Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mighty Member

Default What got you into Spider-Man?

After my Batman topic went so well, I might as well ask here as well. Spider-Man has been around for a while. So my question is what started your interest in this character? An animated series maybe? suggestion from a friend? a single issue of a comic that you picked up and liked so much you had to keep the ball rolling? What was it that got you into the Web slinger?

As for myself, I'll have to admit that I'm a newcomer to Spidey's universe. To be completely honest with you I was always a Batman fan first and foremost growing up (and will be one till I die!). In fact was a kid in the 90's and the cartoon series back then didn't really pull me in like Batman's did. However, I had a friend who had the same infatuation I've had for Batman, but rather for Spider-Man, so my entry was actually through him. It also helped that I was watching the cartoon series the Spectacular Spider-Man at the time as well (which was equal to Batman the Animated series to me). While I may not be a "true" Spider-Man fan like my buddy or even you guys, I'm still interested in learning what caused your investment into this character.

As for my buddy, it all started with that 1994 Spider-Man animated series. He dislikes the ol' cartoon now (he picks out so many flaws now that he actually invested in the character), but he has to admit that the cartoon was what started his Spidey fascination.

So what was your first Spidey experience? What was it that made you into a Spider-Man fan? Also, if it was a comic, feel free to let us know the number of the issue...

Also, as for a fun bonus question to answer
    Have you ever dropped Spider-Man? If so, What brought you back to the ol' Webhead?

Can't even remember how i came to first know about spidey, i don't know, it's like if that character has always been there somewhere in my life.

I dropped reading Amazing many times actually, always came back after a while, years sometimes.

Spectacular Member

Clone Saga of the 90s. Am a sucker for fiction involving clones, love Conner Kent and Star Wars Clone Wars too.

Incredible Member Graphic Autist's Avatar

The Electric Company.

Quote Originally Posted by Graphic Autist View Post
    The Electric Company.
    Awesome....

I was 8 years old. My older sister's bf at the time gave me a cardboard box with a couple hundred comics in it.

There were a few Romita Sr era issues in there, and the first one I recall reading was probably #116 Suddenly...the Smasher, or #177 Deadly Designs of the Disruptor

116-9.jpg

117-1.jpg

Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends but I'm sure I saw him in as a float in the Macy parade first.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MetalWoman View Post
    Clone Saga of the 90s. Am a sucker for fiction involving clones, love Conner Kent and Star Wars Clone Wars too.
    90s animated series for me, along with some old comics from the 1980s and even a reprint of Amazing 29, the second fight between Spider-Man and the Scorpion. And yes, I enjoyed the Clone Saga, too, not even "ironically"; as convoluted as it got towards the end, I liked Ben Reilly and I was fascinated by him and his "brothers." As a teenager, I thought Spidercide was a pretty cool name. (Yeah, I was definitely a teenager.)
    The spider is always on the hunt.

I always liked the idea of the character for as long as I can remember. However, my first story was seeing the original Sam Raimi movie on DVD. That hooked me on the character (although I didn't start collecting comics about the character until years later).

The 90's cartoon.

Mighty Member

The 60s Spider-Man cartoon.
    I created a thread about Dick Grayson/Nightwing and Koriand'r/Starfire. It is to acknowledge and honor their iconic and popular relationship.

I created a fan page about Peter Parker/Spider-Man and Mary Jane Watson. This page is for all the Spider-Marriage fans.

When I was about 4 years old I saw a Mego Spider-man and it was all over. Then I read the 1984 Marvel Secret Wars series in which he really shined against many powerhouses like Titania, The X-Men, etc. I came to appreciate his Parker's humility and power in reserve. Occasionally I like to see a writer really let him off the chain though.

I go back some 50 years, to a time when spin racks were present in things called Milk Bars in my country. I had first read super heroes like Superman and green lantern, and Magnus the Robot Fighter. Then I saw this scary character, covered head to foot with spider webs, and it was like watching an alien to start with, until I realised this kid dressed up in this costume for some reason, and he came across these weird things going on. He scared the bejesus out of the gangsters of New York City, a mixture of super powered bad guys and ordinary mobsters, and this kid would handle them with utter aplomb. Later on, the tragic nature of this spider person started to dawn on me - he did not have a happy childhood, and, he was driven by some guilt-ridden compunction to show his dead uncle he was a good person. It was the weirdest character you could come up with.

Incredible Member Graphic Autist's Avatar

In addition to the Electric Company and the 60's cartoon re-runs, the newspaper strip also helped me get into Spidey.

I bought this yesterday.

BANNED

Mainly the 90s animated series. Had a ton of the figures from that show.