Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default Astonishing XMEN #2 Spoilers and Discussion

-Rogue, OML, Fantomex, Beast and Gambit all find themselves in the astral plane enjoying some fine theatre. An illusion of Multiple Man introduces them to a play about the XMEN, and their most important enemies.

-Meanwhile, Shadow King and a chained up Xavier discuss what’s going on with the X-team in the astral plane, and it is revealed that both are playing a “game”. Now, it’s Xavier’s turn!

-Back in London, Psylocke continues to guide her teammates deeper into the astral plane while Archangel and Bishop discuss being surrounded by fighter planes. Bishop informs Psylocke that they’re after them after the damage the Shadow King forced Psylocke to cause. Nearby, a government agency access the situation and bring up files on all the XMEN involved. They know those involved as generally heroes but actions must be taken.

-Back in the astral plane, Gambit and Rogue are watching various X-couples on stage but they all keep shifting into different characters. They start to realize something is off just as Shadow King taunts Xavier who claims he is trying to help his former students. Soon the whole team catches on as the illusions of their former teammates break. The XMEN start fighting these now-zombie like illusions.

-Just then, OML notices something is off with Beast. He’s actually Mystique (now in a black costume)! Upo this discovery Fantomex points his guns at her and Rogue encourages him to shoot. Mystique informs them that she is disgusted with the Shadow King and knew she’s the only one on the team willing to make drastic choices to stop him. They accept her and soon notice three doors. One for OML. Another for Rogue and Gambit, and the final one for Mystique and Fantomex.

-The team then discuss that the illusions were being affected by two telepaths! They deduct the other telepath is actually helping them. They then realize they are the chess pieces in this game. They all decide to enter their respective doors.

-The Shadow King and Xavier discuss the next part of their game and reveal their agreement. If Shadow King wins, their souls and bodies are his. If Xavier wins, he gets to kill the XMEN himself as he’ll give them mercy the Shadow King never would.

BANNED

My post from the other Astonishing X-Men thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Star View Post
    ISSUE #2 was great. I'm sorry to see that Rogue and Remy's relationship is being officially brought to a close but I guess I'll still have my head canon. I just hope they don't stick Rogue with some lame dude (like Johnny Storm) after this. I'm discussing my thoughts on ROMY more in the ROMY and Rogue threads.

The book was a little too meta for me in the theater but eh, whatever - at least it's not frustratingly bogged down with political agendas like so many other books. Overall it's really engaging and I appreciate this series so far.
    Maybe we should keep just one thread?

Thank god they put Romy to bed. Of course this is temporary unless Soule actually can progress forward. Hopefully, Guggenheim learns from this (especially that Kitty/Colossus dig).

Astonishing Member Tazpocalapse's Avatar

Another good issue. I like the structure of this story so far.

Mystique's outfit reminds me of her costume from X-Men Evo.

Gambit and Rogue really hit the nail on the head. They have a spark, sure, but they also don't work. They really are the Jeff and Britta of the X-Men. Guggenheim could learn a lot from Soule when it comes to romance.

Best moment ever!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Two for two, Soule. Keep it up.

Quote Originally Posted by ţh€ €жţяą-๏яďɨɲąя¥ Tycon View Post
    Thank god they put Romy to bed. Of course this is temporary unless Soule actually can progress forward. Hopefully, Guggenheim learns from this (especially that Kitty/Colossus dig).
    I was about to say. No nostalgia-bait relationship is ever truly put to bed. How many writers have tried to draw a line under the whole Kitty/Peter thing?

BANNED

Why should it be put to bed though? Why can't a good writer just make it flourish?

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    Two for two, Soule. Keep it up.
    Yes, he is.

Astonishing Member Ianbarreilles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Star View Post
    Why should it be put to bed though? Why can't a good writer just make it flourish?
    Because some relationships are best left in the past that's why, I think for some relationships it's best to move on from what was and realize that it's just best to be and remain as friends and nothing more.

Quote Originally Posted by Ianbarreilles View Post
    Because some relationships are best left in the past that's why, I think for some relationships it's best to move on from what was and realize that it's just best to be and remain as friends and nothing more.
    Nah, you just hate Gambit. Saw your posts in Rogue thread.

Romance is not dead. Will see what Soule will bring in issue 4.

Read the issue. Brillant storytelling, everyone's lines were completely in-character, the meta commentery was spot on, and all in all It felt like good old Xmen comic yet with a fresh take on the lore. Confrontation between Mystique and Rogue was the highlight of the issue. And yeah, both Anna and to a lesser degree Remy felt pretty much over their relationship. It feels like Romy is moving towards the 'we had a spark back in the past but not anymore and out of respect for what we had let's not revive it' phase. And good for them! Those characters are way bigger than their romance and shouldn't be limited to the on-again, off-again never ending drama of it.