Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by The BaRoN View Post
    Good riddance to so many of these books
    Well that's kinda mean to people enjoying those books.

They tried to kill the X-Men and now they're the only ones making money
    Yeah they tried to kill the X-Men by publishing a over a dozen X-Men books. Also since we're talking about sales myths let's not start a new one that only X-Men sell because they were the top seller this month and not say Amazing Spider-Man or that whatever Marvel titles come next aren't selling.

And I love this myth that moon girl and squirrel girl selling well in trades with zero proof.
    Squirrel Girl made the New York Times best seller list. It floored a lot of people who were convinced it was a sales dud and angry that it was being published I think that successfully shut them up about Squirrel Girl. Correct me if I'm wrong but people at Marvel have confirmed Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur sells well in trade specifically via Scholastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Dthirds3 View Post
    Didn't marvel thinks all these would be better ideas then the Fantastic Four. Also sad to see ice man so low
    Well...yeah. We'll never know but I think it's more than likely FF would be in or near cancellation numbers if published today. Of course no one currently sneering at the sales of titles of characters they don't like would even acknowledge the FF's low sales. At most we'd get the suggestion they should get a pass because of their history (same with a Bruce Banner Hulk book) which they are more than entitled to do but it rings hollow when they complain about Marvel having different standards for certain books when they do the same thing for franchises they like...or just feel better having around instead of ones they don't.

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    This is the same problem Marvel had a couple of years ago when it tried to make Tony Stark its flagship character in comics the way he is in the movies. Tony Stark is the MCU flagship character because the whole franchise started with him, and because Robert Downey Jr. was perfect casting. Neither of those things can be replicated in comics.

Taking some cues from the movies and TV isn't always a bad thing, but I don't think it actually helps sales very much.
    These are good points and it while I don't begrudge Marvel publishing having a punt on something that has worked for them in movies and tv we should always keep in mind success in another medium rarely translates to comics.

That being said I wonder just how serious Marvel was at the time about making Iron Man their flagship character. It was like when they promoted Remender's Uncanny Avengers as Marvel's flagship title when clearly it was of less importance than a number of titles including both Hickman Avengers books, similarly when Marvel promotes Miles as the main Spider-Man when frankly Peter stars in many more books. In hindsight I don't think their promotion of Iron Man as their new flagship character was anything more than the usual sell for a character in this case: "hey if you like the Iron Man movie check out the comics" as opposed to it bring indicative of a boosted status in Marvel's publishing line.
    Last edited by Orbus; 08-14-2017 at 04:31 PM.

Ultimate Member

Marvel screwed the pooch with Guardians.

Marvel launched it huge with Bendis and with the movie hype the first issue sold over 200,000.

It was one of their top selling books months after Marvel NOW and it simply lost steam after subsequent relaunches. It's one of the books that's suffered from too many relaunches.

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Marvel screwed the pooch with Guardians.

Marvel launched it huge with Bendis and with the movie hype the first issue sold over 200,000.

It was one of their top selling books months after Marvel NOW and it simply lost steam after subsequent relaunches. It's one of the books that's suffered from too many relaunches.
    It also didn't help that book kind of wandered around and really didn't do a whole. It felt rather aimless and the entire last arc was on Earth, which is not particularly interesting in a space book.

Quote Originally Posted by Knives View Post
    I hope the battle with Juggernaut will help improve sales . Nothing against the Purifiers and the writer to focus on Bobby's family but we need a worthy opponent for Bobby to show what he's capable of.
    A bit cynical but, honestly it's not very surprising that it's not doing too hot. Elephant in the room aside, Iceman just isn't A-list enough to hold down his own solo. Just like most of the other X-Men, he doesn't have enough baggage outside of the X-Men to be able to separate him from the team. People just aren't really interested in the character.

