Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

As a Potter afficionado, it would be difficult to say on which characters would end up where because of works beyond the books and movies adding a bit more complexity.

As stated, Hermione was in Gryffindor despite her smarts, mainly because of the Hat giving her the choice between the two. The same thing happened to McGonagall when she first entered the school. We also see in the actual books at two clearly jackass Gryffindors that definitely go against what the house stands for.

A Marvel character can embody so many things that it'd be difficult to determine where they might end up. Who's to say that Spider-Man could end up in Gryffindor because of his bravery or responsibility to do the right thing? Or could he end up in Ravenclaw because of his smarts? Spider-Man can be loyal too, so does that mean he's a Hufflepuff? Or what about when his darker tendencies and ambition get the better of him? Is he Slytherin?

My Pottermore account ended up with Ravenclaw, which, after reading about what that house espouses beyond wit and intelligence, I certainly value and agree with.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post

The tricky ones are Hufflepuff and Gryffindor. Characters I can see in either would be

1. Rogue
    2. Dr. Voodoo
    3. Human Torch
    4. Inverted Creed
    5. Wolverine (possibly)
    Speaking about Rogue, I think she embodies Gryffindor's core traits to a t. She's very courageous (the only thing that scares her is her inability to control her powers and how it can affect her closest ones), always up for an adventure, doesn't mind bending the rules, has a moral integrity and is as spunky and loyal as it gets. What's more, she even displays the negative side of Gryffs, like being often too reckless for her own good and blinded with loyalty towards those who do not always deserve it to a degree.

Hufflepuffs are more community-oriented, hardworking and down-to-earth with a touch of earthy kindness. Characters like Cannonball or Colossus come to my mind. The biggest problem with typing I have is Storm. I could honestly see her in any House, maybe except for Ravenclaw.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    Hermione asked to be sorted in Gryffindor. The hat wanted her to be in Ravenclaw.

But your point still stands. And sometimes it's quite difficult to sort. I think the hat would have a real trouble with Dr. Doom. Slytherin or Ravenclaw? There's some Gryffindor in there too.

EDIT: Ok, read that passage again. Hermione didn't ask to be put in Gryffindor. But the hat did seriously considered to put her in Ravenclaw but decided Gryffindor in the end.
    Hermione is by far the brightest student in Hogwarts during Harry's years, but there's a distinct difference in how she uses her intelligence and utilizes her curiosity and how those means are viewed according to Ravenclaw's manifesto and lore. Remember when Harry got Snape's old textbook with his handwritten notes on new potions recipes and spells? Hermione was vehemently against testing them because 'they weren't in the books!'. She's very by-the-book, rules-oriented, logic-driven person who prizes pragmatic approach in the information she memorizes with an efficiency of a computer. Now, Ravenclaws prize themselves on exploring knowledge for the sake of it, thinking outside-the-box and relying heavily on both their heightened creativity and curiosity, and above all the are the most open-minded House. No pure Ravenclaw would ditch The Divination class because ' it isn't practical' or because Trelawney was behaving in a bizzare fashion. Take Luna for example. She's eccentric, sure, but she's smart too, just in a different way than Hermione, and which is much closer to emboding Ravenclaw's traits.

Quote Originally Posted by Xalfrea View Post
    A Marvel character can embody so many things that it'd be difficult to determine where they might end up. Who's to say that Spider-Man could end up in Gryffindor because of his bravery or responsibility to do the right thing? Or could he end up in Ravenclaw because of his smarts? Spider-Man can be loyal too, so does that mean he's a Hufflepuff? Or what about when his darker tendencies and ambition get the better of him? Is he Slytherin?
    Let's be honest, it's not like JKRowling's system behind Sorting is brilliant to begin with -- it's deeply flawed and don't even make me start on the continuing existence of Token Evil Slytherin House. However, approaching the sorting with thinking 'Brave = Gryffindor, Smart = Ravenclaw, Bad/Cunning = Slytherin, Everyone Else/Boring = Hufflepuff' reeks of a very simplistic and lazy approach based on a very shallow understanding of the canon. And not even logical to begin with, like, don't you have to be intelligent to be cunning, or rather successful at it?

How I view it, is to look at the bigger picture and take the values each of those Houses promote in their students into consideration. Their agenda, to put it simply.

As for the complex characters, take Wanda for instance. Bendis' treatment and mental illness aside, she, at least to me, is rather people-oriented, very considerate, nurturing, honor-bound too (she stayed with Magneto despite not agreeing with his views only because she felt indebted to him for saving her and Pietro) and wants to be seen as helpful without an overbearing ambition and desire to control by any means. That's a Puff to me. Heck, I could even make a case of her breakdown and the reason behind it (losing her children) being more in line with Hufflepuff's traits than with other houses: she didn't become power-hungry (Slytherin), a well-intentioned extremist (Gryffindor), or even detached from Humanity on her quest to explore the full possibilities of her power (Ravenclaw).

Much as I love the Potter franchise, yeah let's not kid ourselves, the Hogwarts houses, sorting, and the basic character traits are just a massive mess. Glad to see somebody else digging deeper into certain aspects. It's very silly to say that the hero will end up in Gryffindor just because that house was the one of the protagonists, or the well-documented Slytherin=Evil house example. Harry's story is pro-Gryffindor & anti-Slytherin propaganda.

