Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Seinfeld

50 81.97%
  • Friends

11 18.03%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by GozertheGozarian View Post
    Seinfeld failed the comedy part of sitcom.
    The idea of a comedy is to be funny. In that regard Seinfeld was the master of the absurd. Still the funniest show on TV ever.

I feel like Mad About You should be in there somewhere...

But yeah Seinfeld.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    I feel like Mad About You should be in there somewhere...

But yeah Seinfeld.
    Man I binged all of mad about you last november/December and it really doesn't hold up. It has a few strong eps and the finale was kinda good but the random disappearance of characters or the recasting just bummed me out.

Fantastic Member

I like both shows and watch them in reruns a few times a week. I think Seinfeld is the better show...and that's in spite of Jerry, not because of him. I personally felt he was the weakest link and without the spectacular supporting cast, it would have been a dud. I don't think he's funny at all.
    Last edited by DennisTheMenace; 08-14-2017 at 03:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DennisTheMenace View Post
    I like both shows and watch them in reruns a few times a week. I think Seinfeld is the better show...and that's in spite of Jerry, not because of him. I personally felt he was the weakest link and without the spectacular supporting cast, it would have been a dud. I don't think he's funny at all.
    Jerry Seinfeld knew that. If asked he would say he was the weakest character and the others were funnier. That was by plan. But it was Jerry's and Larry David's show and brilliant because of them.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

"We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Extraordinary Member

Seinfeld was on the whole more clever but it also made it's characters a bit more caricatures of people than actual people. While Friends was less clever but had a more human element to it.

For what it's worth. I'd rather binge watch Friends but if I only got to watch one episode in a single sitting I'd pick Seinfeld.

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    Seinfeld was on the whole more clever but it also made it's characters a bit more caricatures of people than actual people. While Friends was less clever but had a more human element to it.

For what it's worth. I'd rather binge watch Friends but if I only got to watch one episode in a single sitting I'd pick Seinfeld.
    I would say Friends are caricatures except really Rachel and Chandler.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    You're not alone. I never watched either show.
    Really, never? That's as amazing as people who have never seen an episode of Law and Order.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackmando7 View Post
    Really, never? That's as amazing as people who have never seen an episode of Law and Order.
    What's Law and Order?

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    What's Law and Order?
    It was sort of a combination of Dragnet and Perry Mason. The first half hour two detectives would investigate a crime and arrest a suspect. The second half hour would be the trial of the accused.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DennisTheMenace View Post
    You don't think he's funny but he's one of two people that wrote the whole show.

Jerry feels like the weakest link because he's the straight man on the show. Its intended that everyone else is more kooky than he is. But yeah, when you consider that he was actively involved in creating, crafting, and writing those kooky characters, then it wasn't a good show in spite of Jerry. It was directly because of him.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Jerry feels like the weakest link because he's the straight man on the show. Its intended that everyone else is more kooky than he is. But yeah, when you consider that he was actively involved in creating, crafting, and writing those kooky characters, then it wasn't a good show in spite of Jerry. It was directly because of him.
    I think Jerry's the weakest in terms of acting, and this "can't act" limitation is referenced a few times when they were making the (fictional) TV show. The straight man is needed for the comedy to work and I don't think Martin or Abbot would be considered the weak link in their teams.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Seinfeld and it's not even close.

Though I agree with those mentioning Frasier. I'm not sure if I like it more than Seinfeld, but it's damn close.

Friends just sucked outside of maybe Phoebe.