View Poll Results: What Grade Would You Give Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows Right Now?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • A

25 43.86%
  • B

22 38.60%
  • C

3 5.26%
  • D

3 5.26%
  • F

4 7.02%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I'm going to say a B, give or take a plus. I really like the series and how its using the idea of a Parker family to drive the story. On the other hand, I'm not sure it quite as the same drive. It somehow feels like it knows that it's an AU series, unlike, say, USM, which read like it was the real Spider-Man title, if that makes any sense. I'm also not sure if the compressed writing style does that much for me.

However, given that I like the basic premise and it has good art and decent writing, any complaints are just nitpicking.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    I'm going to say a B, give or take a plus. I really like the series and how its using the idea of a Parker family to drive the story. On the other hand, I'm not sure it quite as the same drive. It somehow feels like it knows that it's an AU series, unlike, say, USM, which read like it was the real Spider-Man title, if that makes any sense. I'm also not sure if the compressed writing style does that much for me.

However, given that I like the basic premise and it has good art and decent writing, any complaints are just nitpicking.
    I get what you mean by that.

BANNED

Like Bor, I'll give it a B-

It gives us the Peter and MJ denied to us for a decade, Annie is a fresh addition and has potential to go further, and it's doing more interesting things with corrupt Liz and Normie than can be otherwise found in the main books, but the issues do tend to focus less on Peter and more of a spotlight is placed on MJ, and the story arcs could really benefit from being three issues long as opposed to very rushed two parters.

I'll give it a B. It's a solid superhero book.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Like Bor, I'll give it a B-

It gives us the Peter and MJ denied to us for a decade, Annie is a fresh addition and has potential to go further, and it's doing more interesting things with corrupt Liz and Normie than can be otherwise found in the main books, but the issues do tend to focus less on Peter and more of a spotlight is placed on MJ, and the story arcs could really benefit from being three issues long as opposed to very rushed two parters.
    Its rare this happens but we seem to be pretty much in synch here. I hadnt thought about the three vs two issues thing but you are completely right.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Bor View Post
    Its rare this happens but we seem to be pretty much in synch here. I hadnt thought about the three vs two issues thing but you are completely right.
    Even the inaugural ''Brawl In The Family'' should have only been three parts and the epilogue with Sandman should'nt have been included as the last part, but rather it's own thing. That reminded me of the Clone Saga's ''The Mark of Kaine'' arc. It had a fifth part which was more or less a complete stand alone story compared to the four parts

Slott's RYV shows longer arcs can still work, but you have to have the right compelling material to justify it. A repetitious loop of the same events from three different perspectives doesn't cut it, and I really think it initially hurt the book out of the gate slightly.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 08-14-2017 at 04:45 AM.

Even the inaugural ''Brawl In The Family'' should have only been three parts and the epilogue with Sandman should'nt have been included as the last part, but rather it's own thing. That reminded me of the Clone Saga's ''The Mark of Kaine'' arc. It had a fifth part which was more or less a complete stand alone story compared to the four parts
    I think the Sandman story was marketed as its own thing, but the recap page was what connected it to the Brawl story. I personally never read it as a fifth piece, just the second story that happened to take place right after the first.

Slott's RYV shows longer arcs can still work, but you have to have the right compelling material to justify it. A repetitious loop of the same events from three different perspectives doesn't cut it, and I really think it initially hurt the book out of the gate slightly.
    I got a little tired of the three perspectives of the same event as the single issues were coming out, but when I got the trade paperback, I think reading it all in one sitting made it work better.

I'd give it a B+ at the moment. It started off great with the Dan Slott mini-series, was a little bit shaky for the 5-part Mole Man story (did not need to be that long), but has really hit its stride with the X-Men and Venom stories (both too short). Art and storytelling have been very good overall. I would like a little less emphasis on MJ (but keep the black costume), more on Peter's work life, Annie's clairvoyant power, and more development of the world of this alternate universe (i.e. New York city and supporting cast besides Normie and Liz).

More eldritch than thou Venomous Mask's Avatar

Still waiting for the Annie Parker/May Parker crossover.
    "I should describe my known nature as tripartite, my interests consisting of three parallel and disassociated groups; a) love of the strange and the fantastic, b) love of abstract truth and scientific logic, c) love of the ancient and the permanent. Sundry combinations of these strains will probably account for my...odd tastes, and eccentricities."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Venomous Mask View Post
    Still waiting for the Annie Parker/May Parker crossover.
    Much as I'd rather have the Mayday unaffected by Spider-Verse meeting Annie, it makes more sense for the one that was to meet up with her and take comfort in the fact she has been able to grow with her father alive and at peak health, unhindered by a handicap

Mighty Member

I am wondering about the bad grades that have been given, but no posts about them.
    I am curious about why some people are giving D's and F's for the comic series.
    I created a thread about Dick Grayson/Nightwing and Koriand'r/Starfire. It is to acknowledge and honor their iconic and popular relationship.

I created a fan page about Peter Parker/Spider-Man and Mary Jane Watson. This page is for all the Spider-Marriage fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Starrius View Post
    I am wondering about the bad grades that have been given, but no posts about them.
    I am curious about why some people are giving D's and F's for the comic series.
    I wouldn't worry about it. Different strokes. Some people may rate it badly just because they don't have any interest in it, or because they prefer a single Spider-Man and don't think it needs to exist.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vaegrin View Post
    I wouldn't worry about it. Different strokes. Some people may rate it badly just because they don't have any interest in it, or because they prefer a single Spider-Man and don't think it needs to exist.
    If that's the case, why grade it?
    There is one person that doesn't like the Spider-Marriage, and he gave it a B which surprised me.
    I created a thread about Dick Grayson/Nightwing and Koriand'r/Starfire. It is to acknowledge and honor their iconic and popular relationship.

I created a fan page about Peter Parker/Spider-Man and Mary Jane Watson. This page is for all the Spider-Marriage fans.

B.

Great book but not outstanding. Only Spider-Man book I am reading right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Starrius View Post
    If that's the case, why grade it?
    There is one person that doesn't like the Spider-Marriage, and he gave it a B which surprised me.
    Nice to know that people can be objective! It's possible to think that the franchise is better off with Peter single, yet still enjoy stories in which he is married.

Right, Mister Mets?