Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast

Ultimate Spider-Man got me back in comics. My interest started to decline when Ultimate Peter was killed off and then shut down entirely during Superior Spider-man. I tried reading some of the Peter Parker with the company run of ASM but it wasn't doing it for me.

Used to frequent this forum and I think I'm ready to try getting back into ASM. Whats a good recent jumping on point and how is Friendly Neighborhood?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Tron View Post
    Ultimate Spider-Man got me back in comics. My interest started to decline when Ultimate Peter was killed off and then shut down entirely during Superior Spider-man. I tried reading some of the Peter Parker with the company run of ASM but it wasn't doing it for me.

Used to frequent this forum and I think I'm ready to try getting back into ASM. Whats a good recent jumping on point and how is Friendly Neighborhood?

Thanks!
    I am very much enjoying Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man and would recommend it. Have you given Nick Spencer’s Amazing Spider-Man a try yet? So far it’s an excellent title and we are only up to issue 24.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

The 90s Fox Kids cartoon, but the Raimi films took it to another level.

All-New Member

For me it was also a cartoon, but being a child of the 70's it was the 60's cartoon that hooked me. During the 70's Spider-man exploded and was everywhere. I started reading the comics, watching him on Electric Company, and even watched that God awful live action TV show. I remember the pure excitement I got when the new 1981 cartoon and later Spider-man and his Amazing friends came out. It was so cool seeing a better version with the classic villains. And then the 1994 cartoon came out and it was even better comic book take. I loved it. And to be in the theater when the Raimi movie came out was a feeling I will never forget. I cried like a baby watching it with my wife and kids. I could not even explain it to them where they would understand. FINALLY someone had brought him to the screen and the comic had jumped onto the screen. I even forgave the organic web shooters.

All-New Member

Oh my gosh, I forgot to include the newspaper clip in mine. I read it religiously!

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

90s cartoon started my love for Spider-Man.

Great to reread this thread and all of the responses (even mine from 2 years ago). As a 90s kid it's cool to read how many people were turned into fans via the 90s TV series. Just to expand a couple of things for me:

- I remember one of things that REALLY got me hooked into Spider-Man was one of these oversized, companion books published probably in the 70s. (There was one about the Incredible Hulk featured as well). My local library had a copy of it. It reprinted Spidey's origin, had an annual that described his powers, some essays in the middle, along with a reprint featuring the Chameleon towards the end. Just hoped to ask if anyone remembered those books. Can't seem to find it through Google search.

- Sometimes, our school would give us free comics if they had a PSA message, like Captain America vs. the Asthma Monster (a personal favorite of mine since I had asthma). My favorite featured Spider-Man teaming with Luke Cage and Storm against Smokescreen!

- A previous post reminded me about this, but yeah, definitely wanted this as a kid:
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

The first time I remember seeing Spiderman was in Superpro issue 1 My dad got it for me because I was a fan of both football and superheroes. I thought he was pretty darn cool. Then I remember watching the 90s cartoon as a kid. I went to the book store in the mall and they had Essential Spiderman Vol 1. It was in black and white but that didnt matter to me as I could read it from the start. I really got hooked. I didnt start collection comics till years later though. I just recently got the 40 years of Amazing Spiderman cd rom and am reading all the older Spidermans right now. I am loving it.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Incredible Member

It was Spider-Man & His Amazing Friends, that show still ranks as the best with 1990's Spider-Man coming in second.

I wouldn't say I'm a die hard fan I was collecting McFarlane's Spidey as well as the other titles but I couldn't stand Erik Larsen's art (still don't), my allowance was sparse so I couldn't get every title out there thankfully I missed out on the horrid Clone Saga only reading about it's reputation via Wizard magazine, I did for awhile get hooked on the hype for Ultmate Spider-Man but after awhile I realized I was hoarding worthless junk.

