (all the Star Wars books are pretty slow, as are many modern comics in general) and the art is quite good.
    "The history of comics is not a long one, and it's not unknowable."--Neil Gaiman

Quote Originally Posted by Za Waldo View Post
    Actually, Evil C3P0 called something "twee", that was pretty fucking terrible.
    That's actually a British term; meaning "quaint" or "sentimental" (not a compliment in this case).

Honestly, I hated Aphra in the beginning. I didn't like her 'Lol, I'm evul' personality, but now she is actually facing some consequences for her actions, she is pretty compelling.

She is like an evil Indiana Jones in space.

How you can you not like that!?
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    She is like an evil Indiana Jones in space.

How you can you not like that!?
    Mainly because EVVVVUL characters that face no consequences is one of my pet hates in star wars.

Quote Originally Posted by Manda-Panda View Post
    Mainly because EVVVVUL characters that face no consequences is one of my pet hates in star wars.
    She is getting consequences now.

Sometimes it takes time for bad people to face the music.

I do agree she's more compelling now than in the beginning.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Looks like she's getting a figure too (but on the smaller scale).

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/07...-leia-figures/
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Looks like she's getting a figure too (but on the smaller scale).

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/07...-leia-figures/
    Oh, yeah, the Aphra figure was part of a "pick a character" fan poll. The character actually beat out a lot of favorites (like a Rebels-era Ahsoka Tano). (There was some a drama in regards to the preliminary rounds that narrowed down the final list, so I guess it was a pretty interesting poll overall). I'd voted for Aphra (her being a favorite of mine), so I was pleased. The models of the toy look pretty darn good too.

Kinda funny that the packaging says "Star Wars Legends" in that linked article, given that Aphra is not a Legends character (I suspect that that might tick off some Legends fans, given the aforementioned controversy).