View Poll Results: What Grade Would You Give Amazing Spider-Man Right Now?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • A

8 17.39%
  • B

10 21.74%
  • C

9 19.57%
  • D

13 28.26%
  • F

6 13.04%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Default What Grade Would You Give Amazing Spider-Man Right Now?

I personally love Slott's writing, but I'm curious to see what others would grade it right now. Not all of Slott's Spider-Man body of work, but just this current series so far?
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

It fluctuates from C+ to B+. Mostly in B. And sometimes in A.

Lightbulb

Solid B: is good but could use improvement.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

I'd go with a B. It's decent, but the series has been better. There have also been much weaker periods in the book's history.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Spectacular Member AmazingFantasy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    It fluctuates from C+ to B+. Mostly in B. And sometimes in A.
    What I think as well.

Niffleheim

Post Secret Wars: I haven't liked a thing Slott wrote until the last arc with Normie and the Fall of PI which i love.
    It's a C for me.

Pre Secret Wars: It was an A for me.
    Last edited by Tofali; 08-13-2017 at 11:31 PM.

BANNED

C- for me. Interesting ideas, logic-leaping executions, poor resolutions, and missed opportunities everywhere.

Right now I would give it an A. This series has been helped greatly by the presence of Amazing Spider-man Renew your vows. The main thing that stopped me from completely enjoying ASM the last few years was the fact that I hated that he was no longer married to Mary Jane, but now that the renew your vows book gives me that, I can really enjoy ASM a lot more. The stories aren't perfect but it has been really interesting seeing Peter take on a new role and be more mature in this book and the potential relationship with Mockingbird does add something different to the book. Overall the book isn't perfect but with ASM, Renew your vows and Spectacular Spider-man all being around it is a pretty good time to be a Peter Parker fan.
    "You know, there are some words I've known since I was a schoolboy: "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.. The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged"- CAPT. Picard

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Probably a C. If I have a complaint about Parker Industries is that it honestly felt more like a means to an end to have Pete become a Globe trotter. The job itself lacked the "personality" that the Bugle or even his old Horizon Labs gig came with.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    Probably a C. If I have a complaint about Parker Industries is that it honestly felt more like a means to an end to have Pete become a Globe trotter. The job itself lacked the "personality" that the Bugle or even his old Horizon Labs gig came with.
    Yeah, with hindsight I think pretty much all of Volume 4 has just been a "means to an end".

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    C- for me. Interesting ideas, logic-leaping executions, poor resolutions, and missed opportunities everywhere.
    This, 100%.

iMan 42s

If we are talking this run strictly (I jumped off for a bit after Clone Conspiracy) as of right now, I'd give it a solid C but there is a good amount of B work here.

Parker industries probably should be replaced by something a bit stronger considering it doesn't really offer much in way of Peter not only being Spider-man, but exploring his personal life in the role. If we are going to take a page from Iron man's book then the company should be an extension of everything in the protagonists life. There is so much to do with the concept and only ended up serving some globe trotting ventures, and some modern reinventions of classic gadgets with a costume that had inconsistent abilities. I'd also say that the villains aren't as memorable but is a step up from Volume 3. The company while featured more here also has yet to offer anything more than an excuse for Peter to go about his business. We see a lab, maybe a board room, perhaps Peter calling something in, but it's just making what normally would've been his relatives and him doing a lab replaced with something else. Having just picked up an Iron man mini recently there is a great sequence of Tony finding out a problem, going to a junkyard to look for scrap to build a solution for the problem, encountering a villain or two along the way, building his item, and then trying to get it mass produced. It would go a long way in showing Peter's investment into a problem by using his company or even his knowledge to help his company and the public. Granted we do see his companies efforts, but we only see it after the fact. It just exists and we don't have much investment in what it is beyond the end result. It lacks an investment in what it is his company does. We cared about Horizon because it offered Peter the opportunity to create something like the stealth costume, and provided a product for Peter to sell which did something for both aspects of his life. We watched it happen with all the struggles that came with it. With the company, Peter just has everything ready to go and it lacks any investment beyond how cool it is.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

After clone conspiracy I would have given it an F but we're on an upswing to a solid D right now

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    same here
    also annoyed with people written out of character

I gave it a D
    I created a thread about Dick Grayson/Nightwing and Koriand'r/Starfire. It is to acknowledge and honor their iconic and popular relationship.

I created a fan page about Peter Parker/Spider-Man and Mary Jane Watson. This page is for all the Spider-Marriage fans.

Astonishing Member

A solid A.
    It is just a continuation of great stories by Dan Slott ever since Brand New Day.
    Dan Slott stories right from the start of Brand New Day were always quite good (The first BND story arc,New Ways To Die,Mysterio story arc in the Gauntlet,ASM:600,Spider Island,Superiro Spider-Man to say just a few exemples!)
    So the quality of Slott stories just vary between good and great.
    And now with Stuart Immonem in the art,the series just got better.
    Immonem is a great artist for Amazing Spider-Man,i knew his work from New Avengers a couple of years ago currently the art just got better.
    Even Tie ins to events as Secret Empire (usually when a comic book reaches a Tie in,the quality of the stories gets worst),the story kept being great,as was the last issue of Amazing Spider-Man.
    And then there is the quality of stories that vary from events (as Spider Verse) to more self contained stories that are a must read.