Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

My Uncle. He was born in the 50s and was lucky enough to buy the original Lee/Ditko issues off the old spinning magazine racks. He got me into comics when I was a kid in the early 90s. He bought comics all his life and always gave me his old comics when he was through with them. He would talk about Spidey and other Marvel heroes (like me he wasn’t into DC, except maybe Batman) all day even though I was an 8 year old kid. He left me a lifelong love for Spidey, just as he read comics his whole life. He passed in March. Peter had a great uncle, and so did I. I’ll always love you, Uncle Steven. I’ll never forget you.
    Last edited by HypnoHustler; 07-29-2019 at 07:55 AM.

I watched the cartoon Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends as a kid, but I was aware of the character before then. I think I may have seen repeats of the 60s cartoon with the classic theme song at some point in the late 70s or early 80s. I remember seeing his origin story, with the radioactive spider and death of Uncle Ben, and it struck a chord with me.

I didn't start reading comics seriously until I was a young adult in the 90s. The friends who got me started reading comics claimed that they used to read some Marvel stuff, but they felt DC was better at the time, so I followed their lead and started out mostly with DC. But remembering that Spidey was my favorite as a kid, I decided to check out his comics, and I walked into... Spider-Clones.

And that's the story of why 5 of the 7 long boxes in my collection are full of DC, while I have less than a single long box of Marvel.
    Just re-reading my old collection, filling in the occasional gap with back issues, not buying anything new.

Currently working my way through 1990's Flash, Impulse, and JLA, and occasional other related stuff.

Amazing Member

The animated series from the 90s and... The Clone Saga. yep. Big fan of Ben and Kaine.

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post

Loved that issue! It was part of Spider-Man's whole 30th anniversary celebration which was running through all of the Spider-Man titles at the time. The main Lizard story was pretty cool. It had a nice shout out to the whole Spidey "I CAN!" lifting up heavy weight trope. The reveal towards the end was a shock too, and set up a good 2 years of subplot. The issued had some articles relating to Spider-Man's 30th anniversary. And the holographic color was the best!

Indeed it did. Still remembered thinking how badass it was seeing Spider-Man 2099 freefalling through that futuristic cityscape!
    It’s also the reason why Bagley ended up being by far my favorite Spider-Man artist. He just completely captured the feel and movement of the character in a way that no other artist has for me.

I know I answered already, but I want to do a brief follow-up. In the early 1990's the Maximum Carnage game, as well as the Animated Fox Kid's Show really got me into Spider-Man to the point where I was actively collecting and reading the comics (94-95 so Clone Saga era). For a long time between 1997 - 2016 I didn't bother with comics again due to multiple reasons, I stumbled upon CBR and a Spider-Man discussion and started reading Spider-Man comics online and got myself into the series again. I also bought my first few Marvel Legends and Marvel Select figures, as well as completed my first Spider-Man trade paperback collection.
    The city I once knew as home is teetering on the edge of radioactive oblivion

Mighty Member

I figured that I might as well put this on the front page for the beginning of 2020.

To those who have already answered, What are your favorite memories when it comes to your experience with the wall crawler? How did you feel when you left the theater after Raimi's Spider-Man? The feeling of waking up early to not miss Spider-Man on TV? The thrill of reading one of his stories and having to take a step back and say "wow"?

The 90s series, I had the Green Goblin saga on VHS. My dad took me to see the first Raimi movie when I was like 6 and I eventually got that on VHS too.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

As a kid, I read the entire Venom saga where Spidey and Venom first met and fought each other. While I came to somewhat dislike Peter Parker's character as I grew older and read more comics, I did and continue to love Spidey's powers, how they work with Peter's physiology and most importantly, I became a huge fan of many of Spidey's villains and other side characters (Prowler, Black Cat, Venom, Carnage, Life Foundation Symbiotes, Kaine, Carnage's Crew from Maximum Carnage, etc.).
    Mutant and Proud
    Krakoa FOREVER!!!

Spider-Man the animated series

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Spider-Man, and his Amazing Friends. I used to sit up watching that early in the morning, eating kraft cheese slices in my underwear.

Incredible Member

The 90’s cartoon and the Clone-Saga. Ben Reilly will forever be my Spider-Man.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

I grew up on Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends and the 60s cartoon as well but I didn't get into Spidey comics til about 2 years later, though. They were my first comics period, actually, even before X-Men and they will always hold a special place in my heart. But I haven't read many Spidey comics in the last 15 years tbh.

Amazing Member

Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends taped on a VHS. At least that's my earliest memory of the character. It had about 4 episodes of the show in that tape. I don't recall the whole plot of the first episode but it revolved around The Red Skull finding an old temple in south america with a lot of Nazi Gold. Another one was about some monsters from arcade machines coming to life after being struck by lightning. One in particular was able to travel across electric poles. Another one I remember was about Iceman retlling his origin story I guess.

My dad would buy me the comics whenever he found them. Don't know witch issue since they would come out in a different format and translated here. But it was around the time before the marriage! Around this time I also asked my parents to rent from the videostore the first movie/episode of that live action 70's show. I remember it being really boring but it had a live Spider-Man and a kick-ass intro theme so... It was good enough for me!

I dropped after OMD since it basically asked me to piss on everything I had read for the last 20 years. I'm coming back slowly after reading some of Spencer's stuff. Read some of Slott's stuff occasionally but it still felt off. Can't really explain what it is. I actually enjoyed his issues in BND but the whole body swap thing later on threw me away again.

Fantastic Member primenumber101's Avatar

I first known Spider-man since 2002 when Raimi film came out. Been a fan of Spidey ever since than.

Also, there's one time my family went to Costco, and my parents bought me a big DK Spider-Man encyclopedia that summarizes most of the Spidey based characters since 60s to 20s. I pretty much learn most of the Spider-man characters from there.

Though it took me like an Middle School when I finally read an actual Spider-man comics with Ultimate Spider-Man series.

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    My Uncle. He was born in the 50s and was lucky enough to buy the original Lee/Ditko issues off the old spinning magazine racks. He got me into comics when I was a kid in the early 90s. He bought comics all his life and always gave me his old comics when he was through with them. He would talk about Spidey and other Marvel heroes (like me he wasn’t into DC, except maybe Batman) all day even though I was an 8 year old kid. He left me a lifelong love for Spidey, just as he read comics his whole life. He passed in March. Peter had a great uncle, and so did I. I’ll always love you, Uncle Steven. I’ll never forget you.
    I remember back in the 90's they had similar styled racks in casual stores like Kroger and gas stations, and started out my spider-man journey collecting the early pieces of the clone saga from various spinning rack displays (MediaPlay was awesome at the time for a comic nerd...I miss MediaPlay)
    The city I once knew as home is teetering on the edge of radioactive oblivion