Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Superman #29 Discussion Thread

I never realised how awesome a Superman/Parallax confrontation could be until I read this issue. For those who have been disappointed with Superman in recent months, I would definitely say this issue is a return to form. Superman resisting Parallax's possession is a great highlight for Superman's courage and willpower.

A Pokemon-Go-style game with Captain Carrot and the Zoo crew?Make that happen,DC.

BANNED

Really good stuff, great art to go with it. Looking forward to the Supes/Sinestro throw down in a couple of weeks.

Scary fusion... He looks better in the cover.

Finally, Sinestro returns. He is right, Parallax is better with Sinestro.

Solid stuff, i was not dissapointed, i like how Clark let himself be possesed instead of just catching off guard.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Yeah, man, I f#%k with this issue. Drop the mic review right here lol

But for real, Champagne's dialog runs a bit smoother than Tomasi and Gleason's has in the last few arcs (excluding Manchester's admittedly perfectly hammy colloquialisms in Black Dawn). The way this is plotted out--a team effort by all three writers, I'm sure--is a good deal more forward moving and consistent than it's been in quite some time. This could've easily been the unnecessary slow pace of the Frankenstein two parter. I ended up digging that arc for what it was, but I felt it lacking in story to tell. This issue just throws you right in like a good episode of Doctor Who. It takes a simple basic fear concept that we can all relate to (as either the child or the parent or at least empathize with, and it puts a strange spin on it and throws in Superman.

I can tell that the only reason this isn't one issue is due to the double shipping. But this was good set up issue/cliff hanger, and I just need issue 30 to make good on the promise of anti-matter universes for this book to get on the road to being back on my good side. Imperius Lex is the true test, for me.

But all in all, yeah, I f#%k with this issue.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Good issue, superb art. Nice to see Jimmy at least in one panel once in a blue moon.

Always Rakzo

I thought this was passable. The premise of a conflict between Superman and Parallax is cool in and of itself but I felt some of the ideas were too repetitive and heavyhanded which also goes along with some of the blunt dialogue I found here.

Mahnke's artwork was pretty good though.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Nice to see Jimmy at least in one panel once in a blue moon.
    Lol at first I didn't even believe it was him till Superman said something.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Lol at first I didn't even believe it was him till Superman said something.
    I hardly believe that there was a time when he was Clark's BFF and knew his secret.

Nice to see Jimmy at least in one panel once in a blue moon.
    Is good for the people that care about him

I was wondering if Superman could use his vision powers to detect the Emotional Spectrum, so that was cool to see .

I miss Jimmy doing stuff .

It's probably a good thing Jess and Simon aren't on Earth. I don't think they're anywhere near ready for the Parallax + Sinestro combo quite yet.

I'm guessing Parallax and Sinestro were separated in the explosion in Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Crops. that left Sinestro in Qward. I'm wondering if he'll get Parrallax back in this issue or if Superman will manage to keep it from him.

I thought parr Alex was powering the yellow battery on Oa and has been separated from sinestro?

Very enjoyable issue

If I recall correctly, champagne is Mahnkes long time inker. Nice job!

I enjoyed this as the threat actually felt very threatening and not just a villain with a new plan and trope. It seems suiting that parallax is probably the scariest villain yet. Happy Jess and Simon were mentioned and that supes knew about Parallax.
    Enjoyed seeing Jimmy and the dialogue was good. I would say this is on par with the dinosaur island arc or #23-24. Tone did feel different.

I assume Superman has moved to metropolis now- I think it was meant to be addressed last arc but due to fill in issue was left out except the metropolis sign ending. Surprised there was nothing definitive as it only seems to have been mentioned in super sons #5 unless it was said in action comics?
    "You can't be everywhere, you can't do it all"
    "I'm not Batman, I have friends."
    "But listen, call yourself Bat-Chick, Knightbat, or Black Robin- the point is, don't forget- you have a family."
    "You don't need me. This is a job for.........Alfred!" -Tim Drake

"Dear Diary, I know what my next science project is going to be called: "My love/hate relationship with Gravity........And it was only then that young Stephanie truly realized gravity would forever be her enemy. "-Stephanie Brown

Incredible Member

Some thoughts:

spoilers:

- The missing children is a great touch, a realistic problem with a dose of sci-fi.
    - Anyone feel the boogeyman/monster-under-the-bed tones of Parallax? Goes great, whatwith Parallax being pretty much the ultimate boogeyman.
    - Superman seeing the Emotional Spectrum is great, after all its light, and light is in the Eletromagnetic Spectrum. Superman using his powers to feel others' emotion is a classic, so this builds upon that. A very nice cross of concepts.
    - Ah, so that's what the children are for.
    - Parallax can be fought physically? Interesting that. Is it because its weakened?
    - Supes fight with Parallax is dope. I was spoiling for a rematch since Green Lantern Rebirth. Seeing Superman reject it out and only let it in to protect others is great.

end of spoilers

Honestly I'm surprised the Superverse and the Lanternverse don't crossover more often. If anything, they're the closest of the Big Seven, in that space-opera sci-fi vibe.