View Poll Results: Seinfeld or Big Bang Theory?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Seinfeld

26 74.29%
  • Big Bang Theory

10 28.57%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Seinfeld vs Big Bang Theory

Which show do people discuss more: Seinfeld or the Big Bang Theory?
    Pull List: Currently Empty

The sound of chirping crickets is such a cliche . . .

Why don't you go first? In fact, one of the rules around here is to put some thought into an opening post.

I thought I did by stating the fact that which of the two is discussed more.

For the record, I voted for Big Bang Theory.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod G View Post

You didn't state a fact. You asked a question.

But also, if you state a fact or a thought, back it up with some reasoning and thought (whatever it may be), if your goal is to prompt a discussion here.

BANNED

I don't know anyone who frequently discusses either show

But Seinfeld is the better show by a country mile. I don't even understand the big appeal of Big Bang Theory. They say nerdy things, therefore I'm supposed to laugh?

Okay...

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    You didn't state a fact. You asked a question.
    Now that I think about it, the Seinfeld vs Friends thread started exactly the same way. Its the equivalent of throwing a newspaper in the middle of a room full of people and saying "DISCUSS!"

But also, if you state a fact or a thought, back it up with some reasoning and thought (whatever it may be), if your goal is to prompt a discussion here.
    I've never understood people who want other people to discuss things, without themselves discussing anything. What is that about? Something to read while you have your morning coffee?

How hard would it be to say "Which show do people discuss more: Seinfeld or the Big Bang Theory? I myself like Big Bang Theory because" and then proceed to give reasons why?

The only conversation I've ever had about Big Bang Theory is about how I'm embarrassed that it exists.

I've had frequent conversations about which was the better Seinfeld episode, and how quotable it is.

Probably The Big Bang Theory because new episodes are still being made and the reruns have been big on TBS. Plus the reruns run in prime time on MyTV.
    While Seinfeld ended about 20 years ago, and less reruns are currently being aired, especially in prime time. So a whole new more social media aware generation
    has been watching TBBT while less media savvy people are Seinfeld fans, thus less discussion of Seinfeld.

Can you watch any random episode of the Big Bang Theory and find it hilarious, if you've never seen the show before? I think that's a lot of the charm Seinfeld has going for it; every episode is awesome, and you need no backstory at all to enjoy it.

Retired

Surely SEINFELD comes up in more conversations. Not that one always talks directly about the show itself, but it just has a lot of easy elements to reference in conversation. It's like Shakespeare, you don't even know you're referencing it half the time. It's part of the common vernacular.

I know TBBT has contributed a few things to pop culture references, but I don't know that many that are episode specific the way SEINFELD's are. But maybe when it's been around for twenty years that will happen.

As to the Original Post, I thought that was a good opening. I never know how to start a topic--which is why I try not to--because if you don't say hardly anything there isn't enough to respond to, but if you say too much it becomes a soliloquy.

At the moment, people would be discussing TBBT theory more because it's current. TBBT theory has the advantage of social media so that any person can write an article and get a discussion going, or it can go viral.. etc. The mid-90s had no such equivalent.

If we were to take people talking about Seinfeld in the mid-90s compared to people talking about TBBT theory now; I'd lean towards Seinfeld being a more well-rounded topic of discussion. TBBT is good in-and-of-itself and you can discuss it with people who watch the show; the subjects on Seinfeld are further-reaching.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rod G View Post

People still talk about Seinfeld and that show ended 19 years ago. I can't think of one time I've ever heard people actually discussing what happened in an episode of Big Bang Theory in the real world. I've heard people bring it up, but no real actual discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Za Waldo View Post
    People still talk about Seinfeld and that show ended 19 years ago. I can't think of one time I've ever heard people actually discussing what happened in an episode of Big Bang Theory in the real world. I've heard people bring it up, but no real actual discussion.
    I prefer Seinfeld over Big Bang Theory, but I imagine that people will talk about Big Bang Theory a bit more once it's off the air, for the sake of nostalgia. Seinfeld (the sitcom)'s legacy benefits from that same nostalgia.

Well, be that as it may . . .

For starters, I find that Sheldon Cooper, for all his vaunted intellect, is just as petty as George Costanza.