Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MetalWoman View Post
    #102 - Ben Reilly Scarlet Spider #5 -22,235
    I guess that's okay placement for a fifth issue .

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Looks like Gwen could definitely use the pick-me-up of a Venom storyline, which seems to have helped RYV a lot. It kind of feels like she went from the best-selling female-led Spider-title to the one that keeps needing crossovers or gimmicks to bump up sales.
    I'd like to think that part of the problem is they pushed her so hard to be everywhere that it defeated the purpose of her being an AU character. Web Warriors, Spider-Women crossover, Wolverine guest appearance, Miles Crossover, Clone Conspiracy.

Quote Originally Posted by MetalWoman View Post
    Is it bad that I forgot about Ben Reilly? :P
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonechidna View Post
    is it bad that i forgot about ben reilly?
    it is the greatest crime in human history!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    Well, I kind of keep trying to pretend this version of Ben Reilly doesn't exist .

Courtesy of Comichron:

#10 - Spider-Men II #1 - 67,362
    #14 - Amazing Spider-Man #30 - 56,560
    #17 - Spectacular Spider-Man #2 - 54,247
    #24 - Edge of Venomverse #2 - 50,128
    #33 - Edge of Venomverse #3 - 42,167
    #55 - Venom #152 - 34,687
    #60 - Spider-Man #18 - 33,374
    #64 - Spider-Man/Deadpool #19 - 32,090
    #82 - Spider-Man: Master Plan - 26,804
    #90 - Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows #9 - 25,387
    #104 - Spider-Gwen #22 - 21,372

I actually wouldn't be surprised if Spider-Gwen is back to being above RYV for Legacy due to her book getting renumbered plus the Venom storyline. Also worth noting for those critical of Amazing's sells, there's a severe drop off outside of the top 5 selling comics or so. Remove the events, relaunches, and stuff like Star Wars and the Walking Dead and only Batman continue to sells monster numbers. Every other "great" selling book is about on par with Amazing Spider-Man's level.
    #140 - Spider-Man 2099 #25 - 14,763

More eldritch than thou Venomous Mask's Avatar

Starting next month, Venom is going to go into some stories that really focus on building the character, so hopefully that will help. Also, there is a Carnage arc down the line, which should help things.
    "I should describe my known nature as tripartite, my interests consisting of three parallel and disassociated groups; a) love of the strange and the fantastic, b) love of abstract truth and scientific logic, c) love of the ancient and the permanent. Sundry combinations of these strains will probably account for my...odd tastes, and eccentricities."

Not really. Going by the numbers, it looks like a lot of other people have done the same.
    "The rules of regeneration are known!"

"Sorry, what did you say? Did you mention the rules? Now, listen. A bit of advice: tell me the truth if you think you know it,
    lay down the law if you're feeling brave, but never ever tell me the rules!!"

Yeah, just looking at the figures overall, I'd say these are quite dire times for the Direct Market in general. And as I say in the linked piece, I think the only reason Amazing Spider-Man isn't below 50,000 at this point is because it's an event tie-in and that Parker Industries is finally ending. Otherwise, kind of mediocre showing for Marvel's flagship book, even if it still in the Top 20.

Number Crunching: The top 20 comics sales estimates for July 2017
    --Mike McNulty, a.k.a. Stillanerd. Contributor for Bam Smack Pow! and Viral Hare
    Previous Articles for Whatever A Spider Can.
    Previous Articles for Spider-Man Crawlspace.

Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by stillanerd View Post
    Yeah, just looking at the figures overall, I'd say these are quite dire times for the Direct Market in general. And as I say in the linked piece, I think the only reason Amazing Spider-Man isn't below 50,000 at this point is because it's an event tie-in and that Parker Industries is finally ending. Otherwise, kind of mediocre showing for Marvel's flagship book, even if it still in the Top 20.

Number Crunching: The top 20 comics sales estimates for July 2017
    That seems to be quite a sudden drop, esp. since ASM was at top a few months ago.

Wonder if the new relaunch will pick up more steam?