As of now the only collections I have of Spidey are the McFarlane Omnibus and companion hardcovers, a few Claremont/Byrne MTU issues but I don't currently collect any Spidey title and haven't for close to maybe 15 years, from what I've read online I'm not missing much, the live action movies with Tom Holland are nice but I want a twentysomething college guy Peter Parker now.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mace Dolex View Post
    It was Spider-Man & His Amazing Friends, that show still ranks as the best with 1990's Spider-Man coming in second.

I wouldn't say I'm a die hard fan I was collecting McFarlane's Spidey as well as the other titles but I couldn't stand Erik Larsen's art (still don't), my allowance was sparse so I couldn't get every title out there thankfully I missed out on the horrid Clone Saga only reading about it's reputation via Wizard magazine, I did for awhile get hooked on the hype for Ultmate Spider-Man but after awhile I realized I was hoarding worthless junk.

As of now the only collections I have of Spidey are the McFarlane Omnibus and companion hardcovers, a few Claremont/Byrne MTU issues but I don't currently collect any Spidey title and haven't for close to maybe 15 years, from what I've read online I'm not missing much, the live action movies with Tom Holland are nice but I want a twentysomething college guy Peter Parker now.
    If you're into videogames, I would recommend the PS4 Spider-Man game that came out last year. It's got a twentysomething Peter Parker, though he's already graduated college by that point. And yes, my introduction to Peter was also as a college guy in the 90s animated series, though he was said to be 19 years old there, at least at the beginning of the series. Given the passage of time, he might've been at least 20 by the end of it.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Near Long Island. No Circus Pizza, though.

Spider Pig, Spider Pig...
    STAS apologist, New 52 apologist, writer of several DC fan projects.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    If you're into videogames, I would recommend the PS4 Spider-Man game that came out last year. It's got a twentysomething Peter Parker, though he's already graduated college by that point. And yes, my introduction to Peter was also as a college guy in the 90s animated series, though he was said to be 19 years old there, at least at the beginning of the series. Given the passage of time, he might've been at least 20 by the end of it.
    I second this. Even if you're not into video games, the Spider-man Ps4 is something no Spider fan should pass up. It's one of the single best interpretations of the character and by far one of the most faithful. Even if you suck at the game the story is just so damn good and the script is amazing. If you want an "older" Spider-man then that's a good road to go down.

As far as this topic goes, what got me into the character was ASM #365 back in 92. Was house bound from school with the chicken pox and my mom had brought home an issue for me. I knew nothing about the character but got hooked instantly. For sentimental reasons its probably my single favorite issue of Spider-man ever. After that I went on to absorb anything relating to the character regardless of whether it was cartoon or comic related. Ive stopped collecting multiple times through out the years though because of lack of interest in the writing. During one of my breaks from comics I clearly remember the Raimi movies getting me back into the character. USM back in the day also got me interested in comics again. Damn USM was so hot back in the day during those early Bendis/Bagley days.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RD155 View Post
    As far as this topic goes, what got me into the character was ASM #365 back in 92. Was house bound from school with the chicken pox and my mom had brought home an issue for me. I knew nothing about the character but got hooked instantly. For sentimental reasons its probably my single favorite issue of Spider-man ever. After that I went on to absorb anything relating to the character regardless of whether it was cartoon or comic related. Ive stopped collecting multiple times through out the years though because of lack of interest in the writing. During one of my breaks from comics I clearly remember the Raimi movies getting me back into the character. USM back in the day also got me interested in comics again. Damn USM was so hot back in the day during those early Bendis/Bagley days.
    Wasn't that the same issue that previewed Spider-Man 2099?
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by RD155 View Post

Loved that issue! It was part of Spider-Man's whole 30th anniversary celebration which was running through all of the Spider-Man titles at the time. The main Lizard story was pretty cool. It had a nice shout out to the whole Spidey "I CAN!" lifting up heavy weight trope. The reveal towards the end was a shock too, and set up a good 2 years of subplot. The issued had some articles relating to Spider-Man's 30th anniversary. And the holographic color was the best!

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Wasn't that the same issue that previewed Spider-Man 2099?
    Indeed it did. Still remembered thinking how badass it was seeing Spider-Man 2099 freefalling through that futuristic cityscape!
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."