Question Can I skip Civil War II go to Avengers: Standoff to get into Secret Empire?

What say u?

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

I say everyone should skip Civil War II.

I haven't read Avengers: Standoff, but it's by Spencer as well, and I believe it's where the whole Cosmic Cube/Kubik (sp?) plot started, which plays a role in Secret Empire.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Standoff is actually before Civil War II. I'd say you'd be able to go from Standoff to Secret Empire as Standoff is actually integral to Empire's plot whereas Civil War II serves as almost a tie-in. All you need to know is a bit of background information and one key event, which you could find if you wiki'd it.

Appreciate your input guys

Is it advisable to get Secret Empire Prelude to bridge d gap?

Incredible Member

The onky thing you need to read from CWII is The Oath

Quote Originally Posted by osakafanz View Post
    Appreciate your input guys

Is it advisable to get Secret Empire Prelude to bridge d gap?
    The prelude collects some of Standoff (mostly the main parts) and some Cap issues. I wouldn't recommend the prelude, but I'd say you'd enjoy Empire more after reading the three Captain America: Steve Rogers trades leading up to it.

True or False and explain if false: If you know that Cap is a bad guy and works for Hydra . . . then that's all you need to know to read Secret Empire?

This is a legit question. I'm curious about SE, but I have no desire to read the Cap run or Standoff

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    True or False and explain if false: If you know that Cap is a bad guy and works for Hydra . . . then that's all you need to know to read Secret Empire?

This is a legit question. I'm curious about SE, but I have no desire to read the Cap run or Standoff
    Pretty much. That's the guts of it and I'm pretty sure there's a recap page at the start of the book anyway to catch you up. You may miss some references, but it shouldn't matter. I'd say the book works fairly well as a standalone.

Quote Originally Posted by ArkhamJamie View Post
    Pretty much. That's the guts of it and I'm pretty sure there's a recap page at the start of the book anyway to catch you up. You may miss some references, but it shouldn't matter. I'd say the book works fairly well as a standalone.
    Cool - Thanks!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post

Just curious as to why you are not interested in reading those books. Standoff was a good story imo, and Cap's run to setup SE has been great.

Quote Originally Posted by Punjabi_Hitman View Post
    Just curious as to why you are not interested in reading those books. Standoff was a good story imo, and Cap's run to setup SE has been great.
    Eh, I just find Spencer's writing average at best. I'm not even sure I'll read SE but I'm somewhat curious about it if only to see the sh@! hit the fan with Cap as the main bad guy. I think that might be cool (although we all know at some point he'll be back to being a good guy).

Recommended reading order are as follows:

1. Avengers Standoff
    2. Captain America: Steve Rogers volume 1 to 3
    3. Secret Empire

Am I right???

Quote Originally Posted by osakafanz View Post
    Recommended reading order are as follows:

1. Avengers Standoff
    2. Captain America: Steve Rogers volume 1 to 3
    3. Secret Empire

Am I right???
    Why yes. Yes you are.
    “The Avengers have been the one point of stability in my entire life. And if The Avengers call… then The Scarlet Witch will always answer.”