Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    Incredible Member Graphic Autist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ianbarreilles View Post
    But with that said and out of the way I also do believe that the treatment of Wanda maxonmoff being posssesed and making her crazy was sexist and goes all the way back to avengers disassembled to where we are now with secret empire and must say it is still very sexist more so in the context of the secret empire story.
    They've been making Wanda nuts since 1989 or 90 or so. Avengers West Coast by John Byrne. Finds out her kids were...not quite right.

Extraordinary Member

Yeah, but none impacted the chatacter like Avengers Dissemble and House of M did.
    She has been alright during Busiek's run and she knows about her lost children.
    Then in Dissemble, she just suddenly forgot and remembered, went nuts and lashed out on Avengers.
    That's laziness met sexism, Bendis didn't even bother to come up with a convicing reason that fit continuity.
    At least SE knew to bring Chthon back, though the whole process is rushed and unexplained. Still better than that AD and HoM BS.(Not saying SE is good with dealing such possession stuff, but at least Spencer knows that Chthon history. Also Elisa's Elder Gods connection is a kind of set-up, but then again she got.blown.with.no further explanation, which is a huge disappointment..)
    Last edited by MaximoffTrash; 08-14-2017 at 06:28 PM.

Incredible Member Graphic Autist's Avatar

I did read House of M recently, and I have been WAAAY out of touch with a lot that's happened in the last 20 years. Been catching up a lot in the last 6 months, but mostly on the DC side.

I don't even know what ultimately became of "no more mutants." Guessing they're still here...

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Graphic Autist View Post
    I did read House of M recently, and I have been WAAAY out of touch with a lot that's happened in the last 20 years. Been catching up a lot in the last 6 months, but mostly on the DC side.

I don't even know what ultimately became of "no more mutants." Guessing they're still here...
    The AvX event fixed no more mutants.

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    Never liked the Ultimate universe version of Sue and after reading this I'm happy I quit Ultimate Fantastic Four early.
    Oh trust me. You love Susan Storm, you would have had a frickin' meltdown if you read that.

Quote Originally Posted by MaximoffTrash View Post
    Yeah, but none impacted the chatacter like Avengers Dissemble and House of M did.
    She has been alright during Busiek's run and she knows about her lost children.
    Then in Dissemble, she just suddenly forgot and remembered, went nuts and lashed out on Avengers.
    That's laziness met sexism, Bendis didn't even bother to come up with a convicing reason that fit continuity.
    At least SE knew to bring Chthon back, though the whole process is rushed and unexplained. Still better than that AD and HoM BS.(Not saying SE is good with dealing such possession stuff, but at least Spencer knows that Chthon history. Also Elisa's Elder Gods connection is a kind of set-up, but then again she got.blown.with.no further explanation, which is a huge disappointment..)
    Oh Dissembled is sooooo sexist. Wanda meant crazy and got super hysterical because pregnancy. Women and being pregnant, am I right guys? Arrrrrrrggggghhhhh.

Extraordinary Member

Wanda didn't go crazy because of her pregnency.
    She got her memories wiped by Agatha when her twin sons are absorbed by Mephisto.
    Then she got her memories back and she dealt with that loss and moved on.

But in Avengers Dissemble, Bendis just pretend Wanda never went through these things.(Also denying Chaos Magic, like a huge middle finger to previous writers such as Busiek.)
    Because he wrote certain characters based on his headcanons, not established content.
    I believe he could come up with all kinds of ridiculous excuse just to get rid of characters he didn't want,
    Wanda's lost kids just seemed handy to him.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    The AvX event fixed no more mutants.
    Then there was the genocidal cloud in ANAD Marvel and that was fixed on IvX.

Astonishing Member Ianbarreilles's Avatar

This may be a controversial position and opinion for me to have but the entire handling of Carol Danvers character from avengers 200 aka the rape of Carol Danvers story to rogue attacking Carol and putting her in a coma nearly killing her and then the binary years onwards to the alcoholism era in busiek's avengers was honestly some of the most offense and sexist things to ever happen to the character.

Controversial because quite a lot of fans like the binary era for Carol and the busiek avengers/alcoholism era of Carol but it really came across as demeaning and sexist the storytelling decisions they made for the character and this all started as back as avengers 200, and lastly I'll admit I did like a vast majority of the work Kurt busiek did with Carol minus the alcoholism era rage alcholism stories just came across as really sexist to me.
    Last edited by Ianbarreilles; 08-14-2017 at 10:56 PM.

