Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Ianbarreilles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonspider89 View Post
    What makes Carol different than any other character? Or team? Why should she keep a book if it can't sell yet no choice to bring back the Academy kids who book sold better than hers? Or the FF? Or how about the New X-Men?

At the end of the day it is a business, so what makes Carol's fans more important than those fans?

because I have a invested interest in seeing Carol seceed and that includes any series her character may be in but most of all I want to see her captain marvel series continue that's why there's no other reason.

But what else should I expect from a carol hater?

And I will say the same thing about Hawkeye, and the inhuman books and u.s.avengers these are all titles that are struggling to sell month to month but they're so good and have no reason to get the axe just because they're selling terribly.
    Last edited by Ianbarreilles; 08-14-2017 at 04:24 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Marvel can not make a person read nor a store sell a book.

A lot of these book were deemed UNWELCOME the moment they were announced. It did not matter how good they could be or really are-those folks who want to make them the scapegoats for FF being MIA or an attack on the Silver Age-do not care.

If you liked some of those books-that is all Marvel can be concerned about. Because at least you TRIED it. At least you can offer an opinion about story content and not go around encouraging folks to boycott a book.

Nor be the one with NO DATA-encouraging folks to not buy a book because YOU feel like it has no business being made.
    Notice how I said good books?

I like Iceman, Gwenpool, Captain Falcon(despite thinking Spencer is off his rockers with the Nazi Cap storyline), Hulk(writer doing the best with it), Hawkeye, Chulk, and everything I said HAS been backed up by data. Whether you like it or not, what the stores and BC(unfortunately) says when it comes to sales ends up being right as shown by any data. The overships and constant #1 and variant cover gimmicks give them fake sales for a month then they drop.

Also if I had a kid I would let them read Moon Girl. Problem is how she is written in events and other books doesn't capture her book, also marketing is trash.

What makes Carol different than any other character? Or team? Why should she keep a book if it can't sell yet no choice to bring back the Academy kids who book sold better than hers? Or the FF? Or how about the New X-Men?

At the end of the day it is a business, so what makes Carol's fans more important than those fans?
    She have a movie in production?
    They could make a movie of Gwenpool, she sells more.I would had not believe it but his book is indeed funny.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

The Guardians book I think is suffering from double shipping at 3.99. The books are high quality.

Gwenpool and the rest of the low sellers I think are suffering because both Marvel and the Wednesday Warriors.

Iceman deserves better than Cable and Gen X.

I fear the the Wednesday Warriors and Diamond will keep things static for a long time, a far cry from All New Marvel Now.

Dammit Axel.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    That's a fair point, but putting their top writer on Iron Man, giving him two books and making him the focus of the big event (along with Captain Marvel, the other character they were pushing hard) all made it seem like they were trying to make him bigger than he had been in the comics in recent years. Maybe talking about him as the flagship character was just hype, but it seems like they thought he could at least be bigger than he'd been under Gillen. If they did think that, it clearly didn't work.
    I'd say it's a bit of a grey area, giving a character a push is different to making them the flagship character. Of course they are going to promote Bendis on Iron Man because it's their top writer on what was the A-List movie character there's a lot of potential for commercial success there but I never got the impression that he was going to replace Spider-Man as Marvel's mascot.

Being a big part of an event is a strange thing, Iron Man was a major part of the original Civil War well before his success in movies or suggestions he be Marvel's top character. The character lends itself to being front and center of these kinds of stories. If there was a push for Iron Man to be Marvel's flagship character they gave up on it pretty quickly given how Civil War II left the character.

I like Iceman, Gwenpool, Captain Falcon(despite thinking Spencer is off his rockers with the Nazi Cap storyline), Hulk(writer doing the best with it), Hawkeye, Chulk, and everything I said HAS been backed up by data. Whether you like it or not, what the stores and BC(unfortunately) says when it comes to sales ends up being right as shown by any data. The overships and constant #1 and variant cover gimmicks give them fake sales for a month then they drop.

Also if I had a kid I would let them read Moon Girl. Problem is how she is written in events and other books doesn't capture her book, also marketing is trash.
    Thing is BC has been wrong about things quite a lot and they focus exclusively on inexact direct sales data to back up their points even though as discussed a lot on here that's not the be all and end all of comic sales anymore. Not to mention they openly have an axe to grind against Marvel right now both creatively and commercially. Them pointing out Marvel's overshipping, multitudes of variants and relaunches is fair except they currently ignore the distinguished competition doing the same. They used to point it out when DC was their whipping boy now they've moved on they could give a crap about them doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    She have a movie in production?
    They could make a movie of Gwenpool, she sells more.I would had not believe it but his book is indeed funny.
    Well...yeah. I mean Marvel's track record with taking their B and even C-list properties and turning them into hugely successful movies in itself should be enough to bank on the success of Captain Marvel but the concept art and everything that's been said about the production has been well received that it looks like once again Marvel will have a hit on their hands and really does Marvel want to be the company that has a hugely successful Carol Danvers movie and no Carol Danvers comic out?

