Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default What got you into Spider-Man?

After my Batman topic went so well, I might as well ask here as well. Spider-Man has been around for a while. So my question is what started your interest in this character? An animated series maybe? suggestion from a friend? a single issue of a comic that you picked up and liked so much you had to keep the ball rolling? What was it that got you into the Web slinger?

As for myself, I'll have to admit that I'm a newcomer to Spidey's universe. To be completely honest with you I was always a Batman fan first and foremost growing up (and will be one till I die!). In fact was a kid in the 90's and the cartoon series back then didn't really pull me in like Batman's did. However, I had a friend who had the same infatuation I've had for Batman, but rather for Spider-Man, so my entry was actually through him. It also helped that I was watching the cartoon series the Spectacular Spider-Man at the time as well (which was equal to Batman the Animated series to me). While I may not be a "true" Spider-Man fan like my buddy or even you guys, I'm still interested in learning what caused your investment into this character.

As for my buddy, it all started with that 1994 Spider-Man animated series. He dislikes the ol' cartoon now (he picks out so many flaws now that he actually invested in the character), but he has to admit that the cartoon was what started his Spidey fascination.

So what was your first Spidey experience? What was it that made you into a Spider-Man fan? Also, if it was a comic, feel free to let us know the number of the issue...

Also, as for a fun bonus question to answer
    Have you ever dropped Spider-Man? If so, What brought you back to the ol' Webhead?

Can't even remember how i came to first know about spidey, i don't know, it's like if that character has always been there somewhere in my life.

I dropped reading Amazing many times actually, always came back after a while, years sometimes.

Spectacular Member

Clone Saga of the 90s. Am a sucker for fiction involving clones, love Conner Kent and Star Wars Clone Wars too.

Incredible Member Graphic Autist's Avatar

The Electric Company.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MetalWoman View Post
    Clone Saga of the 90s. Am a sucker for fiction involving clones, love Conner Kent and Star Wars Clone Wars too.
    90s animated series for me, along with some old comics from the 1980s and even a reprint of Amazing 29, the second fight between Spider-Man and the Scorpion. And yes, I enjoyed the Clone Saga, too, not even "ironically"; as convoluted as it got towards the end, I liked Ben Reilly and I was fascinated by him and his "brothers." As a teenager, I thought Spidercide was a pretty cool name. (Yeah, I was definitely a teenager.)
    The spider is always on the hunt.

I always liked the idea of the character for as long as I can remember. However, my first story was seeing the original Sam Raimi movie on DVD. That hooked me on the character (although I didn't start collecting comics about the character until years later).

The 90's cartoon.

Mighty Member

The 60s Spider-Man cartoon.
    I created a thread about Dick Grayson/Nightwing and Koriand'r/Starfire. It is to acknowledge and honor their iconic and popular relationship.

I created a fan page about Peter Parker/Spider-Man and Mary Jane Watson. This page is for all the Spider-Marriage fans.

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

Not sure if it was the 90s cartoon or the first Raimi movie...

I got into it through the comic strip. Then I picked up a handful of issues.

Things that were very helpful in keeping me a fan were the 90s animated series and trading cards (which filled me in on the rich backstory.)
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Reruns of the 1960's Spider-Man cartoon.
    spiderman 5.jpg

My first knowledgment of a 'Spider-man' and first impressions of many of the characters in the Multiverse was the 90's animated Spider-man earth.

My favourite characters I could recall from that show and version there was: Johan, Curt, and Felicia Harding (but honestly I like her possibly a bit more before she became Black Cat personality/design and when she became Black Cat she was still a fun character but suddernly had skills and abilities with no real transition for the viewers and most importanlty a new personality/charazation shift as well that felt off from before. My friend states that the Felicia of the 90's animated show before she gained powers and the Black Cat look/abilities felt character wise and look/vibe a bit like another character missing from that version of the show 'a Gwen Stacy' then Black Cat and Felicia became more like comics Felicia/Black Cat only after her powers was given to her but also agreed the charazation shift was too instant).
    Possible top favorite and biggest impact for me from that show was that MJ version but only after she was told by Peter that he was Spider-man and seemed like she contributed more afterwards. Then I found out eventually when watching the show was that MJ was another version (I didn't think in terms of cloning or understanding that being very young but I saw her as MJ but another version much like the Multiverse has versions of a character). This would affect a bit on how I perceived the matter of 'clones' in comics and how they are handled/treated and my hopes of such tales and characters (I wrote to a friend about this during a regular conversation after Clone Conspiracy and the 90's Animated show moment and that character MJ in the show before).

Later on I began reading comics thanks to Edge of the Spider-Verse #2 and a few months later pulled Spider-Gwen as my first series then added Silk and a few others then I brought later on the Spider-verse and Silk debut issues in Amazing and have kept my eye on what was happening in the series since either buying certain promising or intriguing story arcs or waiting for a good sale at the store.

Simply,Ultimate Spider-man.

Ubiquity.

I don't remember not being aware of Spider-Man. And thinking he was cool.

Well, first ubiquity, like Tuck.

Then, it was 90s cartoon. But what really really made me a Spidey fan was Sam Raimi's first Spider-Man movie.