Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WeirdSpider View Post

My only problem with the show is that they made Aunt Anna a bitch.
    Tell me about it! Even her design screams ''do not mess with me''.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Minerboh View Post
    Tell me about it! Even her design screams ''do not mess with me''.
    There were some episodes where I wanted to punch "Aunt Anna" in the face for being such a jerk with Peter. I doubt she will consider Peter such a loser if she knew he was saving the city all days as Spider-Man.

Fantastic Member

Anna Watson had to be the most one dimensional character on the show. Her entire purpose was pretty much nothing more than being a miserable old shrew and putting Peter down. She hired the Punisher to stalk and terrorize Peter. She was even open to the idea of Peter being a traitor to the US. I don't think she had any human moments at all.

Mighty Member

...The fact that May was friends with that harpy even though she didn't even make her hated of Peter secret (She could give VENOM lessons on hating Pete), speaks more on May's part. It is one thing for Mary Jane being stuck between them (I don' ever remember MJ defending Peter from Anna), but May DEFINITELY should have cut Anna off.

I remember HATING the "Neogenic Nightmare" arc. It dragged on WAAAAAY too long. I remember people saying Morbius had more screen time than Venom and Gobby...and I believe it.

BANNED

At least Anna was sort of accepting of Peter by the time her last appearance came around, even if it was "MJ"'s last story. I can't imagine what she'd be like if she she learned her legit niece had never come back from limbo.

I also love that the show dealt with Peter clearing his parent's names in the last season.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 08-21-2017 at 09:06 AM.

Screen Shot 2017-08-21 at 23.28.22.jpg

I included this link within my 55th Anniversary video, but didn't see anyone ever mentioning or using it, so I'll post it here instead. John Semper Jr. provides us with a fascinating, extensive psychological insight into the mind of his variation of Peter Parker. This is like a one man's screen writer's bible of Spider-Man: The Animated Series. I was really surprised by how he perceived the role of Peter's parents in his life and what their absence could have done to him later during his formation as an adult.

Fantastic Member

Thanks for all of the responses to this thread! I have dim memories of SM: TAS show when it was on since I only caught a handful of episodes at the time. However, reading about other's memories of the show is nostalgic in a way, since I do remember enjoying what I did see of the series.

Since I started the thread, I've seen a DVD of the series with several episodes. Again, great show - however, the picture quality (PQ) on the DVD was fairly sub-par. The streams I've seen of the show have fairly poor PQ as well.

So, it would be great to see this show remastered, cleaned-up, and released on Blu-ray, in it's chronological entirety - this would be a Day 1 purchase for me. Who knows if that will ever happen, however.
    Last edited by ROM Spaceknight; 08-23-2017 at 06:51 PM.

Fantastic Member

Continuing to watch some of the SM: TAS DVD's. I recently saw the Spider-Man: Return of the Green Goblin. Great story, and I liked how both the Green Goblin & the Hobgoblin were featured. I know that they changed some storyline elements from the comics, but it didn't take away from my enjoyment of the story. As I said earlier, this cartoon series captures the tone/vibe of the SM comics from the 1970's - 1980's more than any other cartoon version of the character.

What's disappointing about these DVD's is that even though they're better than nothing, they give "hints" to future storylines/characters that I wont be able to watch - at least not on home video. I.e., one of the characters in the above-mentioned Green Goblin storyline is Felicia Hardy, who is obviously supposed to become The Black Cat (though her background origin is obviously changed in this cartoon).

I know that I could stream the entire series, but it's not the same.

Spectacular Member Obeythemoderators's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
    ...The fact that May was friends with that harpy even though she didn't even make her hated of Peter secret (She could give VENOM lessons on hating Pete), speaks more on May's part. It is one thing for Mary Jane being stuck between them (I don' ever remember MJ defending Peter from Anna), but May DEFINITELY should have cut Anna off.

I remember HATING the "Neogenic Nightmare" arc. It dragged on WAAAAAY too long. I remember people saying Morbius had more screen time than Venom and Gobby...and I believe it.
    Not really defending him but at one point she hushes at her Aunt when Anna was bad mouthing Peter.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ObserveCreativeSouls115 View Post
    Screen Shot 2017-08-21 at 23.28.22.jpg

I included this link within my 55th Anniversary video, but didn't see anyone ever mentioning or using it, so I'll post it here instead. John Semper Jr. provides us with a fascinating, extensive psychological insight into the mind of his variation of Peter Parker. This is like a one man's screen writer's bible of Spider-Man: The Animated Series. I was really surprised by how he perceived the role of Peter's parents in his life and what their absence could have done to him later during his formation as an adult.
    Very fascinating read. I loved the insight here. With that kind of background information, no wonder John Semper, Jr. was able to craft such an excellent adaptation of Spider-Man.
    The spider is always on the hunt.