Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Default July Marvel Sales

Here are sales figures for July:
    http://www.cbr.com/july-2017-sales-chart/

Astonishing X-Men was the company's best seller.
    Secret Empire continues to disappoint, with each issue declining from the last.

Cool to see Astonishing X-Men debut as high as it did.

Uncanny Avengers got a big bump in sales. It's impressive how well it's selling still at 25th issue.

I can not get over how badly Guardians of the Galaxy are doing. Holy freaking ****. 2 movies (1 very recent), tons of merch, tons of gaming appearances, an animated show. They are EVERYWHERE. And they still get this number. Honestly put them out of their misery

Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan View Post
    Secret Empire continues to disappoint, with each issue declining from the last.
    Wouldn't exactly say the fifth and sixth best selling issues of the month count as a disappointment.

Selling less issues as the series continues is normal. Why would the next issue of a contained story arc sell more?
    Currently Reading: DC: Shazam /// MARVEL: Daredevil, Invaders, Winter Soldier /// IMAGE: Seven to Eternity /// TITAN: Bloodborne

Upcoming Reading:

Trade Waiting: IMAGE: East of West, Black Road, The Black Monday Murders /// DARK HORSE: Hellboy, Witcher

Thanos went up 9.72% as it outsold Guardians and a lot of other hero titles.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    Uncanny Avengers got a big bump in sales. It's impressive how well it's selling still at 25th issue.

I can not get over how badly Guardians of the Galaxy are doing. Holy freaking ****. 2 movies (1 very recent), tons of merch, tons of gaming appearances, an animated show. They are EVERYWHERE. And they still get this number. Honestly put them out of their misery
    Why? The current volume is fantastic.

It's up to Marvel to decide if it's sales are to their satisfaction. It's not up to fans to make the call as to what a book "should" sell.

Quote Originally Posted by Of Atlantis View Post
    Wouldn't exactly say the fifth and sixth best selling issues of the month count as a disappointment.

Selling less issues as the series continues is normal. Why would the next issue of a contained story arc sell more?
    Yes, as a constant presence in the Top Ten, SE has been a very solid performer. Whatever attrition it's had has been well within normal range.

Nice to see Iron Fist creep its way back into the Top 100. It's one of the best books out there.

And even though I don't keep up with it, it's cool that Renew Your Vows looks to be holding its own as well.

Also, there was a Marvel Monthly Sales thread so that we didn't have to start a new one every month. Probably be good to find that again.

Extraordinary Member

I know these numbers don't necessarily tell the whole story, but I wonder if Defenders was expected to be higher than it is for its second issue.

I used to say Bendis was one of the few Marvel writers left with a major sales following, but it seems like comic shops aren't all that enthused about books that bear his name now.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Why? The current volume is fantastic.

It's up to Marvel to decide if it's sales are to their satisfaction. It's not up to fans to make the call as to what a book "should" sell.

I just did

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post

Everything I love about the movies simply can't be replicated in the printed page. The actors really make the characters, and Marvel's current crop of writers simply can't capture that magic. They'd be better off writing and drawing the title similar to how it was pre-MCU (Annihilation and so forth).
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
    Everything I love about the movies simply can't be replicated in the printed page. The actors really make the characters, and Marvel's current crop of writers simply can't capture that magic. They'd be better off writing and drawing the title similar to how it was pre-MCU (Annihilation and so forth).
    This is the same problem Marvel had a couple of years ago when it tried to make Tony Stark its flagship character in comics the way he is in the movies. Tony Stark is the MCU flagship character because the whole franchise started with him, and because Robert Downey Jr. was perfect casting. Neither of those things can be replicated in comics.

Taking some cues from the movies and TV isn't always a bad thing, but I don't think it actually helps sales very much.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Also, there was a Marvel Monthly Sales thread so that we didn't have to start a new one every month. Probably be good to find that again.
    Yeah. Just bumped it with a Comichron link.

Books that are selling below 20,000. How long will they last. Here they are:

Gwenpool
    Hulk
    Black Bolt
    Royals
    Sam Wilson
    Ultimates2 (this one ends this month)
    Iceman
    Mighty Captain Marvel (down 24.91% in one month!)
    I Am Groot
    US Avengers
    Spider-Man 2099
    Doctor Strange and the Sorcerers Supreme (this one is ending)
    Secret Warriors
    Luke Cage
    Rocket
    Hawkeye
    America
    Nick Fury
    Zombies Assemble
    Squirrel Girl
    Occupy Avengers (last issue)
    Monsters Unleashed
    Unstoppable Wasp (stops this month as it is Marvel's lowest seller)

I Am Groot
    Spider-Man 2099
    Rocket
    Nick Fury
    Those ones are also known for not being part of Legacy.

Astonishing Member

Gwenpool
    Hulk
    Black Bolt
    Royals
    Sam Wilson
    Iceman
    I Am Groot
    US Avengers
    Spider-Man 2099
    Secret Warriors
    Luke Cage
    Rocket
    Hawkeye
    America
    Nick Fury
    Zombies Assemble
    Squirrel Girl
    Monsters Unleashed
    Didn't marvel thinks all these would be better ideas then the Fantastic Four. Also sad to see ice man so low

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Gwenpool
    Hulk
    Black Bolt
    Royals
    Sam Wilson
    Iceman
    I Am Groot
    US Avengers
    Spider-Man 2099
    Secret Warriors
    Luke Cage
    Rocket
    Hawkeye
    America
    Nick Fury
    Zombies Assemble
    Squirrel Girl
    Monsters Unleashed
    Squirrel Girl is in the same camp as Moon Girl where since it performs well outside of the Direct Market, it's going to keep going regardless of the monthly numbers. Spider-Man 2099 and Sam Wilson were also a final issues. And Captain Marvel is getting another Relaunch.

Quote Originally Posted by Dthirds3 View Post
    Didn't marvel thinks all these would be better ideas then the Fantastic Four. Also sad to see ice man so low
    I mean, it's not a zero-sum game. ____ amount of titles flopping and getting cancelled won't convince Marvel to bring Fantastic Four back into circulation.
    Last edited by CrimsonEchidna; 08-14-2017 at 10:44 AM.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.