Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default Was Sue having a miscarriage a mistake?

This occurs to me a lot because as we've seen with the addition of Valeria Reed and Sue having a second child really suits them. I know there are some people out there that actually like the storyline but afterward, we had way too many involving a character having a miscarriage needed as a last minute earaser for potential character development. Would the team really have been that different if Valeria was born two decades earlier.

I personally hated that Valeria was her miscarried baby as it cheapened the story. The miscarriage story showed that tragic things can happen to anyone with no warning or reason, it was a sad but good story that led to great growth for Sue. I wish Val was Reed and Sue's third child they conceived naturally, they would have been nervous about having another child and it would have been a better more emotional story about overcoming the tragedy imo.

Val was just a lazy magical fix of something that was never broken.
    Last edited by Crimz; 08-16-2017 at 12:48 PM.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Not at all. It was a touching story that at the time was hardly seen in big superhero comics.

And agree 110% with Crimz that making Valeria that child, when literally hundreds of other means of bringing Valeria into the FF's lives were available, definitely cheapened the emotional impact of that story. It's like bringing Jean Grey or Barry Allen back, but even worse.

I never liked the miscarriage idea. If they were going for a second child idea, then they should have with no miscarriage. And then they brought her back anyway. Yeesh!

But truth be told, I also liked having Franklin as the only child of Reed and Sue.

I liked the miscarriage. I think sometimes, in such a fantastic setting, something like that really humanizes the characters and makes them relatable.
    Age of Marvels and DC Next Dawn - Monthly Fan Made Solicitation Competitions on these very forums, make your pulls now! Want back story? Check the Wiki!

Valeria was a mistake

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

It was a great story and showed that no matter how smart you are you can't solve every problem. He was so desperate he even went to a villain like Doctor Octopus for help.
    This was back before Reed could fix the whole universe in 5 minutes with a paperclip and piece of gum. They had some of the best minds around trying to help Sue and in the end it did not make a difference. This is the issue we are talking about just in case you didn't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    Valeria was a mistake
    I agree. The miscarriage story was touching but the introduction of Valeria seems to have cheapened it. I just haven't warmed up to her.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    I personally hated that Valeria was her miscarried baby as it cheapened the story. The miscarriage story showed that tragic things can happen to anyone with no warning or reason, it was a sad but good story that led to great growth for Sue. I wish Val was Reed and Sue's third child they conceived naturally, they would have been nervous about having another child and it would have been a better more emotional story about overcoming the tragedy imo.

Val was just a lazy magical fix of something that was never broken.
    QFT. I thought it was a bizarre means of having Sue get pregnant again via Franklin's powers I guess combined with the Ultimate Nullifer. The ending to the Abraxas arc was always confusing to me. I know the Ultimate Nullifier worked as a reboot and that Roma showed Franklin that the miscarried baby was safe in Haven but then she came back to them as Valeria von Doom.

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 08-16-2017 at 02:33 PM.

Incredible Member Marvel Forever's Avatar

It might have won her a few more fans via the sympathy factor.

Always found it pretty weird that they decided to give the Richards a second kid after years and years of being so obviously at lost with what to do with Franklin.

I mean, that poor kid had some pretty nasty **** happening to him during his short life. Sure, he's a god but still...

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

I don't think the miscarriage was a problem (although I don't think Byrne handled it great since he spent a little too much time on how this affected the father, not how it affected Sue Richards). That being said, I also love Valeria. Since I am less familiar about the gap between the two, I don't have any feeling that she cheapens the original story, but I could see others feeling differently.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    Always found it pretty weird that they decided to give the Richards a second kid after years and years of being so obviously at lost with what to do with Franklin.
    they wanted to keep Franklin occupied with a permanent playmate. I guess Leech and Artie were no longer pulling their weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    QFT. I thought it was a bizarre means of having Sue get pregnant again via Franklin's powers I guess combined with the Ultimate Nullifer. The ending to the Abraxas arc was always confusing to me. I know the Ultimate Nullifier worked as a reboot and that Roma showed Franklin that the miscarried baby was safe in Haven but then she came back to them as Valeria von Doom.

personally, I see no difference between this story and Immortus impregnating Carol Danvers. it should not happen.

Valeria von Doom was great! I loved that arc and the dynamic between her and Sue (Sue freaking out that she might be married to Doom some day), hated that they made her the miscarried child; she should've stayed grown up.
    Currently Reading:
    MARVEL - Fantastic Four, She-Hulk, Hulk vs Thor: Banner of War
    DC - Batman: Shadow War, Batman: Beyond the White Knight, World's Finest
    Dark Horse Koschei the Deathless in Hell
    Other