View Poll Results: Who's The Better Magneto Actor?

Voters
92. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ian McKellen

45 48.91%
  • Michael Fassbender

47 51.09%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Default Who's The Better Magneto Actor?

Ian McKellen

OR

Michael Fassbender

“Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

I like them both as actors and they both did a great job, but I'm voting for Fassbender. I just think he nailed the character of Magneto the best.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

I preferred Fassbenders Kerry accent

Have to go with Fassbender.

Sarcastic grandpa Mags forever.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

I voted for Fassbender as I really enjoy him as Magneto. I think McKellen is also a wonderful actor and quite liked his portrayal as well, but he plays Magneto with a bit of "femininity" which I don't think suits the character.

Militantly Indifferent Kisinith's Avatar

Fassbender, both are great actors but McKellen's Magneto was too much of a mustache twirling villain and lacked the nuance. He's much more sympathetic, both as a protagonist and antagonist than McKellen's. Even as a villain Magneto's best moment was when he gave his speech in front of the cameras in DoFP, way better than anything that McKellen was given.

Quote Originally Posted by The Whovian View Post
    Ian McKellen

OR

Michael Fassbender

McKellin, only just they are both good.... McKellin just had a certain gravitas, a man comfortable with his power unbending.... for some unknown bias i cant unhear Fasbenders irish accent creaping through which breaks the moment.... yet i dont whinge about McKellins accent .. Must be that viice.

Niffleheim

McKellen makes me pay attention to everything that he does and says while Fassbender is just bluh to me - I love him in a lot of things but his MagBender is like DC's Batfleck.
    Last edited by Tofali; 08-13-2017 at 11:33 PM.

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

I like both actors because they are excellent in their acting. I particulary like Mckellen on The lord of the Rings as Gandalf . But as a Magneto fan I prefer Fassbender´s Magneto because he´s more similar to comics Magneto of course it helped that First Class wasn´t directed by Brian Singer but by Matthew Vaughn.
    "To the X-men then, who don´t die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

Fassbender by far IMO. His speech in DOFP and his own vendetta in the first act of First Class are the best Magneto moments we've ever had.

Well, damm. I think both actors are terrific, but I'm giving Fassbender an edge here.

BANNED

Ian. His Magneto is such a diva. I love it.

BANNED

Fassbender's Magneto was ultimately written more like comic Magneto in temperament, and even in power. McKellan's Magneto was mostly reduced to moving metal. You saw better examples of Magneto's true power in DOFP and in X-Men: Apocalypse. Example Magneto can control things by manipulating metal and was able to put metal in the sentinels in order to control them. In X-Men: Apocalypse, Apocalypse unleashed his true power and he could manipulate force fields and electromagnetic energies and truly fly (though he did a bit of this in DOFP).

Even in X-Men 1 in 2000 McKellan to me was a bit too old and infirm looking to play Magneto. Noting wrong with getting someone in their 50s or 60s to play the part, but he just looked OLD. Stewart in X-Men 1 was OLDER, but did not look old and infirm. Even in X-Men 3 and even in DOFP Stewart did not look ancient (by the time of Old Man Logan he did).
    Last edited by WallStreeter; 08-13-2017 at 11:31 PM.

BANNED

The other problem is when the X-Men were introduced in the 60s, Magneto and Xavier weren't meant to be crazy older than the X-Men. The X-Men were teens. Xavier and Magneto were 30s or 40s. Old enough to be the X-Men's parents, but they were not GRANDPARENTS to the X-Men. Magneto was a Holocaust survivor, and in 1963 the Holocaust was just 18 years ago.

Now of course the X-Men have aged slowly in all this time, but that means Magneto and Xavier should have aged slowly as well.