Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    I agree that saying men have it just as bad as women when it comes to sexism is a false equivalency, but I don't really agree with the idea that the purpose of those stories was to take something away from women or try to victimize men/villify women. If anything, the fact that some of these stories take place in old times show me that those writers knew exactly what the reality of the male/female representation was, and they reversed the roles as a way to try to make male readers sympathize with the female struggle. Also, the whole Heven thing was created by Aaron and Ewing, and then later fleshed out by Gillen and Marguerite (who's female), so I definitely don't think, at least in this last case, there was any ill intent at all, because this is definitely not the group of people on Marvel I'd call sexist.

I could be completely wrong, of course, but if I interpreted that way, maybe other men did too, and maybe some of them learned something from it. It's pretty much like this short-film that flips the script on homophobia; as a gay men, I don't feel like something was taken from me and my struggle was diminished in any way. On the contrary, I actually have recommended straight people to watch this, and I have seen straight people saying that this was a wake up call for them. So, you know, positive things CAN come from this sort of trope.
    Positive things may come out of it but not by intent. Again, most of these stories where not made in progressive times. Just look at how female heroes were treated. You may have interpreted it that way but I can assure you that other men did not. It's basically the "both sides are bad" argument being applied where it doesn't belong.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 10-05-2017 at 12:53 PM.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Awww... I was hoping for some juicy panels

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Thanks for the recommendation. That aside, I'm still gonna push how Felicia Hardy's heel turn was depicted and written as one of the more if not most sexist moments in Marvel Comics, along with Cindy Moon's initial depiction by the very writer that created her in the first place, which was actually concurrent with Felicia's (re)turn to villainy.
    Say what? It's probably one of the top 10 back-stab moments but sexist how?

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    Awww... I was hoping for some juicy panels
    There actually is a Sexiest Marvel Moments Thread, someone just has to dig it up.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Say what? It's probably one of the top 10 back-stab moments but sexist how?
    Because when she went full-blown villain, she was acting like a lunatic willing to discard whatever shreds of her former morality, dubious as it was, remained just to get even with Spider-Man for what someone else did to her in his body and costume, and she didn't even care that innocent people might end up dead in the crossfire. Hell, she did outright try to kill innocent people, just because they had the temerity to buy the stuff she'd stolen after the police recovered it and put it up for auction. It was a total debasement of her character, reducing her to an irrational, revenge-crazed psychopath with the only explanation being that she felt betrayed by Spider-Man, even though it wasn't actually him at the time.
    The spider is always on the hunt.