Put Captain Marvel out of its misery already.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Orbus View Post
    That being said I wonder just how serious Marvel was at the time about making Marvel their flagship character. It was like when they promoted Remender's Uncanny Avengers as Marvel's flagship title when clearly it was of less importance than a number of titles including both Hickman Avengers books, similarly when Marvel promotes Miles as the main Spider-Man when frankly Peter stars in many more books. In hindsight I don't think their promotion of Iron Man as their new flagship character was the usual sell for a character in this case "hey if you like the Iron Man movie check out the comics" as opposed to it bring indicative of a boosted status in Marvel's publishing line.
    That's a fair point, but putting their top writer on Iron Man, giving him two books and making him the focus of the big event (along with Captain Marvel, the other character they were pushing hard) all made it seem like they were trying to make him bigger than he had been in the comics in recent years. Maybe talking about him as the flagship character was just hype, but it seems like they thought he could at least be bigger than he'd been under Gillen. If they did think that, it clearly didn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by Magneto View Post
    Marvel has to keep the book/character around there till the movie is out.

BANNED

On Captain Marvel: Yeah gotta keep it around and copy MCU's version. Marvel can't make her compelling and just is going to ape there version.

SE: Yeah totally doing great, selling under 100k for an event. LOL, man it is making CWII and AXIS look like massive hits.

And a lot of good books are up for cancellation. Yeah Marvel totally does not need a change of top brass.

And yeah America is bad, needs to get a different writer. Book so bad.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by The BaRoN View Post
    And I love this myth that moon girl and squirrel girl selling well in trades with zero proof.
    If we use amazon.com for trade sales-book like hers are in the top 100 of superhero trades.

The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl Vol. 1: Squirrel Power

#32 in Books > Comics & Graphic Novels > Publishers > Marvel
    #54 in Books > Comics & Graphic Novels > Graphic Novels > Superheroes
    #3561 in Books > Children's Books

The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl Vol. 5: Like I'm the Only Squirrel in the World

#52 in Books > Teens > Literature & Fiction > Comics & Graphic Novels > Superheroes
    #97 in Books > Comics & Graphic Novels > Publishers > Marvel
    #204 in Books > Comics & Graphic Novels > Graphic Novels > Superheroes

Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur Vol. 1: BFF

#33 in Books > Teens > Literature & Fiction > Comics & Graphic Novels > Superheroes
    #47 in Books > Comics & Graphic Novels > Publishers > Marvel
    #90 in Books > Comics & Graphic Novels > Graphic Novels > Superheroes

Moon Girl Volume 3

#73 in Books > Teens > Literature & Fiction > Comics & Graphic Novels > Superheroes
    #190 in Books > Comics & Graphic Novels > Publishers > Marvel
    #415 in Books > Comics & Graphic Novels > Graphic Novels > Superheroes

Oh and the last FF trade-Fantastic Four Epic Collection: The Master Plan of Doctor Doom

#425 in Books > Comics & Graphic Novels > Publishers > Marvel
    #1000 in Books > Comics & Graphic Novels > Graphic Novels > Superheroes
    #26667 in Books > Children's Books

Fantastic Four Volume 3: Doomed 2014

#5654 in Books > Comics & Graphic Novels > Publishers > Marvel
    #14224 in Books > Comics & Graphic Novels > Graphic Novels > Superheroes
    #90387 in Books > Teens

Gee look at who is getting beat in trades sales. Even other books from 2014 are still doing better. And a lot of those low sellers are doing fine in trades.

Other than the Spider-books, and the Avengers, and Thor, and Iron Man
    And Star Wars.

Holy crap, Guardians is down 20k sales in one issue? What the hell happened?
    TRADE WAITING.

She was doing fine in trades until CIVIL WAR 2 killed her. Now if you want a case for FF-she is your target.

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    It's #142 at #4 with about 14k in sales. Not very good.
    Whatever's keeping Lunella from the chopping block (Scholastic, digital, TPBs?) will probably keep her team book afloat too.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Whatever's keeping Lunella from the chopping block (Scholastic, digital, TPBs?) will probably keep her team book afloat too.
    No it won't. Her book is a self contained adventure that kids can read.

SW is a team book involved in events. Look at Champions.

Thought Scholastic would buy it, they didn't after #1.