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    That seems to be quite a sudden drop, esp. since ASM was at top a few months ago.

Wonder if the new relaunch will pick up more steam?
    In fairness, I reckon actual readership for ASM has been quite stable with maybe a slightly bigger than normal drop after the $10 issue. It's just that events, crossovers and variants increase sales numbers but not necessarily regular readers so without those temporary boosts, what we're actually seeing now are likely just normal numbers. Aside from being a tie-in, ASM #30 is also helped by a Jim Lee X-Men Trading Card variant.

I'm sure the renumbering coupled with the lenticular variants (125% of ASM #27 qualifier so that implies Marvel's reduced minimum sales target is ~65K) would provide a sizable boost. Reckon October (and succeeding Legacy roll out months) should be pretty good for Marvel.
    Currently Following:
    Action Comics, Deathstroke, Red Hood and the Outlaws, Super Sons, Superman, Superwoman, Teen Titans, Titans, Trinity, Wild Storm, Monstress, I Hate Fairyland, Black Monday Murders, Kill Or Be Killed, Redlands, Crosswind, Astonishing X-Men, Captain America, Daredevil, Defenders, Hawkeye, Tales of Suspense, American Gods, Animosity, Black Eyed Kids, Red Sonja

Looks like Miles' titled raised some, without tying into Secret Empire to boot. I hope Bendis uses that for future reference when the company inevitably goes back to doing "Cross Company Events" again.
    Jim Lee X-Men variant. That said, even without that, reckon Miles' sales is stable at around 30K which is way better than most of Marvel's new titles that haven't even reached double digits.
    Last edited by rui no onna; 08-17-2017 at 10:51 PM.
    Currently Following:
    Action Comics, Deathstroke, Red Hood and the Outlaws, Super Sons, Superman, Superwoman, Teen Titans, Titans, Trinity, Wild Storm, Monstress, I Hate Fairyland, Black Monday Murders, Kill Or Be Killed, Redlands, Crosswind, Astonishing X-Men, Captain America, Daredevil, Defenders, Hawkeye, Tales of Suspense, American Gods, Animosity, Black Eyed Kids, Red Sonja

Something I brought up elsewhere, that I guess I should bring up here, is that ASM's orders are about half of what Batman's orders are.

That this is the case is a failure on Marvel's part. There should be no reason why ASM's orders are half of what Batman's are.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Something I brought up elsewhere, that I guess I should bring up here, is that ASM's orders are about half of what Batman's orders are.

That this is the case is a failure on Marvel's part. There should be no reason why ASM's orders are half of what Batman's are.
    To be totally fair, Batman has had better exposure in the movies than SM, that helps. Now that the DC franchise is in Snyder's hands and that SM has been brought into the MCU fold, things could be more even.

A pretty big gap to close, in any case, that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by nose norton View Post
    To be totally fair, Batman has had better exposure in the movies than SM, that helps. Now that the DC franchise is in Snyder's hands and that SM has been brought into the MCU fold, things could be more even.

A pretty big gap to close, in any case, that's for sure.
    That is a reasonable thing to take into account. However, Batman's long term rise up the sales charts does not correlate closely with movie releases. Similarly, Spider-Man has appeared in more movies than Batman during the relevant time frame in the past 15 years and the movies did not appear to have any discernable long term impact on comic sales.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vaegrin View Post
    That is a reasonable thing to take into account. However, Batman's long term rise up the sales charts does not correlate closely with movie releases. Similarly, Spider-Man has appeared in more movies than Batman during the relevant time frame in the past 15 years and the movies did not appear to have any discernable long term impact on comic sales.
    I'm not exactly a fan of the Burton movies, but those generated quite a stir at the time (despite modest box office numbers), with more films to follow starring very heavy hitters. Then came the Nolan trilogy and now a BvS movie. In all that time, the SM movies have generated very stale numbers (good but constant), around $800 million. The fact that the last 2 Nolan movies in particular, generated so much revenue in comparison, indicates that it touched a market outside the fanbase. Whether that translates into better comics sales or not, is just speculation on my part.