Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Again, you can self identify as part of geek culture but if you don't get why people don't like the mainstream Hollywood version of their favourite thing then I think you might have misunderstood what drew the culture together.
    So what drew the culture together is merely a despisal of the mainstream ?

Like I said I don't find problems with criticisms of the little things. It's when people say it's a "bad series" that rattles me. The last one was (at the time) the 2nd highest grossing movie of all time and still a record Oscar holder

Like there is literally no pleasing certain people

If you dislike the MCU as a whole, not just a few odd things, I question your loyalty to the comics in the first place. Never thought I'd see the Avengers become what they did, largely by staying true to their core ideas too. And yet they did and it absolutely pleases me no end to see superheroes become as big as they have. Sorry if I don't adhere to that particular code of nerdom

And yes, it's always "the best we can hope for" with an adaptation. That's why it's an "adaptation" not a replica. Even things as universally admired by hardcore fans as the DCAU have certain flaws and changes from the comics. Doesn't stop them from being masterpieces

And because they were so good they escaped from their niche audience (unlike Watchmen which was decent enough film, or say Daredevil or Constantine or even the first FF movies ), reached a mainstream audience and thus created a newer, greater audience for their original media

Like the original Superman movie did, like original Batman did, like DCAU did, like the Fox cartoons did, like TDK trilogy did. As modern TV shows and movies do

Like the poorer adaptations failed to do. That's literally the point of an adaptation, to reach the maximum possible audience. Many many comic fans I know became hardcore fans after following the character from another medium. Batman (and joker) craze reached fever pitch after The Dark Knight, even more so than the animated series. The better the adaptation, more is the number of new fans created

In which case a record breaking Oscar winner (possibly the only fantasy winner in how many years?) is certainly the best possible adaptation. Deviances from the books are nowhere near as drastic as say the Bourne series either

So yeah at this point there seems to be little in the way of actual complaints beyond "it's mainstream"

(I refer more to your complaints about the MCU in the last line since LoTR as a whole is simply not your thing, what with neither reading the books or liking the films and this is about fans who dislike the mass media adaptations of their thing )

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    Like, just take the recently released Dark Tower, as an example.

Best we could have hoped for as an adaptation? Likely. Is it a good film? No, not even remotely; and it somehow managed to do a worse job of adapting the source material.
    Dark Tower was panned by critics . Nice job comparing the Oscar record holder with a flop

It's obviously not the best you could hope for with an adaptation. That's kinda...the point

So this has gotten right off topic.
    Back to the fight!
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dork Knight View Post
    Dark Tower was panned by critics . Nice job comparing the Oscar record holder with a flop
    Oh excuse me, Sir/Madam. I had no idea we assessed adaptations based on the amount of shiny man-shaped trophies a film has.

I'll be sure to fashion my responses to suit your needs, in the future. Seems to be why you're here, after all.

It's obviously not the best you could hope for with an adaptation. That's kinda...the point
    Again, pardon me Sir/Madam. I had no idea you were the first and last word on such matters as this. In the future I'll be sure to fashion my responses to suit your needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy1 View Post
    So this has gotten right off topic.
    Back to the fight!
    Fight ended awhile ago. Jamie dies pretty quick.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    Oh excuse me, Sir/Madam. I had no idea we assessed adaptations based on the amount of shiny man-shaped trophies a film has.

I'll be sure to fashion my responses to suit your needs, in the future. Seems to be why you're here, after all.

Again, pardon me Sir/Madam. I had no idea you were the first and last word on such matters as this. In the future I'll be sure to fashion my responses to suit your needs.

Fight ended awhile ago. Jamie dies pretty quick.
    In that case I think I might close this since this conversation seems to be headed south.
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.