Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

10 years from now when asked the same question the young audience is going to answer :"Harley's ass".

Mighty Member

I know Nolan's movies wasn't comics accurate, but that's where my love for Batman started. I actually liked his Batman.

Adam West is still my favorite Batman. I have a corny love with the Silver Age, which is why Dick will always be the Best Robin.

I've always enjoyed all things Batman like the Adam West show, Burton movies etc but Son of Batman got me into reading the actual comics and turned me into a hardcore fan.

Deleted........
    Last edited by SixSpeedSamurai; 11-02-2017 at 06:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    10 years from now when asked the same question the young audience is going to answer :"Harley's ass".
    Thinking about it more, Catwoman got me into Batman. When the TV show aired back in 1966 I thought is was kind of stupid, until Julie Newmar came along as Catwoman
    and then it was "Holy Fine Ass, Batman!" Years later Michelle Pfieffer came along as Catwoman in Batman Returns and it was OMG! So basically I watch and read Batman
    hoping to get to see Catwoman make an appearance.

Astonishing Member

Filmations' The Adventures of Batman and The New Adventures of Batman.

Plus, my dad bought me a Batman comic when I was really young; Batman: In Search of the Catwoman, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Thinking about it more, Catwoman got me into Batman. When the TV show aired back in 1966 I thought is was kind of stupid, until Julie Newmar came along as Catwoman
    and then it was "Holy Fine Ass, Batman!" Years later Michelle Pfieffer came along as Catwoman in Batman Returns and it was OMG! So basically I watch and read Batman
    hoping to get to see Catwoman make an appearance.
    You weren't the only one. Catwoman was my favorite Batman foe, cartoon or comic. Batman didn't have too many villainesses back then.

Quote Originally Posted by yohyoi View Post
    I know Nolan's movies wasn't comics accurate, but that's where my love for Batman started. I actually liked his Batman.

Adam West is still my favorite Batman. I have a corny love with the Silver Age, which is why Dick will always be the Best Robin.
    Are any comics movies accurate, really? As long as they get the spirit of the characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkseid Is View Post
    Are any comics movies accurate, really? As long as they get the spirit of the characters.
    Movies use comic book characters, but more as inspiration / a starting point.

Anybody expecting movies (or TV shows) to be 110% faithful to the "source material", even for every little nit-picky detail, really needs to get a life. (Same thing for anybody who expects all movie adaptations of regular books to be page-by-page, word-by-word exact replicas of the source material.)

Mighty Member

Looking through the topic just shows how important that media portrayals are to the comic book scene. As I said before, I was introduced to Batman through the excellent animated series and I got into comics in general through Batman. It was pretty much a slippery slope, BTAS got me into Batman, and through Batman I got into DC comics, and through that I started expanding my horizons to Marvel characters and other comic books outside of the big two. Heh, it is one of the few things in life I've never outgrew. I went into "Batman vs. Superman" KNOWING it would be a train wreck (gut feeling), because I needed that Batman in my life. I wonder if any kids started their Batman fandom off of the movie "Batman and Robin", as nostalgia can do some things...like I CAN'T hate "Batman Forever."

When I was little in the late 70's early 80's they played Batman '66 on one of the local channels after school, I watched it every day. That started the love.

Adam West Batman, followed by Batman the Animated Series. It took a little bit to get used to the different interpretations of Batman, but I liked both. I guess Adam West's Batman is the reason why I like cheesy shows and films.

Believe it or not...it was a bubble bath soap bottle in the shape of the Batmobile.

The year was 1986, and I was 4 years old. My Dad made the comment “alright Batman, time for a bubblebath” and I asked him “what’s Batman?” He & my Mom proceeded to tell me about Gotham City, and how Batman and Robin protect it. I played with that car-shaped bottle all the time, the floors of my house were the streets of Gotham. A short while later they introduced me to reruns of B66, and then of course I lost my mind when Batman 89 came out.

But it all started with a blue bottle, with a yellow cap (where the flames shot out).
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

Super Friends. When I was about 3. And I actually found Batman to be scary in freaking Super Friends way back then but that drew me to the character and by the time I was 5 I'd consumed the whole Adam West show which (along with Bob Dylan's oeuvre, Samuel Beckett's, and Sid & Marty Krofft's) became the primary influence for my own (very different, far darker than Dark Knight Returns even) work in theatre, especially the original shows I've made, one of which was about an absurd superhero team and starred my friend (and TV star) Jim Parsons as the leader of the team, Mister Nice Guy, way back in 1998 when we were still making theatre together in Houston.

So Super Friends and Adam West but as viewed through the lens of a purely nihilist/existentialist/atheist kid with manic depression and suicidal tendencies. I immediately started collecting DC obsessively and was really gobsmacked when the version of Batman in the comics caught up to the version in my screwed up head.

My friends have always called me Batman. My mother made me one Batman costume after another, each year for Halloween, each one a little better though we never perfected it. And the Batman in the comics has only become closer and closer to how I feel myself, so I identify with him more even than I do with Hamlet or Dylan or Elliott Smith. This is why I've taken Tom King's run so personally and have loved it so incredibly much.

Batman: The Animated Series and Batman Beyond (Actually, Just the entire DCAU)... Still love the shows, have all bar Superman TAS on DVD... Hell, I still regularly watch Beyond and TAS now adays- It's actually how I got my 9 year old brother into Superheroes in general. I sat down with him and watched from 'On Leather Wings' to 'Two-Face Part 2' in an afternoon... He'd finished the show within two weeks.

First time I read Batman was when I read the entirety of Knightfall, Knightsquest and Knightsend in Trade.
    As for first issue bought. I was 8 years old and it was the first issue of Grant Morrison's run, which I read all of even when it gave such 'charming' and 'Pleasant' Villains as Professor Pyg for me to be traumatised by (I was 8, cut me some slack)
    Last edited by Denirac; 11-01-2017 at 04:50 PM.

Three times.

First:

The first time i watched Batman was in Justice League series.

Second:

After this i watched Batman The Animated Series. There used to be re-runs of good cartoons in Cartoon Network. Not like these days.

Third:

Meanwhile i watched Nolan's Trilogy. Funnily i did not like Batman Begins at first. It was not like Justice League Batman. But the spectacular Dark Knight ensured that i was very eagerly waiting for Dark Knight Rises. Batman Begins was awesome after rewatch.

After all this awesomeness i decided to try comics. Started with the likes of Dark Knight Returns and Year One. After those big books the regular books are the natural progression. To get into Batman i will credit Justice League Animated.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 11-01-2017 at 09:37 PM.