Marvel's best selling female hero is Jane Foster as Thor and she's outsold the last volume starring Odinson so maybe they should make a movie where Jane Foster becomes Thor and really watch certain sites rage explode.

Quote Originally Posted by Moriarty View Post
    Marvel has to keep the book/character around there till the movie is out.
    No they don't.

Exactly business.

And comics are just a part of them. Carol and the Avengers are an important part of the movie universe and Marvel is betting on the future as they need a strong female character just as DC has Wonder Woman.

Even though Carol is not having a comic book return (largely thanks to Civil War II and Bendis), the character has the confidence and protection of great marvel executives.

On the other hand even if you and I want the FF return or New X-mens these are properties that Fox has the movie rights so it is not something with lucrative potential for marvel.Comics is just a part of the industry and Carol is now into games and cartoons if the movie is a success is all that marvel needs and may even be able to help in the sales of comics with Carol.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Miller View Post
    No they don't.
    I think it helps having the title remain around, besides it would be a major waste for them to just decide to stop publishing captain marvel Carol Danvers comics altogether just because her series struggles to sell and a certain vocal majority of readers don't like the character, but it would be a waste because marvel did a lot to put Carol where she is now and I think a lot of us have different opinions and how they went about it and what they did with the character you either hate what marvel is doing with the character or you support it but the point is marvel did a lot to push Carol Danvers and it would honestly be a waste I would say it would even be a mistake if they decided to cave to the haters.
    Last edited by Ianbarreilles; 08-14-2017 at 06:02 PM.

Incredible Member

They should have killed Carol off or put her into a coma at the end of Civil War 2, then did a relaunch when her movie came out, absence may have made the heart grow fonder, right now Carol is the definition of overpushed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Reader View Post
    They should have killed Carol off or put her into a coma at the end of Civil War 2, then did a relaunch when her movie came out, absence may have made the heart grow fonder, right now Carol is the definition of overpushed.
    We'll have to agree to disagree, I think her haters are irrational they just hate her because they hate her no reason whatsoever for the hate..

I don't think they should kill or cancel Carol's book but I'm wondering if even the success of the movie will actually boost her sales at this point.

BANNED

Mighty Thor is holding strong. I wonder what kind of bump #700 will see.

I think, it would work out better for Captain Marvel in the long run if her solo title was put on hold until November 2018 and was relaunched to coincide with the movie's release.

Maybe with a team like Marjorie Liu and Fiona Staples. If Marvel could get them.

Quote Originally Posted by Clementine - The Worst Poster Ever View Post
    Mighty Thor is holding strong. I wonder what kind of bump #700 will see.

I think, it would work out better for Captain Marvel in the long run if her solo title was put on hold until November 2018 and was relaunched to coincide with the movie's release.

Maybe with a team like Marjorie Liu and Fiona Staples. If Marvel could get them.
    No it wouldn't that's not fair to her fans to put the character in comic book limbo never to appear in anything in the comics until the film comes close to releasing and for what? just because a certain vocal majority of readers hate her for reason whatsoever? Or because her series struggles to sell? That's ridiculous.
    Last edited by Ianbarreilles; 08-14-2017 at 06:50 PM.

More eldritch than thou Venomous Mask's Avatar

Carol being published is not the issue, the issue is her suddenly being made "Earth's Mightiest Superhero" all of a sudden. I understand that Marvel wants to promote her, but they are turning her into a Mary Sue and seem to be demanding that we all accept it. Most of Marvel's most popular heroes developed their popularity organically, through appeal and good stories, not being shoved down people's throats. Carol Danvers is a classic Marvel character, but the way she's being portrayed is quite off-putting.
    "I should describe my known nature as tripartite, my interests consisting of three parallel and disassociated groups; a) love of the strange and the fantastic, b) love of abstract truth and scientific logic, c) love of the ancient and the permanent. Sundry combinations of these strains will probably account for my...odd tastes, and eccentricities."

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ianbarreilles View Post
    We'll have to agree to disagree, I think her haters are irrational they just hate her because they hate her no reason whatsoever for the hate..

Well I don't hate carol - especially since she's fictional - but since CW2 - which I think did her no favours and showed a very poor use of her I am totally uninterested in her as a character, for me she was totally re branded by that event as a somewhat dictatorial megalomaniac, but tony came off just as bad imo

which from my perspective is a shame coz I was very happy when she was finally called captain marvel

If fairness I feel marvel has damaged most of their longtime characters in recent years and carol has just been amongst the worst hit imo