Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 LastLast
    Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Midnighter View Post
    They don't appear to be keeping that in continuity. I'm glad.
    Except that Tynion is on record saying that he loved Robinson's storyarc involving Will.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by The Whovian View Post
    Except that Tynion is on record saying that he loved Robinson's storyarc involving Will.
    If you're talking about the part of the article where he says "The characters and the mythology connected to them are some of my all time favorites; I love the James Robinson and Tony Harris run on the character so much, it was something Scott and I talked about a lot. Plus, the name “Starman” is just cool"

I took that as referring to the run as a whole not Robinson's take on Payton. I mean if it were still the case wouldn't they have just used Gavin? That's where the character(s) was/were last left off.

Also didn't Robinson's story say that Gavin somehow was the reason Will's body got it's powers? Tynion stated they come from the dark multiverse.
    Last edited by Midnighter; 09-17-2018 at 06:58 PM.

Honestly, I came off Robinson's story thinking that that Starman was both Payton and Gavyn, so I'm not too fussed one way or another.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Honestly, I came off Robinson's story thinking that that Starman was both Payton and Gavyn, so I'm not too fussed one way or another.
    I realize Will is one of the more obscure Starmen for a lotta folks.

But my screen name on the old DCU boards actually was Will Payton so I'm a fan of his,lol. Started his series from issue #1. Loved his relationships with Power-Girl and Phantom Lady,and the time he and Guy Gardner got into a brawl when Guy tried recruiting him to the JLI.

There was an awesome issue where he fought Lobo in space by PAD and Mike Mignola that had me laughing my ass off,lol.

I like that Robinson tried to tie him into the other Starmen's mythos a bit more but IMO by trying to combine Will and Gavyn he somehow made them both less.

I hope this untangles the two and maybe Will can get a chance to shine.
    Last edited by Midnighter; 09-17-2018 at 10:20 PM.

Mighty Member

i wonder if the white hair has something to do with Will's abilities. It gives him a cool visual look either way.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

Spectacular Member

But my screen name on the old DCU boards actually was Will Payton so I'm a fan of his,lol. Started his series from issue #1. Loved his relationships with Power-Girl and Phantom Lady,and the time he and Guy Gardner got into a brawl when Guy tried recruiting him to the JLI.

There was an awesome issue where he fought Lobo in space by PAD and Mike Mignola that had me laughing my ass off,lol.

I like that Robinson tried to tie him into the other Starmen's mythos a bit more but IMO by trying to combine Will and Gavyn he somehow made them both less.

Brilliantly stated. Love Will Payton coming back!

If you're talking about the part of the article where he says "The characters and the mythology connected to them are some of my all time favorites; I love the James Robinson and Tony Harris run on the character so much, it was something Scott and I talked about a lot. Plus, the name “Starman” is just cool"

I took that as referring to the run as a whole not Robinson's take on Payton. I mean if it were still the case wouldn't they have just used Gavin? That's where the character(s) was/were last left off.

Also didn't Robinson's story say that Gavin somehow was the reason Will's body got it's powers? Tynion stated they come from the dark multiverse.
    I took it to mean that he loved Robinson and Harris' run on Starman involving Will Payton because Tynion's story is going to involve Will. Why else bring it up?
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

I took it to mean that he loved Robinson and Harris' run on Starman involving Will Payton because Tynion's story is going to involve Will. Why else bring it up?
    Your initial post that I responded to questioned if he knew that it was left off with Will and Gavyn being the same character.

Clearly he would be aware of that as he has stated that he is a big fan of the run. If he were acknowledging the run here he'd be using Gavyn as that's where it was left off.

The two characters should have NEVER been mangled together in the first place.It diminished them both.
    Last edited by Midnighter; 09-18-2018 at 03:07 PM.

Your initial post that I responded to questioned if he knew that it was left off with Will and Gavyn being the same character.

Clearly he would be aware of that as he has stated that he is a big fan of the run. If he were acknowledging the run here he'd be using Gavyn as that's where it was left off.

The two characters should have NEVER been mangled together in the first place.It diminished them both.
    I'm just interested in seeing where this all goes. I'm happy for the Will Payton fans. Me? My favorite Starman is Jack Knight.

And I agree with you, "Bring back Connor Kent!!!"

I'm just interested in seeing where this all goes. I'm happy for the Will Payton fans. Me? My favorite Starman is Jack Knight.

And I agree with you, "Bring back Connor Kent!!!"
    All good bro.

I just never thought we'd be getting Will back after all this time and not conflated with Gavyn. Whooo-hoooo!

As an aside David is reportedly returning in the JSA relaunch. I know Jack has a TON of love from fans , but would you be ok with someone else other than Robinson writing him if he were to return? If so who would be your writer of choice?
    Last edited by Midnighter; 09-18-2018 at 03:55 PM.

I thought it made both even cooler, but to each their own .
    As an aside David is reportedly returning in the JSA relaunch. I know Jack has a TON of love from fans , but would you be ok with someone else other than Robinson writing him if he were to return? If so who would be your writer of choice?
    Where has this been reported?

All good bro.

I just never thought we'd be getting Will back after all this time and not conflated with Gavyn. Whooo-hoooo!

No. While I love Jack dearly and he is my favorite Starman and one of my favorite DC characters, he had a perfect and happy ending. Stargirl is another one of my favorite DC characters and someone who I have been waiting to make her return. So if the JSA returns I would like for Courtney to be the wielder of the cosmic staff.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Never. Jack's story was told. He had a happy ending and in my mind, he's living happily in Opal City, raising his son.

BUT, if DC did bring Jack back, I wouldn't want any writer other than Robinson to write him.

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    No. While I love Jack dearly and he is my favorite Starman and one of my favorite DC characters, he had a perfect and happy ending. Stargirl is another one of my favorite DC characters and someone who I have been waiting to make her return. So if the JSA returns I would like for Courtney to be the wielder of the cosmic staff.
    Definitely. I would love to see Courtney come back with the cosmic rod. But I have a feeling that DC is going to bring back Ted, and he would have to have the rod. And that's okay, because I really like Ted too.

I'd be shocked if Courtney isn't involved with the JSA once the team comes back.

It's the only reason I can think of that she's been in limbo for so long.