Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default Return of Wizard Magazine

I just heard there doing Wizard Magazine again.I loved Wizard in the 90s and the 00s.I think there lunching it it Wizard World

All I ask is that they bring back Twisted ToyFair Theater, if only in a digital archive if they can't or won't do new strips.
    She is Kamala Khan... The Magnificent Ms. Marvel!

From what I gather is that it will be a quarterly digital only magazine focused on pop culture, with a side of comics, pretty much the make up of their conventions in recent years. I am not sure a quarterly magazine can overcome the issues of timeliness of content vs. instantaneous news-sites that plagued the magazine and killed it's circulation. it can do more feuture oriented rather than news oriented stuff, but again, that is what led to the demise of the mag's circulation in the past.

I have seen mention there will be some kind of daily news content via video uploads called Wizardpops or something like that, a format based on the stuff they upload during Wizardworld shows, but again I am not sure how that will fly. With the deterioration of comics news sites on the net over the past few years, there is a desperate need for timely relevant comics journalism on the net, but I don't think this Wizard venture is the answer.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by fin5 View Post
    I just heard there doing Wizard Magazine again.I loved Wizard in the 90s and the 00s.I think there lunching it it Wizard World
    OMG! Please tell me you're not kidding. It's my favorite comic magazine ever!

BANNED

And I really love their explanation why they have Wolverine as #1 on their Top 200 greatest comic characters. I was convinced why Wolverine should be #1 on their list, and not Batman , nor Superman, nor Spider-man.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Zetsubou View Post
    Instead of a monthly, Wizard needs to be a weekly magazine like TIME or a daily newspaper, otherwise the news wouldn't be old by the end of the month. Wizard also needs to get rid of the comics price guide which is a waste of money and paper. It is boring to look at the same list of comic book prices in every issue.
    That's going to be difficult if it's going to be weekly.

I'm fine with monthly.

It's not coming back in print in any frequency, word is quarterly digital magazine.

Here's from the release announcing it's return....

... have announced that it will be a quarterly magazine and a digital daily video news service, WizPop with Nerdist’s Brian Walton and current Wizard World head of content as its Editor-In-Chief...
    there will be more details next week at Wizard World Chicago, but they've already announced it's quarterly and digital only. No need to speculate on frequency, we know this already.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

BANNED

Digital?

If they go digital, I'd be fine with it but I hope they make an annual physical Wizard Magazine for recaps on what happened that year, lik ebest moments, characters that shine that year, etc cos I want to collect Wizard Magazine.

Mighty Member

Is anybody going to Wizard World if they are i would like to know whats its like

What was the knockoff/competition to Wizard called? It was basically the same magazine, price guide in back, poly bagged and had little goodies, but was a clone of Wizard? Can't recall the name.

Mighty Member

do you mean toy fair

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aomalle27 View Post
    What was the knockoff/competition to Wizard called? It was basically the same magazine, price guide in back, poly bagged and had little goodies, but was a clone of Wizard? Can't recall the name.
    Hero Illustrated

https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?TID=170991

Mighty Member

Any new on the new wizard magazine

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    Haha! Yes,that's the one. Interesting that Wizards heyday was the precipice of the comics collapse/speculator boom; and basically everyone was mimicking each other; and lol and behold, Wizard is a success; so why not copy that format and produce Hero. Bravo for the recollection by the way. I'd never have remembered that name.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aomalle27 View Post
    Haha! Yes,that's the one. Interesting that Wizards heyday was the precipice of the comics collapse/speculator boom; and basically everyone was mimicking each other; and lol and behold, Wizard is a success; so why not copy that format and produce Hero. Bravo for the recollection by the way. I'd never have remembered that name.
    Thanks!

Hero tried to top Wizard by putting ashcan comics and special cards with the magazine: "We won't just tell you what your collectables are worth,
    we are going to give you some more collectables too!".

I think that was the beginning of the end. It had gotten silly.

Sad thing was, Hero was a pretty good magazine in its own rights, but the whole comic trade magazine /buyers guide market had gotten saturated.
    Last edited by Vic Vega; 08-25-2017 at 01:58 PM.