Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast
    Mighty Member

It’s a Brand New Day, Happy New Year! Any fans want to share their discovery of the wall crawler? (also if you dropped the character at any point in time and came crawling back)

Fantastic Member

I saw the cartoons during the 80s... Then in 1989 I bought https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Spect...-Man_Vol_1_158. That was my first Spidey comic. I was really blown away that stories continued past a single issue. All the cartoons I'd seen were standalone episodic. I think I'd read maybe a couple of Superman comics at one point but those were also standalone stories.

Astonishing Member

The 90's cartoon for the most part. Then, I started reading Ultimate Spider-Man. What got me into the main universe was ironically Marvel Age: Spider-Man.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
    It’s a Brand New Day, Happy New Year! Any fans want to share their discovery of the wall crawler? (also if you dropped the character at any point in time and came crawling back)
    I'm amazed that you said that unironically on a Spider-Man forum.

Reruns of the 90s cartoon on Toon Disney/Jetix, reruns of Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends on ABC Family, and the television airing of the first Raimi were how I was introduced to Spider-Man.

And those old Spider-Man & Friends toys and lunchboxes helped too. Now those were the OG Super Hero Squad and Marvel Super Hero Adventures Figures. Ironically, they had a Spider-Girl in that toyline who was Peter's cousin.

When it comes to reading comic books, I've never read any of the on going comics back then because I usually read comics like Sonic the Hedgehog. When I did read it Spider-Man it was usually gifts or I would see a comic, usually the Marvel Adventures-line, at a grocery store. If I was reading comic books at that time my first ones would have most likely been anything related to the Civil War story arcs.

Mighty Member

The 90's cartoon and the PS1 games were the starting point for me. I used to pick up random issues every now and then before finally getting into Ultimate Spider-man when I was around 7.
    I already liked Spider-man by the time the first film came out, but I guess that helped.
    I was in around 2006 when I first started to get really into the mainline comics, funnily enough the first arc I read in full was Sins Past, so I have a bit of nostalgia for that story. (I can't outright hate it as it was near enough my first issue of amazing).

Incredible Member SplinteringHeart's Avatar

Wink

I'm a born and bred Londoner. Always read comics from childhood, pocket money was spent every Saturday on The Beano and The Dandy and various other British comics....then in 1972 came "The Mighty World of Marvel" a British reprint comic of Marvel stuff, Hulk, Avengers, FF and of course Spidey! I was 10 years old and loved Spidey straight away, those Ditko visuals and the life of Peter Parker....wasn't long before Spidey branched out to his own title "Spiderman Comic Weekly"...these comics were in black and white!

A few years later as a teenager I directed increased pocket money to buying full colour marvel comics from comic shops in London ...Amazing Spidey from about #166 and never looked back..I was also fortunate to have a friend who sold to me a good bunch of older issues of Amazing, ranging from Ditko issues through to Romita Snr issues....I'm still collecting Amazing Spiderman to this day and I have just a few gaps...the obviously high value ones, some of the first 10 or so issues, #101 and classic issues 121 and 122, oh and #129 (ridiculously valued because of Punisher)...one day, when I win the lottery.

Incredible Member SplinteringHeart's Avatar

And the only thing that stopped me buying Amazing Spidey ( for a while, before crawling back) was OMIT! Oh and then "Superior Spiderman"! Say no more...

The first Raimi movie is what got me into Spider-Man. I saw it in the theater with my dad when it came out.
    Hated.Feared.SavingThe World.Tell Me What's Changed.

Spectacular Member

I was basically born with Spider-Man. My brother who is 7 years older than me was a huge fan and I grew up with all the Spider-Man comics, toys and movies. I can say I started reading thanks to Spider-Man comics (The Return of the Green Goblin & Venom to be specific, that's one of the reasons why i love those stories so much).

BANNED

I really couldn't say. I started reading comics when I was like 4, and the only thing I know for sure about back then is that they were Marvel Spanish B&W editions. I don't remember if Spidey was among those earlier ones (I recall Kirby's FF or Thor).

