Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bobellis75 View Post
    Am I crazy or didn't Erik Larsen write/draw the ending to Supreme using Moore's script? Then I think Larsen built on it for a few issues doing his own thing and it got panned critically.
    Yea, Larsen did write the last issue (though I'm not sure his issue used Moore's script, the issue before was all Moore and I think Larsen just used his own ideas to end Moore's story in Part 2). For completeness's sake I included it in my bind with a disclaimer.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 10-06-2017 at 10:25 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

#63 used Moores script and was pencilled by Larsen. Then Larsen took over scripting with #64.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Flux View Post
    #63 used Moores script and was pencilled by Larsen. Then Larsen took over scripting with #64.
    That's what I thought...Larsen did the one issues using Moore's script then did a handful of his own issues and the series flamed out.

Yea, and #64 was written to basically close out #63 and transition into a different direction, so that's what I was talking about there, to clear up any confusion.

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    Yea, and #64 was written to basically close out #63 and transition into a different direction, so that's what I was talking about there, to clear up any confusion.
    Yeah Larsen decided to kind of go back to pre-Moore era and wiped things out. Which is probably why it tanked. "I'd like to erase all the great work done by one of the best Writer's this medium has ever seen and reboot to when the series was crap."

And someone said - Okay go for it, Erik!

*shrugs.

Whilst I agree the Moore stuff is the highlight of the book I certainly dont begrudge Larsen for taking it in a new direction. Moore only signed on with the condition that he could do just that himself. And the latest series by Ellis was pretty much its own thing once again.
    I dont think you can level low sales at not continuing with what Moore did. The book hadnt been touched in over a decade, it was always gonna have a tough time finding an audience. The critically acclaimed Prophet and Glory runs from the same initiative also suffered low sales, as did Youngblood, arguably the most recognisable IP.

*shrugs.

Whilst I agree the Moore stuff is the highlight of the book I certainly dont begrudge Larsen for taking it in a new direction. Moore only signed on with the condition that he could do just that himself. And the latest series by Ellis was pretty much its own thing once again.
    I dont think you can level low sales at not continuing with what Moore did. The book hadnt been touched in over a decade, it was always gonna have a tough time finding an audience. The critically acclaimed Prophet and Glory runs from the same initiative also suffered low sales, as did Youngblood, arguably the most recognisable IP.
    Probably so...and I don't begrudge the guy doing his thing...I think there were better ways to go than to try and go all the way back to the original stuff - pre Moore - but that's just me. Moore just did a great job of building it up, seems the smart play would have been to build more from there. but you're right - that's a very long hiatus to come back from.

Spectacular Member

I'm not sure Supreme has much of an audience outside of Moore's Superman pastiche. THe original concept was Superman only arrogant and not particularly benevolent, although there was some religiousity in there at times too. I remember reading the pre Moore stuff, I think Brian Murray did most of it. It wasn't particularly good but for some reason I liked the concept and kept reading it for quite a while. Even before Moore it got up to the 40's which was remarkable for an Image book
    trying to be nicer

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Jay View Post
    I'm not sure Supreme has much of an audience outside of Moore's Superman pastiche.
    Things like New Frontier and etc tell me there'd a good enough audience for Moore's Supreme, if more could easily get to read it. I wish all Superman and classic comic readers could read it because they'd be surprised by how authentic and detailed it is, and how fun. Moore's Supreme is arguably more Superman than his actual Superman stories.

Spectacular Member

By coincidence, I managed to pick up the two TPB's at a decent price. I had read much of the first TPB before, but was able to really appreciate the story this time around. The comic has such a strong concept and execution, it is reminiscent of Moore's best work because it seems self-contained. I enjoyed the second TPB a lot less than the first, which stands on its own with the past and present inextricably interlinked. There are so many nods to earlier issues, and the setups are so subtle in comparison to some other writers who try to be clever and to make their work intricate but end up making a cumbersome and convoluted mess. I'd compare it to Planetary insofar as each issue could be read as a single issue, but also works as part of a larger narrative.

I haven't yet read Tom Strong or Promethea, but both are on their way. Looking forward to reading them after re-reading Supreme.

I also loved Moore's Supreme and own the two Checker TPBs. But if you like those, check out Judgment Day, a miniseries Moore wrote for Liefeld's Awesome Comics that ties into Supreme and Youngblood. It takes place during the Supreme run, and is alluded to in one of the Supreme stories.

It's a courtroom drama with superheroes, centered around one Youngblood member on trial for murdering another. But it ends up being this historical pastiche detailing the untold history of the entire Awesome Comics universe, jumping around through time as witnesses tell stories based on different eras of comics that all fit together at the end. It sounds weird, and it is, but I highly recommend it to all. Liefeld draws the framing sequences, but there are plenty of good guest artists, ranging from Dan Jurgens to Keith Giffen, doing his best Kirby impression. The issues are confusingly titled Judgment Day: Alpha, Judgment Day: Omega, Judgment Day: Final Judgment, Judgment Day: Aftermath (those four are compiled in the TPB), and Judgment Day: Sourcebook (left out of the TPB for any number of reasons).

There are a few Moore-written issues of Youngblood that came out afterwards that are worth seeking out for Moore fans and completists, including an Awesome Holiday Special.

I would've liked to see Moore's original ending for his Supreme run.
    I kind of wonder if he had an ending in mind and if he was going to bring back violent Supreme or not. But, to my understanding, that was never written.
    Last edited by JJ87; 11-18-2017 at 02:03 PM.

Spectacular Member

This still hasn't been collected yet? Good! I'd like to get it as I lent my two trades over ten years ago and would love to own it in a hardcover and reread those.

Supreme is just that. Maybe the 2nd best Superman story ever, after Supreme Power. Funny how the best Supes stories are done using analogs.