• Friends

11 18.03%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    You could create your own poll:

Frasier
    Wings
    Fresh Prince
    Thanks but I'm good. Just adding to the Frasier love in the this thread.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by DennisTheMenace View Post
    You could write walls of text for days and my opinion of Jerry Seinfeld remains the same. I don't like his standup routine, I thought his acting was often bad on the show,
    That actually made the show funnier for me. There were end scenes where the other actors were committed and you'd see Jerry trying to contain his laugh/smile.

When I watched Seinfeld, they felt like real people to me with all their flaws. George seemed like he could be friends with Jerry and Elaine. Jerry is just some dude in his apartment with his friends stopping by.

Compare this to Friends, I never felt like these were real people with real reactions. Maybe it was too "LA" to me and maybe Californians acts this way but this constant hugging and all that stuff felt like fantasy land. I never had a bunch of friends that were like this ever, always together for example. Maybe it happened when I was a teen or in college but not when I was in my 20s or 30s. They would have annoyed the Hell out of me. Most of my life has always been closer to Jerry's. I have my apartement, a friend stops by, sometime my neighboor stops by. And that's it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DennisTheMenace View Post
    You could write walls of text for days and my opinion of Jerry Seinfeld remains the same. I don't like his standup routine, I thought his acting was often bad on the show, and while watching Seinfeld, Jerry rarely made me laugh. I loved the show despite these things. Have a nice day, I'm done with this idiocy.
    Yeah, it remains the same, you find Jerry Seinfeld funny, because you find the show he writes funny. Doesn't matter if you don't like his stand-up, doesn't matter if you didn't like him on the show, you still found the show he wrote to be funny.

Hey, thanks, you have a nice day too.

I couldn't stand those shows. Just like How I Met Your Mother and Big Bang Theory. Pretentious and goofy.
    Last edited by Red Wolf; 08-17-2017 at 10:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Redwolf View Post
    I couldn't stand those shows. Just like How I Met Your Mother and Big Bang Theory. Pretentious and goofy.
    I think HIMYM is cleverly written.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

The terrible finale notwithstanding, Seinfeld by a mile.

Friends was an entertaining show. But Seinfeld was groundbreaking, bar-raising television.

20 years later, Seinfeld is still the greatest American comedy I've seen.

Friends is a riff on the basic concept, spun through a marketing formula. The end result was aimed at an audience that wants to see pretty people acting cutesy, pretending to be angsty until they finally hug it out. It definitely had some very funny moments, though.

But comparing the two is weird; it's like comparing the Backstreet Boys to the Beatles.

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    Yeah, exactly. Frasier is the best network comedy I've seen outside Seinfeld, since...1990? I still watch it.

It was written like a classic, formal comedy; it did not adjust to Seinfeld's style and pace the way the rest of TV did. In fact it remained similar in structure and tone to the show that spawned it - Cheers. But it may be even better than Cheers.

And it has an incredible cast.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyattractor View Post
    The Drew Carey Show was better then all of them combined to be honest....
    Never heard of it. Where did it take place?

Quote Originally Posted by GOLGO 13 View Post
    Never heard of it. Where did it take place?
    In the office of a department store in Cleveland, Ohio. I always thought of it as sort of a live action version of Dilbert.