Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ianbarreilles View Post
    No it wouldn't that's not fair to her fans to put the character in comic nook limbo never to appear in anything in the comics until the film comes close to releasing and for what just because a certain vocal majority of readers hate her for reason whatsoever? Or because her series struggles to sell? That's ridiculous.
    If her series struggles to sell, and her book sees diminishing returns with each relaunch, a brief hiatus might be the best thing for the book.

In the short term, fans of the character will be missing out, but taking a break and relaunching with hype from the movie and two creators that doing very well outside of Marvel & DC might get the book to perform better than it has in years.

Right now the book is doing 15k, and if it continues doing those numbers it's only a matter of time before Marvel cancels it, especially if it doesn't pick up after the movie. With some planning, a brief break, and a creative with some name recognition, the book could stabilize in the 30k to 40k range.

No it wouldn't that's not fair to her fans to put the character in comic book limbo never to appear in anything in the comics until the film comes close to releasing and for what just because a certain vocal majority of readers hate her for reason whatsoever? Or because her series struggles to sell? That's ridiculous.
    It's really not ridiculous. Giving her a break and tying her return with the movie release could renew interest in the character while right now she's selling less and less.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Venomous Mask View Post
    Carol being published is not the issue, the issue is her suddenly being made "Earth's Mightiest Superhero" all of a sudden. I understand that Marvel wants to promote her, but they are turning her into a Mary Sue and seem to be demanding that we all accept it. Most of Marvel's most popular heroes developed their popularity organically, through appeal and good stories, not being shoved down people's throats. Carol Danvers is a classic Marvel character, but the way she's being portrayed is quite off-putting.

Earth's mightiest? As binary maybe otherwise I think she barely scrapes top ten

More eldritch than thou Venomous Mask's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post
    Earth's mightiest? As binary maybe otherwise I think she barely scrapes top ten
    That's how she's been marketed as of late, though.
    "I should describe my known nature as tripartite, my interests consisting of three parallel and disassociated groups; a) love of the strange and the fantastic, b) love of abstract truth and scientific logic, c) love of the ancient and the permanent. Sundry combinations of these strains will probably account for my...odd tastes, and eccentricities."

Astonishing Member

Carol being published is not the issue, the issue is her suddenly being made "Earth's Mightiest Superhero" all of a sudden. I understand that Marvel wants to promote her, but they are turning her into a Mary Sue and seem to be demanding that we all accept it. Most of Marvel's most popular heroes developed their popularity organically, through appeal and good stories, not being shoved down people's throats. Carol Danvers is a classic Marvel character, but the way she's being portrayed is quite off-putting.
    Marvel needs an answer to DC's Wonder Woman. For now it's Captain Marvel. She's definitely gotten a power upgrade and her icon status is repeatedly being pushed.

It's too bad Marvel doesn't try and put an A-list writer/artist and let them go to work.

More eldritch than thou Venomous Mask's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    Marvel needs an answer to DC's Wonder Woman. For now it's Captain Marvel. She's definitely gotten a power upgrade and her icon status is repeatedly being pushed.

It's too bad Marvel doesn't try and put an A-list writer/artist and let them go to work.
    Wonder Woman has decades of being a cultural icon, while Carol has been known largely only to fans of the comics, and has only been Captain Marvel for a few years. Unless Marvel Studios can get an absolutely amazing script, I don't think the movie will be on par with Wonder Woman, which has broken records. Wonder Woman's movie wasn't wildly successful because the character was suddenly given an exorbitant push by DC and treated like a Mary Sue, it was because, on top of everyone in the world being able to recognize her, she got an amazing movie with a perfect actress to play the role. Popular heroes like Thor, Hulk and Iron Man had some cultural capital when their movies came out, Carol has hardly any. I want the movie to succeed, but Marvel's going about this all wrong. Honestly, if her solo movie is done right, Black Widow might end up being a better answer to Wonder Woman than Carol.

