Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mighty Member

Default What got you into Batman?

Hello all, I'm sure this has been done before somewhere but I'm still a newbie compared to you guys and it will be a good opportunity to get to know where the Batman love came from. Is it different from your first time encountering the Bat?

We all started somewhere when it came to being comic fans, and I don't think there are too many of us here who witnessed Batman's creation, so what would you say interested you in the character enough to start buying/collecting comics. Heck I would say that a lot of people experienced these icons from media other than comics as children (at least prior to learning how to read).

I wasn't truly a fan until I started watching Batman: The Animated Series on Fox Kids every afternoon in the 90's. Even though I still watched the 60's Adam West show religiously (you'd be surprised on how many old shows they re-ran in the 90's), it still was BTAS that had me become a Batman addict, and I have been one for about 25 years and counting. In fact, I would say that BTAS, introduced me to Batman, and through Batman comics, my interest in comics expanded from there.

What was your first Bat experience? What got you into Batman? Were you into comics prior to getting into Batman specifically, or was he your genesis?

I will return...same Bat time, same Bat channel...

BANNED

While I can't remember a time where I didn't know who Batman was, my first exposure to the character in a piece of media was in Brave and the Bold #28, the first appearance of the Justice League.

I was reading comics before this though. Really, my dad and brother initially had to force me to read stories about any of the present day DCU characters, since at the time (I was 4) all I wanted to do was just read more and more about the Legion of Superheroes.

Extraordinary Member

I watched BTAS as a kid, and then my family's recorded copy of Batman Returns.

My interest then exploded when I got access to the Internet and started reading some of those late 1990's fan sites involving biographies of three Robins.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Believe it or not, the Adam West series, we wacth a lot re runs in my country . Little by little i met him in his mor "classic" incarnations from the 90s and 2000s animated series, to eventually reading a good chunk of his comic story and here i am.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    Believe it or not, the Adam West series, we wacth a lot re runs in my country . Little by little i met him in his mor "classic" incarnations from the 90s and 2000s animated series, to eventually reading a good chunk of his comic story and here i am.
    I was probably first interested in Batman because of the TV show with Adam West, but I was watching it when it originally aired in the mid-1960s ("Same Bat-time, same Bat-channel", which in my case was Channel 7, WABC-TV out of New York City). I even wore one of those store-bought Batman Halloween costumes for trick-or-treating when I was in first grade.

Spectacular Member

When I was a kid, my brothers and I would watch the TV show from the West days as well as the movie. (We taped the movie and watched it liked kids do their disney movies these days.) Shortly after the 89 movie came out, which we all loved. (I think the Superfreinds was also on in syndication too.) One brother started collecting a few comics here and there, which I would sneak and read. A few years later BTAS came out and that hooked me on a modern times Batman. I started getting into Batman comics around the time Hush came out.

Definitely the animated series for me. Didn't start reading the comics til Dick Grayson was Batman, which was an amazing period that should have lasted longer.

First : TV, 60's show

Fan : 89 Burton's movie

I did enjoy the old show and watched quite a bit of it when i was something around 8/10 but well, i was maybe a bit too young to really appreciate the second degree, the humor of the show. But concerning the movie, man, that was a huge phenomena back then.

Like real huge.
    Last edited by Starter Set; 08-16-2017 at 09:31 AM.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

My first exposure to the character came through an old comic that once belonged to an uncle of mine that I found in a box of his in my grandparents attic. It was Batman #156: Robin Dies at Dawn. From that moment on I was a fan. My first media exposure was Batman '66 reruns. It was some years later that I started collecting comics seriously and at that time I was very much a Marvel fan. I had one single DC pull back then and it was Batman.
    Last edited by JasonTodd428; 08-16-2017 at 10:06 AM.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Batman: The Animated Series.
    Nothing ends, Adrian. Nothing ever ends.

Probably the comic books we kids used to trade back and forth, some of which had Batman in them. Also later on the TV show got me interested in Catwoman.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

I think it was mostly because of the 66 show - not that I ever watched it even in reruns, but I think I watched some taped episodes as a kid, and I read a kids book clearly based on the 66 version. I didn't watch any of the 90s films - I first got into the comics during NML and Bruce Wayne: Murderer?
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

I can't remember the exact moment when I became a Batman fan, but it was after COIE, but watching the movies from 1989 and the 90's plus BTAS.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
    Hello all, I'm sure this has been done before somewhere but I'm still a newbie compared to you guys and it will be a good opportunity to get to know where the Batman love came from. Is it different from your first time encountering the Bat?

We all started somewhere when it came to being comic fans, and I don't think there are too many of us here who witnessed Batman's creation, so what would you say interested you in the character enough to start buying/collecting comics. Heck I would say that a lot of people experienced these icons from media other than comics as children (at least prior to learning how to read).

I wasn't truly a fan until I started watching Batman: The Animated Series on Fox Kids every afternoon in the 90's. Even though I still watched the 60's Adam West show religiously (you'd be surprised on how many old shows they re-ran in the 90's), it still was BTAS that had me become a Batman addict, and I have been one for about 25 years and counting. In fact, I would say that BTAS, introduced me to Batman, and through Batman comics, my interest in comics expanded from there.

What was your first Bat experience? What got you into Batman? Were you into comics prior to getting into Batman specifically, or was he your genesis?

I will return...same Bat time, same Bat channel...
    I was 19 years old, in the Navy training at a school for my job, and I picked up Batgirl #1 (Cassandra Cain). My life was forever changed. My love for Rogue built up over time. With Cass it was instant. I like watching Batman movies and cartoons. I enjoyed TAS and Batman Beyond immensely, but when it comes to comics I only read Detective Comics for Cassandra Cain. So I'm a fan of Batman but I wouldn't keep up with him if the best Batgirl ever hadn't entered the picture.

BANNED

BTAS and Burton films.