A few years later ('78-'79) I was already focused on Spider-Man and Hulk, mainly because they were the most popular and were published more regularly. In Spidey's case it also helped that they got out a couple of compilations with the best Ditko material: ASM #13-18 and 25-28, 30 & 31. With those on one hand and the last Lee-Romita-Kane issues being now in glorious color, I kind of got the distinct impression that Spider-Man was the one to follow.

Astonishing Member

The 90s cartoon got me into Spider-Man first, but Bendis' Ultimate Spider-Man and The Spectacular Spider-Man turned me into a fan as we know them (as in reading comics, going on forums, etc.).
    Last edited by Kaitou D. Kid; 01-02-2021 at 10:08 AM.

BANNED

I came to Spider-Man through the newspaper strip.

I read them at the age of 8 or 9, and I followed them regularly in the newspapers (this was late 90s and early 2000s, the last time that newspapers were the main primary way to get news before the Internet and Social Media took over). I read Spider-Man in the black and white daily news and then the color strip every Sunday which was longer (and had Alex Saviuk though I didn't know his name at that point). This newspaper strip was my introduction to Spider-Man but also Marvel. Because Lee often featured Marvel villains and characters. Magneto showed up in a Spider-Man strip and that was my introduction to the Master of Magnetism (I think this was around the time the first X-Men movie came out so Lee might have intended it as a promo).

Superheroes weren't the comics I was raised on. Growing up I was handed down the comics of my grandparents, my uncles and so on, and that was basically '50s stuff -- Classics Illustrated, Richie Rich, Casper the Friendly Ghost, Little Dot, Archie, Donald Duck, Uncle Scrooge, and also from some international uncles, I got Asterix and Tintin which were my faves at the time. I somehow had a '50s comics childhood but in the 90s and to me the idea that superheroes = comics was never a real thing as it is for so many others. It also gave me a sense of history which I am grateful for (no offense but superhero comics depend on people having no sense of history for its monopoly). So Spider-Man was also the first superhero comic I really followed. (I knew Batman and Superman from TV shows and cartoons)

The first Spider-Man movie by Raimi was the trigger to become a superfan, and I picked up Spider-Man comics as often as I could. At a library, I picked up my first 616 Spider-Man comic -- Untold Tales of Spider-Man #16. Then I read USM and JMS' Amazing Spider-Man, and also Jenkins' Spectacular (the Fusion story). Also played the Activision game on PC at the time (the 2000 one) and the movie tie-in (2002).

the activsion ps1 game for me help a ton then the animated series followed by the 2002 movie. That was the first movie I saw in theaters as a kid. Never read the comics consistently like now just random comics here and there but kept myself updated thru his wiki page. Only started reading when I heard about Otto taking over his body and becoming Superior and when he became Superior Venom. Now im reading til this day. But overall it was video games like Ulitmate Alliance, Tv Shows and toys that were my way into the character.
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Spectacular Member Voices From the Eyrie's Avatar

When I was four, on Christmas morning in 1985, I received a giant coloring book titled "Spider-Man's Christmas Adventure". It featured a story of Spidey saving Christmas and rescuing Aunt May from the Green Goblin. I had seen Spidey before, but that was my first glimpse into his world. Some time later, I received a reprinting of "Amazing Spider-Man #39 and #40" as my first real comics featuring the webhead. I think my affection for the Norman Osborn Green Goblin also began with all of this... he was featured.

Shortly after that, I started picking up the comics, learning to read on them... I think we were in the midst of DeFalco's run with the Hobgoblin (I later read Stern's stuff); I caught re-runs of Amazing Friends and the 1981 solo cartoon on Sunday Mornings during the "Marvel Action Universe" block (which also featured Dino-Riders, RoboCop, and occassionally Pryde of the X-Men)... and I've been a lifelong fan ever since.