Astonishing Member Ianbarreilles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Moriarty View Post
    Marvel has to keep the book/character around there till the movie is out.
    Not to mention she has fans who actually have a genuine interest a invested interest in having and seeing Carol Danvers captain marvel series continue myself included, and like yeah I think it's in some ways fair to deny that the series doesn't have much of a fanbase when most of the fans aren't as vocal as they should or could in their support of not just the series but the character and the struggling sales that the series has suffered with does also play a role in that, but what I think that isn't fair at all is to say that marvel should stop publishing captain marvel carol Danvers comics in their entirety.

Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan View Post
    Books that are selling below 20,000. How long will they last. Here they are:

Gwenpool
    Hulk
    Black Bolt
    Royals
    Sam Wilson
    Ultimates2 (this one ends this month)
    Iceman
    Mighty Captain Marvel (down 24.91% in one month!)
    I Am Groot
    US Avengers
    Spider-Man 2099
    Doctor Strange and the Sorcerers Supreme (this one is ending)
    Secret Warriors
    Luke Cage
    Rocket
    Hawkeye
    America
    Nick Fury
    Zombies Assemble
    Squirrel Girl
    Occupy Avengers (last issue)
    Monsters Unleashed
    Unstoppable Wasp (stops this month as it is Marvel's lowest seller)
    I hope Gwenpool stays for a while longer. Its been of the best books out there recently. That said, its made it to almost 20 issues. I honestly did not think it would go beyond #8, so that's something at least! Shame about Hulk, but have my fingers crossed Legacy and the change of name back to She-Hulk will help boost it up (Also, perhaps a change of content to a more traditional characterization of Jen?) Just started reading Hawkeye, and it really deserves to be higher. As for America, I am one of those weird fans who rather likes it how it is? But yeah, it would not surprise me if its canceled soon or gets a change of writer. I just hope if that happens, MAC is not lost in the tides of Marvel past and forgotten about.

I am really glad that Astonishing did well. It was a great start to what could be the best current team book. Shame about Iceman too. Really loving that book, and not just for the LGBT stuff. Its just a 'cool' X-book too.

As for Captain Marvel, I doubt they will cut-off her solo any time soon but... personally speaking, I think they need to do some drastic changes. They need to acknowledge that CWII did a tole on her, both in the eyes of readers and in-comics. I mean, I adore Carol, but its been a shame how little the solo book has dealt with the aftermath of what happened. She caused a fracture in the superhuman community, and ended up putting one of her best friends in a coma. Yet all her solo book seems to have been about so far is how amazing she is! Bring her back down to earth, both in characterization and location. Show us that she is a vulnerable character with depth.
    Last edited by Valamist; 08-14-2017 at 04:10 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ianbarreilles View Post
    Not to mention she has fans who actually have a genuine interest a invested interest in having and seeing Carol Danvers captain marvel series continue myself included, and like yeah I think it's in some ways fair to deny that the series doesn't have much of a fanbase when most of the fans aren't as vocal as they should or could in their support of not just the series but the character and the struggling sales that the series has suffered with does also play a role in that, but what I think that isn't fair at all is to say that marvel should stop publishing captain marvel carol Danvers comics in their entirety.
    What makes Carol different than any other character? Or team? Why should she keep a book if it can't sell yet no choice to bring back the Academy kids who book sold better than hers? Or the FF? Or how about the New X-Men?

At the end of the day it is a business, so what makes Carol's fans more important than those fans?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonspider89 View Post
    On Captain Marvel: Yeah gotta keep it around and copy MCU's version. Marvel can't make her compelling and just is going to ape there version.

SE: Yeah totally doing great, selling under 100k for an event. LOL, man it is making CWII and AXIS look like massive hits.

And a lot of good books are up for cancellation. Yeah Marvel totally does not need a change of top brass.

And yeah America is bad, needs to get a different writer. Book so bad.
    Marvel can not make a person read nor a store sell a book.

A lot of these book were deemed UNWELCOME the moment they were announced. It did not matter how good they could be or really are-those folks who want to make them the scapegoats for FF being MIA or an attack on the Silver Age-do not care.

If you liked some of those books-that is all Marvel can be concerned about. Because at least you TRIED it. At least you can offer an opinion about story content and not go around encouraging folks to boycott a book.

Nor be the one with NO DATA-encouraging folks to not buy a book because YOU feel like it has no business being made.