As to giving her a good writer, definitely. A book about a super-powered vigilante that fights evil throughout the galaxy, the villains no one else can fight? I would definitely read that. Does she even have any unique villains yet?
    "I should describe my known nature as tripartite, my interests consisting of three parallel and disassociated groups; a) love of the strange and the fantastic, b) love of abstract truth and scientific logic, c) love of the ancient and the permanent. Sundry combinations of these strains will probably account for my...odd tastes, and eccentricities."

Astonishing Member Ianbarreilles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Clementine - The Worst Poster Ever View Post
    If her series struggles to sell, and her book sees diminishing returns with each relaunch, a brief hiatus might be the best thing for the book.

In the short term, fans of the character will be missing out, but taking a break and relaunching with hype from the movie and two creators that doing very well outside of Marvel & DC might get the book to perform better than it has in years.

Right now the book is doing 15k, and if it continues doing those numbers it's only a matter of time before Marvel cancels it, especially if it doesn't pick up after the movie. With some planning, a brief break, and a creative with some name recognition, the book could stabilize in the 30k to 40k range.
    No I'd rather have her series continue to struggle then see her character being put in the exact position where the fantastic four are right now which is basically comic book limbo where they have no book and don't appear in any of the comics safe for Ben Grimm, johnny storm, and victor von doom of course but I think you get my point.
    Last edited by Ianbarreilles; 08-14-2017 at 07:23 PM.

BANNED

Problem is a lot of the a list female writer Marvel drove away.

DeConnick/Liu both wouldn't want to return. Make much more at Image than at Marvel.

I mean how many times did Liu get overlooked for A-list books?

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonspider89;3017354[B
    ]Problem is a lot of the a list female writer Marvel drove away. [/B]

DeConnick/Liu both wouldn't want to return. Make much more at Image than at Marvel.

So? Why does it have to be a female writer on Carol's book?

Astonishing Member

That's how she's been marketed as of late, though.

True - but I see no on page justification

Of course it's a nice play on "worlds Mightiest mortal" from another captain maybe?

BANNED

No I'd rather have her series continue to struggle then see her character being put in the exact position where the fantastic four are right now which is basically comic book limbo where they have no book and don't appear in any of the comics safe for Ben Grimm, johnny storm, and victor von doom of course but I think you get my point.
    The way I see it, with the way the book is performing now, it's only a matter of time before Marvel cancels it for good if it doesn't pick up after the movie. It'd be great if Marvel kept publishing some books despite low sales, but I don't see them doing that long term. If the book continues to do the same numbers, then after the eventual cancellation, Captain Marvel will probably be limited to a team book, and have no solo book of her own.

So it becomes a matter of going without Captain Marvel for about a year Vs going without Captain Marvel for years.

I think it's probably likely that Marvel will try and net Carol an A-list (comic-wise) creative team to bump up interest before they stop publishing the book.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonspider89 View Post
    Problem is a lot of the a list female writer Marvel drove away.

Maybe Marvel can offer Liu something that will get her on board?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think it's probably likely that Marvel will try and net Carol an A-list (comic-wise) creative team to bump up interest before they stop publishing the book.
    Probably.

But without a brief break, it might treated as just another relaunch.

Astonishing Member Ianbarreilles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Clementine - The Worst Poster Ever View Post
    The way I see it, with the way the book is performing now, it's only a matter of time before Marvel cancels it for good if it doesn't pick up after the movie. It'd be great if Marvel kept publishing some books despite low sales, but I don't see them doing that long term. If the book continues to do the same numbers, then after the eventual cancellation, Captain Marvel will probably be limited to a team book, and have no solo book of her own.

So it becomes a matter of going without Captain Marvel for about a year Vs going without Captain Marvel for years.
    I am of the belief that certain series are protected by marvel from being cancelled and you can guess why that is.

BANNED

I am of the belief that certain series are protected by marvel from being cancelled and you can guess why that is.
    I think so too, but I don't think that the protection is indefinite.