Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast
    All-New Member

Adam West is the greatest BATMAN as for as I'm concerned. I was born in the 60's & only recall the series in re-runs. I have enjoyed all of BATMAN 66 products. I really wished that there was recordings of the 1966 BATMAN just as they aired in the 60's, that would be cool.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Asking what got me into Batman is like asking what got me into drinking water or watching television. If you read comic books, or at the very least a causal consumer of popular films and cartoons, coming across him is unavoidable.

Empty is thy hand!

My first exposure had to have been Superfriends; it inspired me as a kid to draw up my own little comics featuring DC's heroes. My obsession didn't really kick in until Batman: The Animated series, and I've been hooked ever since (not enough to buy Snyder or King, but still)!

All-New Member

1989 movie - it was great with a great soundtrack

Incredible Member

Definately the Adam West series. When I was a little kid, that was high drama!!

The first comic book Batman I read was an issue of BATMAN that dealt with people pretending to be blind beggars. That’s all I remember about it.

I am, by far, a Superman fan first and foremost. Having said that, my favorite comic book of all time is a Batman issue and that issue is what got me into Batman. No comic has came close to the coolness of Batman #400. I was maybe eight when I came across this issue in a spinner rack at my local IGA grocery store. It featured Ra’s letting all of Batman’s villains and had like seven chapters drawn by some of the best artists of that time. It’s an all time great in my book, and it’s what made me love Batman.

Incredible Member

Earliest Memories: Batman, Adam West, syndicated on Family Channel.

Then, Batman & Batman Returns (Michael Keaton)

Followed by, Batman: the Animated Series.
    Last edited by ngroove; 04-22-2019 at 08:58 PM.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by bretmaverick2 View Post
    Definately the Adam West series. When I was a little kid, that was high drama!!

The first comic book Batman I read was an issue of BATMAN that dealt with people pretending to be blind beggars. That’s all I remember about it.
    This was probably the two part "Operation Blindfold"/"Blind as a Bat" in BATMAN 204 (August 1968) & 205 (September 1968)--one of the most significant events in all of Batman history.

Prior to 204, every issue of the BATMAN title gave credit to Bob Kane with that "by Bob Kane" box--this one didn't have that. Up to that point National Periodicals (DC) had a contract with Bob Kane to always have his art in each issue of BATMAN and some issues of DETECTIVE COMICS--giving Bob a job for life. This didn't mean that Bob always did the art himself--he had other artists do it for him as his "ghost" or sometimes DC had an artist do it for them--but that "Bob Kane" box always had to be there.

Carmine Infantino, who had been doing the Batman art in every other issue of DETECTIVE (which usually ran without any credits), had gotten the position of Editorial Director and he made a deal with Bob Kane that they would still pay him but they would get their own artists to work on the comics and Bob would have nothing to do with it (and no credit box).

This also happened when there was a shake up all over the DC books. The result is Frank Robbins and Irv Novick were moved onto BATMAN, while Robbins and Bob Brown came onto DETECTIVE. The "Operation Blindfold" story was an amazing story. The layouts by Novick were spectacular and Robbins provided a gripping plot that had Batman and Robin using their great gifts as detectives and on the run from the police. As well, the change in the nature of story telling was probably a response to the backlash against the camp TV show Batman, which by 1968 had worn out its welcome and been cancelled by the time issue 204 came out.

For myself, I first got into Batman in January 1966, feverishly excited for this new TV show called "BATMAN" which I knew nothing about. And our whole street was alive with excitement for the new show--each little boy (there was a lot of us) vibrating with an anticipation we couldn't contain and murmuring "Batman is coming, Batman is coming." I still remember that moment when it came on our black & white TV and feeling like my small body would explode.

The BATMAN TV show became my life from then on for the next couple of years or so. I was a freak for everything Batman, buying as much as I could afford with my small savings, getting the bubblegum cards, reading the newspaper strip, begging my parents for Bat-stuff. It's strange that I didn't get around to buying the comics for almost a year. Although, to be fair, I didn't know at first that Batman had a comic book and when I did find out I mainly read him in comics borrowed from other kids, before I dug in my pockets and raided my piggy bank to buy the new comics in the drug store.

I believe that I got into Batman when I watched the Justice League (TV series).

Mighty Member

With Hush being released and a lot of Bat stuff on the horizon, I'm wondering if people were introduced to the Batman universe through a character of his mythos.

Near Long Island. No Circus Pizza, though.

The Dark Knight
    STAS apologist, New 52 apologist, writer of several DC fan projects.

Mighty Member

I figured that I might as well put this on the front page for the beginning of 2020.

I may complain about getting older all of the time but I am definitely glad that I was able to witness my introduction to the world of Batman (Batman the Animated Series) real time while it was on the air...

To those who have already answered, What are your favorite memories when it comes to your experience with the caped crusader?

I was already a Batman fan when I saw Batman Begins my senior year in high school. I remember being on cloud 9 walking home from the theater. I've only had a high like that twice in my life...
    Last edited by Mistah K88; 12-31-2019 at 10:19 AM.

The Burt Ward and Adam West Batman show got me into Batman first, I was a big fan, I loved it. I still do, although now I get the comedy and enjoy it as such, the same way I enjoy Peter Boyle and Gene Wilder's Young Frankenstein. When I was just a kid I actually thought it was meant to be serious and I just loved the neat car and costumes.

Adam West's Batman TV and movie writer Lorenzo Semple Jr. explained in Starlog #75 (1983) that the show was even gonna have a laugh track, "It never crossed my mind to do it any other way [than comedy]. The [Silver Age Batman] comic books were 'camp' in themselves. They were treated totally straight, yet were deliciously absurd. The dialogue was sensational. I tried to mimic as much as possible the sort of stuff in the word balloons. I understood the style. It was a certain type of outrageously deadpan, theater-of-the-absurd humor. I could have written those scripts on an endless roll and just snipped them off. It's too bad the show never had a laugh track, because many people were confused about what to make of it. I was amazed that some viewers actually thought Batman was meant to be terribly serious, but was written by some hack who didn't realize he was being funny. I never thought of that before, but I do feel guilty about it. What the fans thought was very serious, I found deliciously funny. I can see how they would have been outraged by what I did. However, I wasn't consciously making fun of the Batman legends. I intended my work to be much like the spirit of the comic books, but it probably was patronizing. I have moderately short shrift for serious comic book fans. It depends on how 'serious' they are. Collecting comics is one thing. Reading them on a seriousness is quite another. Collecting comics isn't that much different from collecting old orange crate labels, it's part of American pop culture. But to think that comics books are a legitimate form of artistic expression is utter nonsense!"
    https://www.the007dossier.com/2013/0...erview-part-2/
    Last edited by DC Classics; 01-03-2020 at 05:23 AM.

Batman the animated Series. That started it and then I went to the comics and the rest is history!

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

Adam West's Batman show in the 70's when i was a child is my entry point
    The Robin character is the one who kept me hooked and later drove me into comics. Then Damian came and killed my love for Robin.
    Last edited by failo.legendkiller; 01-03-2020 at 07:11 AM.