Now here's another Potter thing to think about. Marvel characters in Ilvermorny houses?

Horned Serpent
    Sometimes considered to represent the mind of a witch or wizard. It is also said that Horned Serpent favours scholars.

Wampus
    Sometimes considered to represent the body of a witch or wizard. It is also said that Wampus favours warriors.

Thunderbird
    Sometimes considered to represent the soul of a witch or wizard. It is also said that Thunderbird favours adventurers.

Pukwudgie
    Sometimes considered to represent the heart of a witch or wizard. It is also said that Pukwudgie favours healers.

BANNED

I knew it this thread was here somewhere. Slight necro, but I recently came across these on Tumblr, and figured I'd share:

^^ Awesome! I'm currently re-reading (and re-watching) and the books (and movies). I start the day after Christmas and see how long it takes me. Just started 5 today. 4 in 4 weeks.

Those are some well-drawn pictures, but it's again rather silly to suggest that the Marvel villains will end up in the "villain by way of plot convenience" house.

Those are some well-drawn pictures, but it's again rather silly to suggest that the Marvel villains will end up in the "villain by way of plot convenience" house.
    Yeah like Doom. I think he is Ravenclaw if anything, as his motivation has been around knowledge to the point where his biggest rivalry is all about it. Even the cool art above has his nose in a book.

I wonder what heroes people think should be in Slytherin and what villains in Gryffindor?

Right now I'm thinking Quicksilver would be Slytherin and Thanos would be Gryffindor.
    Last edited by Crimz; 01-24-2018 at 04:40 PM.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    ^^ Awesome! I'm currently re-reading (and re-watching) and the books (and movies). I start the day after Christmas and see how long it takes me. Just started 5 today. 4 in 4 weeks.
    I never read the books myself. The Philosopher's Stone was one of the firstmoviews I ever saw,but I never connected with the property too much. Then time flew by, and now the obligations are too many to make time for such stuff.

Eh, depends on your view of them. Doom's been an anti-hero since the 90s, Loki as Agent of Asgard is Morally Grey, Hela is a Goddess and Amora hasn't really done anything terrible in a while. It's mostly colour coded if anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    Yeah like Doom. I think he is Ravenclaw if anything, as his motivation has been around knowledge to the point where his biggest rivalry is all about it. Even the cool art above has his nose in a book.
    Nah, Doom's undeniably a Slytherin. Knowledge is nothing but a tool for him. He's not a lover of discovering new things for the sake of it, like Reed or Pym, he invents and revolutionizes fields simply to get closer to his goal, a world under Doom. Hermione's main trait is her brains, but still, she's a Gryffindor. Also, he's got a warrior's spirit in him, which would make him a candidate for Gryffindor as well. But in the end, it's his boundless ambittion that really defines him. Plus, Green's his colour...

I wonder what heroes people think should be in Slytherin and what villains in Gryffindor?

Right now I'm thinking Quicksilver would be Slytherin and Thanos would be Gryffindor.
    Emma should make for a great Slytherin. Fantomex too. Natasha is an ideal candidate. Moonstone as well. As for villainous Gryffindors, maybe Red Skull? Kingpin and Magneto (depends on what you classify him as) as well. Exodus, even. Probably Apocalypse.

JK Rowling already addressed it. You can evil griffindors therrs a thin line between bravery and stupidity and arrogance. And Merlin was a Slytherin

Wormtail was a griffindor

Last edited by ExodusCloak; 01-24-2018 at 05:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Techno_Knight View Post

Nah, Doom's undeniably a Slytherin. Knowledge is nothing but a tool for him. He's not a lover of discovering new things for the sake of it, like Reed or Pym, he invents and revolutionizes fields simply to get closer to his goal, a world under Doom. Hermione's main trait is her brains, but still, she's a Gryffindor. Also, he's got a warrior's spirit in him, which would make him a candidate for Gryffindor as well. But in the end, it's his boundless ambittion that really defines him. Plus, Green's his colour...

Emma should make for a great Slytherin. Fantomex too. Natasha is an ideal candidate. Moonstone as well. As for villainous Gryffindors, maybe Red Skull? Kingpin and Magneto (depends on what you classify him as) as well. Exodus, even. Probably Apocalypse.
    It seems Doom is more Gryffindor than anything else, they are the arrogant glory-chasers and he'd fit right in there. although green is his colour
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

BANNED

It seems Doom is more Gryffindor than anything else, they are the arrogant glory-chasers and he'd fit right in there. although green is his colour
    Depends on the version. Gryffindors are mostly about bravery and standing up for worthy causes. Doom's not above instigating coups, manipulating and toying with people. His main trait is ambition. Boundless, unrelenting ambition.

Quote Originally Posted by ExodusCloak View Post
    JK Rowling already addressed it. You can evil griffindors therrs a thin line between bravery and stupidity and arrogance. And Merlin was a Slytherin

Wormtail was a griffindor

Where's that from? Pottermore?
    Gryffindors aren't glory-chasers. What gave you that impression?
    Last edited by SpiderClops; 01-24-2018 at 11:51 PM.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Tony Stark is definitely a Slytherin guys.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Yeah that's from Pottermore, which is a great expansion of the material established in the books.

As for Doom, upon thinking it, yeah, he probably would end up in Slytherin. If not for his villainy, at least for his supreme, limitless ambition. He'd fit right at home there.