Invincible Member

I don't think there was anything sexist about making her Binary. If anything it was Claremont fixing the damage that was done to her in Avengers #200. And alcoholism is a problem that affects everyone, it's not sexist to show a woman struggling with the issue.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by MaximoffTrash View Post
    Wanda didn't go crazy because of her pregnency.
    She got her memories wiped by Agatha when her twin sons are absorbed by Mephisto.
    Then she got her memories back and she dealt with that loss and moved on.

But in Avengers Dissemble, Bendis just pretend Wanda never went through these things.(Also denying Chaos Magic, like a huge middle finger to previous writers such as Busiek.)
    Because he wrote certain characters based on his headcanons, not established content.
    I believe he could come up with all kinds of ridiculous excuse just to get rid of characters he didn't want,
    Wanda's lost kids just seemed handy to him.
    Yeah, this.

Plus, lets not forget how it all kicked off.

Wasp: Wouldn't it suck t have kids, Wanda? lol, never mind

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I don't think there was anything sexist about making her Binary. If anything it was Claremont fixing the damage that was done to her in Avengers #200. And alcoholism is a problem that affects everyone, it's not sexist to show a woman struggling with the issue.
    We'll have to agree to disagree than at least an extent, another thing that annoys me and I'm not talking about you specifically but the fans who feel that Carol needs to suffer to be interesting that Carol can't be a happy person.

So Avengers 200 well everyone knows my opinion on that story that's blantly sexist through and through, but then we had Carol being attacked by rogue which put her in a coma nearly killing her... and looking back that obviously happened to prop up rogue, then came the binary era which okay maybe that wasn't sexist but it did feel completely unnecessary because it further sidelined Carol what I mean is you claim that Chris Claremont was trying to fix the damage that avengers 200 did to Carol's character and you're right in that at the very least he was trying to salvage Carol's character as much as he could for what happened in avengers 200 where others at marvel had sadly more or less given up on and abandoned Carol, but sadly the reality was Chris Claremont was more focused on the x-men more then Carol and more often then not Carol spent more time in comic book limbo not appearing in most to any comics then she actually did in them, and the alcoholism era in retrospect felt completely unnecessary opposed to sexist and it felt like it was only done just to further make Carol suffer and sideline her character.

So I'll admit I was wrong to say the binary era and alcholism era was sexist and I'm still unsure if ready to say the rogue incident wasn't sexist but the fact remains that it was still in my opinion very close to being sexist the binary era and the alcoholism era in that it was a major low point for Carol and I'd say even the worst things that happened to Carol I hated the neglect and abuse writers insisted in putting Carol through in those stories and it felt like they wanted to make Carol suffer just because.
    Last edited by Ianbarreilles; 08-15-2017 at 05:03 AM.

BANNED

It's hard to agree that one woman being short changed to prop up another woman is sexist.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Star View Post
    It's hard to agree that one woman being short changed to prop up another woman is sexist.
    Following the events of avengers 200 and how close they were to each other pretty much speaks for itself when I say I have a difficult time not viewing it as sexist, and I view as sexist also because of the fact that they were damaging Carol's character by having this horrible thing Anna did to Carol just to prop up Anna's character so rogue foulerished while Carol struggled and suffered and more often then not spent extended periods in comic book limbo.

At the same time It's really a difficult thing to talk about the rogue incident is since I'm quite vocal and have been about my love for both Carol and Anna they have been and still are two of my most favorite superheroes and marvel characters for years.
    Last edited by Ianbarreilles; 08-15-2017 at 05:52 AM.

Invincible Member

Rogue was really created just as a plot device for Avengers Annual 11, Mystique's crazy girl side-kick running around causing damage. Keep in mind she also put Iron Man and Thor out of action in that issue.

It was after the fact and using her a few times as a bad guy that Chris and the other creators decided that they liked her and wanted to make her a member of the X-Men team.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Yeah, this.

Plus, lets not forget how it all kicked off.

Wasp: Wouldn't it suck t have kids, Wanda? lol, never mind
    I want to say in Dan Slott's Mighty Avengers, he negated the whole "there's no such thing as Choas magic" bit.