Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

First piece of Spider-man media I ever saw was the 90s cartoon, but what really flipped the switch for me to get really into Spider-man was The Secret of The Sinister Six novel by Adam-Troy Castro. I still consider that book series as one of my top 10 favorite Spider-man stories of all time. After reading that, I started actually reading the comics actively.

Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends then watched all his following shows and films afterwards over years along as watching the older ones before Amazing Friends. Got into the comics in the early 90's.

I had watched Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends (Iceman and Firestar for those who weren't around at the time) and played the TSR roleplaying game Marvel Superheroes as a kid (think Dungeons and Dragons but with superheroes; long before video games like City of Heroes). Then some time in the late 80's I got into comics by looking through a stand of comic books at a convenience store one day and picked up a few that looked cool, including Batman, Superman, the Fantastic Four, and a few others. The Amazing Spider-Man was one of those titles and I chose it because I thought the art looked really good (an issue in the early 300's with art by Todd McFarlane). Later on I also got into the X-Men books with Jim Lee on art, but the Amazing Spider-Man hooked me from the start and I still have warm and fuzzy nostalgic feelings for the David Michelinie/Todd McFarlane/Erik Larsen run on Amazing Spider-Man.

My name is Yan and I am a big fan of Peter Parker (my first familiarization was through John Semper's excellent 90's series).
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 09-01-2017 at 03:38 PM.

BANNED

The animated series of the 90's is how I got into Spider-man.

The 90s animated series if remenber well

BANNED

Hand me down comics from the 80's

The cartoon in the 90's, followed by my local library subscribing to ASM around the time Straczynski was writing the series (great run!). I went on to read nothing but Spidey (and any comic with Dr. Doom I could find, having been a FF fan before) up until Civil War where I branched out into more of Marvel, then dropped Spider-Man after OMD. Now I'm back to reading good old Web-Head thanks to RYV. Happy to see a close proxy for the Spider-Man I loved to read about in the early 2000's.
    Currently Reading:
    MARVEL - Fantastic Four, She-Hulk, Hulk vs Thor: Banner of War
    DC - Batman: Shadow War, Batman: Beyond the White Knight, World's Finest
    Dark Horse Koschei the Deathless in Hell
    Other

picked up amazing #378 at the grocery store, which happened to be part 3 of maximum carnage. there was a little comic shop not far from where i lived so i convinced the folks to take me and i picked up the first two parts, and i wound up reading the spider-books through the very end of the clone saga. i made a clean break with peter parker: spider-man #75.

my spider-reading has been very spotty ever since. i picked up spider-island, superior, spider-verse, and the clone conspiracy cheap on comixology. i'm currently reading PAD's scarlet spider simply out of nostalgia. love me some mark bagely.

I grew up in the 80's and watching reruns of the 60's show and Spidey and His Amazing Friends got me into Spider-Man.

BANNED

It was 1977 and I was 12. watched a rerun of the 60's Spiderman cartoon (still the best theme song) that had the Green Goblin in it. The next day after school I stopped at the local news agency to look for a Spiderman comic and there was #177 with the Goblin on the cover. Bought it, read it, and was astonished when at the end it wasn't wrapped up but continued into another issue. wow, plus who were all these other characters? Was hooked up until about issue 210 or so when it became a little dull. Dropped it for the first and only time. Later on at the same news agency saw #238 with the Hobgoblin on it and was floored. Bought that and haven't stopped since, though came close a couple times (clone saga, JMS run). Since then collected all the back issues except for #1 and #2.(working on them) even have Amazing Fantasy 15.

Spidey is the one hero all of can relate to. nothing ever came easy to him, he makes mistakes that cost him, but he never gives up and always, ALWAYS, tries to do the right thing.

I can't say it was one factor myself but probably the biggest factor was the 90s series for me.

I can't pinpoint an exact issue, but I recall reading my first Spider-Man comic around '90/'91. My next door neighbor and friend was really into comics, so I occasionally read one of his issues here and there. Eventually, I started to buy my own issues at the local comic book shop in town, but not the complete storyline. For instance, I got the 1st issue of the "Round Robin" storyline in Amazing Spider-Man or the last issue of "Revenge of the Sinister Six."

What really made me a fully-fledged Spider-Man fan was a subscription. My sister brought home one of those Scholastic books newspaper inserts that were shipped to schools. She pointed out to me that Scholastic offered subscriptions to magazines and other publications. One of them was a 12-month subscription for Amazing Spider-Man. Said I wanted it and lo and behold, I received my first issue in the mail. I'll never forget that too since it Amazing Spider-Man #361, the premiere of Carnage:

Like a lot of other posters, I became more into Spider-Man because of the 90s cartoon, utterly hated the title post OMD, but came back full force after Renew Your Vows. That last part is the most significant for me, because for a long time, I didn't have my hero. Now, I do. While there are certain differences and the title doesn't elicit the same, exact feelings I had when I was reading back in the 90s, I'm just glad to be reading Spider-Man again .
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Astonishing Member

Reading reprints of the first Amazing Spider-Man stories by Stan Lee and Steve Dikto.
    Then was reading many Spider-Man comics from the 80s.

Shou-Lao The Bitch Dragon Iron Fist's Avatar

Miles Morales, never cared for Peter, still don't.

Thought Miles looked cool and kept reading his series ever since.