Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

Default Generation X #5 Review, Spoilers

- We open with the preview pages, Trevor is engaged in a training exercise and his powers go a little wonky.
    - He storms out to the cafeteria, while eating with the rest of the gang we find out that Bling is missing a ring before Trevor manifests x-ray vision and gets a little freaked out.
    - Throughout the day Trevor continues to have weird, vision related power fluctuations until eventually venting about his problems to Lin, who is the only person on campus his new vision abilities don’t seem to work on.
    - Trevor feels guilty that he now knows things he shouldn’t.
    - Chamber has Smiths lyrics tattooed on his lower hip.
    - While in the quad Trevor notices a raccoon stealing Rockslide’s wallet. He and Lin investigate, discovering that the (furless) raccoon is being controlled to steal things for someone or thing calling themselves the Rat King
    - After a rousing speech to the animals of Central Park, Trevor and Lin go into the sewers to find the Rat King.
    - The Rat King discovers them and using a flute, actually I think it’s a recorder, he somehow manages to control the animals and Lin as well. They begin attacking Trevor.
    - After some inner monologue-ing, Trevor figures his problem might be from over-analyzing, he takes a moment to relax and manages to get his powers under control. He gets the recorder away from the Rat King and without it the animals and Lin are freed from his control. They take him out rather easily after that.
    - After, Trevor and Lin are talking and agree to keep their encounter with the Rat King to themselves.

This was a fun little spotlight issue for Eye-boy. Having limited exposure to the character, I thought it was good to learn more about him. I think I might like him. It will be interesting to see if this power upgrade sticks. It seems like Trevor and Lin might start a relationship. Benji and Nathaniel have very different tastes in movies, were they flirting?

This issue was out of this world!!! So good! Eye Boy and Nature Girl are flying up my list of fave characters.

The Rat King reminded me of the Rat character fro Teen Age Mutant Turtles.

Kind of a goofy story in my opinion but I liked it. It would definitely seem as though Eye Boy and Nature Girl are headed for some kind of romance.

I thought the story with Monet was meant to go longer. Did I miss an issue?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JarOfFlies1 View Post
    The Rat King reminded me of the Rat character fro Teen Age Mutant Turtles.

Kind of a goofy story in my opinion but I liked it. It would definitely seem as though Eye Boy and Nature Girl are headed for some kind of romance.

I thought the story with Monet was meant to go longer. Did I miss an issue?
    Seems she's a recurring villain that won't show up again until Legacy officially begins.

It was a good issue for Eye Boy and Nature Girl.

Did I miss an issue or this is the first time it's been this straight-forward in the implication that Nathaniel and Benjamin are into each other?

Anyway cute issue. That the arts a lot easier on the eyes definitely helps. I kind of wish we got a straight answer for Eye-boy developing this new kind of power beyond "over-analyzing".

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Milton
    Benji and Nathaniel have very different tastes in movies, were they flirting?
    Yeah I think that's what those red marks on the blue forms were, signs of attraction in Eye-boys new vision power.
    Last edited by ChronoRogue; 08-16-2017 at 12:36 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoRogue View Post
    Did I miss an issue or this is the first time it's been obviously stated that Nathaniel and Benjamin are into each other?
    They've been slowly but surely hinting at them two.

BANNED

It felt like an old fashioned Xmen book. No major threat, no internal drama, just straight forward "who done it" with the mutants with a good amount of character development with Eye Boy and Nature girl.

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoRogue View Post
    Did I miss an issue or this is the first time it's been obviously stated that Nathaniel and Benjamin are into each other?
    There have been moments that could be read as implying an interest, but nothing definitively stated, including this issue. That one panel could be read as flirting/romantic interest or irritation.

This was a very good issue. Loved the art. Much better than the last 4 issues.

I liked that we learnt more about Eye Boy and Nature Girl, it was a nice issue. Wish we knew more about this new power of his though.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

This series has been slowly getting better in every issue.

I need to know more about Chamber's hip tattoo.

IMG_1430.jpg

How can you not love these two?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by nandes View Post
    This series has been slowly getting better in every issue.

I need to know more about Chamber's hip tattoo.
    I want to see it

We do not have a decent villain but the story is not bad and Eye Boy and Nature Girl have gained some development.

Rank 7 of 10.

Fantastic Member True Believer Tony's Avatar

Love that Strain continues to bring up obscure villains. Rat King seems to be the kid of some old Morlock character named Piper.

Anyway, this was very cute but I hope Eye-Boy's new powers are an ongoing thing because I wasn't completely satisfied with the resolution here.
    Twitter: @TonyBWood