Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Default Most disliked characters and why?

In the world of comics, there are a lot of favorites. However, there are just some characters who aren't all that popular for some reason. Who do you think are some of the most disliked characters and why is that?

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Many comic readers, really hated Damian Wayne for a long amount of time, but I think the resentment for the character has rapidly died down.
    Last edited by Timothy Hunter; 08-13-2017 at 12:20 PM.

I hated Damian Wayne in his initial appearances but he grew on me a great deal around the time of Batman and Robin.

I love to hate Guy Gardner. I really hate him but I love reading him haha

I've noticed a lot of Batman fans don't like Duke Thomas. I'm not really familiar with him myself but the reasons I hear are that he's a boring character.

Also over at Marvel I've heard a lot of people hate The Sentry but once again I'm not familiar with the character.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

This isn't universal for all Marvel fans, but I know that many Marvel comic readers hate the legacy characters that Marvel have been heavily promoting. Many Captain America fans are salty about Sam Wilson being the captain, this is also true for Lady Thor, Carol Dancers Captain Marvel, and many others.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    This isn't universal for all Marvel fans, but I know that many Marvel comic readers hate the legacy characters that Marvel have been heavily promoting. Many Captain America fans are salty about Sam Wilson being the captain, this is also true for Lady Thor, Carol Dancers Captain Marvel, and many others.
    Hasn't there been a different Thor in the past? I'm not as knowledgeable about Marvel...

Spectacularly Neurotic Sharkerbob's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Darkseid Is View Post
    I've noticed a lot of Batman fans don't like Duke Thomas. I'm not really familiar with him myself but the reasons I hear are that he's a boring character.

Also over at Marvel I've heard a lot of people hate The Sentry but once again I'm not familiar with the character.
    Sentry had one okay mini-series and one good mini-series, but no one's known what to do with him since, so he's just been this obnoxious train wreck that gets in the way of whatever story he's in.

Hasn't there been a different Thor in the past? I'm not as knowledgeable about Marvel...
    Female Thor's just been weirdly promoted. Others have taken the power of Thor, and at least one assumed his identity in secret, but fem Thor was heavily pushed as a "superior replacement", with the whole feminism backlash angle blown out of proportion to help promote it.

Invincible Member

Yes. Capt America has been replaced several times as well. Iron Man has been replaced before also.

Invincible Member

I think with Sentry many fans thought they were going to get a Marvel twist on a the Superman archetype but instead ( outside of the mini series) got a not well done story about an emotionally damaged bore.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Yes. Capt America has been replaced several times as well. Iron Man has been replaced before also.
    At this point who hasn't? At least I thought Thor would be free from that, being a God and all. It's one thing to put on Green Arrow's tights and shoot arrows, it's another thing to be the God of Thunder!

The character I dislike the most is Jason Todd. I know a lot of people like him and that's fine but I always thought it was weird ever since they brought him back. Winnick had some good stories there but it got to the point where Jason was the "cool" guy. It's fine if you like him but if you don't it's annoying.

BANNED

Beast has to be mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by RLAAMJR. View Post
    Beast has to be mentioned.
    People don't like Beast?

Astonishing Member

Aside from the examples mentioned so far, I'll echo that Legacy Heroes in general always tend to get some backlash. That backlash never really leaves them, either, even after said characters find their fanbase. More uncommon, a reverse hatred can develop for fans of Legacy Heroes with regards to their predecessors, especially if they end up getting written out of or outright bridged (or worse, fridged) from their comics in order to bring back their predecessors, which DC has done more than few times, and also Marvel, too. (Heck, I think they did it in Spawn as well.)

That's the reason cited, but it always comes off as dishonest and overall arbitrary and vague from the people who've been giving it, as if they never actually read Duke in the first place; that they tend to misinterpret the character on top of things doesn't help their words hold any water. I've found his hate has more to do with person biases and paranoid beliefs than anything else.

People don't like Beast?
    I don't. I used to like him at one point but he's been written to be so unlikable in the past few years. I hate Wolverine the most though. He's definitely my most disliked character. Just so much over exposure and I think he's extremely overrated.