View Poll Results: Should Marvel fold CrossGen and Malibu Characters into the MU?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, whatever works!

8 40.00%
  • A few characters from each.

5 25.00%
  • Just one or two characters, at most.

1 5.00%
  • No, none of them.

6 30.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Twitter: @theprattlp donpricetag's Avatar

Default Should Marvel fold in CrossGen & Malibu Comics?

Marvel has been playing catch-up to DC as of late IMO. I mean, why not? For the first time in like forever, DC is keeping pace and in many areas beating Marvel. Something we haven’t seen since the 80s. DC has made some big steps in the last few years. Erasing their universe and then rebuilding it was a huge step, but not unlike they’ve done in the past. It wasn’t a homerun, but it did show progression, especially how they folded in some of the best aspects of their acquired brands; Wildstorm and Vertigo. Outside of a lot of housekeeping, Marvel can do much of the same, and probably should have when they finished-up Secret Wars. Marvel owns both CrossGen and Malibu universes. I think they could refresh their entire line by doing what DC did and meld aspects and characters from these universes into MU proper. With the option of characters visiting other realities, it’s not too farfetched an idea. I think Marvel using some of these characters instead of the purely original ones they populated around Hyperion in “Squadron Supreme” would have been a master stroke.

Would you really have opposed to seeing characters from CrossGen in Marvel? Even from a design standpoint. Obviously, we aren’t that familiar with the names but the character designs are stunning in many cases. Then theres the more known brand of Malibu. These comics are no stranger to the Marvel universe. Much like DC in the past, we’ve seen the two universes crossover, most notably with the X-Men. MU earth doesn’t need yet another super-powered human species running around, but a lot of these characters were pretty fun… saturated in 90s cliché, but still fun. I think it’d do the MU well to take on an initiative of at least visiting this idea. Not launch a half dozen new books but sprinkle some in here and there much like they did Angela (she still looks out of place to me, but she does catch the eye). What characters/concepts from these universes would you like to see in the MU if at all?
    Last edited by donpricetag; 08-17-2017 at 01:49 PM.
    Guild Member
    Realistically speaking about fictional matters. | Nutcases need not respond. | Stay outta my DMs. | Why does the "House of Ideas" keep duplicating characters?! | If an idea or belief cannot stand up to criticism it's probably... bad.

ewww. wasn't Angela bad enough?

I dont think its a bad idea in and of itself. IP's from other companies can be folded in successfully if it's done with care. I think the New Universe concepts Hickman started using in Infinity have added a lot to the MU, for example. And DC wouldn't be the same without a Blue Beetle running around.

CrossGen had some amazing books, and while the characters themselves might not mesh very well I think the overall concept of the Sigil-Bearers might. Marvel might have to twist things up a little to make it fit their universe a little more (or just leave the Sigil-Bearers on an alternate reality) but I think the idea is relatively sound.

Malibu....I suppose a handful of those characters could transition into the main MU, but I'm not sure if it'd really make much of a difference. There doesnt seem to be an overabundance of interest in the IP's and I don't recall any larger mythos Marvel could absorb. Certainly a handful of characters might make good additions but I think I'd largely just leave them as an alternate reality, available for whoever wanted to use it.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I dont think its a bad idea in and of itself. IP's from other companies can be folded in successfully if it's done with care. I think the New Universe concepts Hickman started using in Infinity have added a lot to the MU, for example.
    like what? I'm genuinely curious. I spent a lot of money (full runs of starbrand, dp7, justice, etc) on the old new universe books (and Universal) after those characters started showing up in the Marvel Universe-proper. so what impact have they had?

No thanks.

Mercenary Agent of Wolfram & Hart's Avatar

I said yes, especially select Malibu concepts & characters, I'd love to see new comics featuring Prime, Prototype, Nightman, Rune, Lord Pumpkin & a few of the others. Not familiar with Crossgen enough to say yes or no. Unfortunately I don't think it will happen with either properties even if Marvel owns them
    "The preceding announcement has been paid for by the new World order"

I can see some of the Malibu characters fitting in the MU, maybe not getting their own books but being supporting characters and members of current teams.
    NME, Prototype: could appear in Ironman.
    Rune, Lord Pumpkin: could be Doc Strange villains.
    Prime: could be re-imagined as an Inhuman.

Then again, how much $'s would it cost Marvel to use Ultraverse characters?
    Does Marvel own all that outright, or would they have to pay any royalties to the original creators?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    like what? I'm genuinely curious. I spent a lot of money (full runs of starbrand, dp7, justice, etc) on the old new universe books (and Universal) after those characters started showing up in the Marvel Universe-proper. so what impact have they had?
    Not much but DP 7 was pretty damn good. So was Jenny Swenson, Spitfire and the Trouble Shooters. Have the entire runs of both. I don't know much about Malibu or Gen so I didn't vote. Wouldn't mind seeing Mark Gruenwald's creations like the Reedemer's and Institute of Evil characters coming over. Unfortunately most of them are dead. Everyone else comes back from the dead in comic books so why not them.
    Last edited by Dreaded Porcupine; 08-18-2017 at 01:56 PM.

I don't think they could do Malibu if they wanted to.

Maybe Cross Gen. I've never read it, but I'm sure there are a few fun concepts they could use.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Crossgen had quite a few good series but I don't think they would really fit in the Marvel U proper. I am really surprised Disney has not started mining the Crossgen stuff for movies or TV though since some are custom made for adaptation. Meridian especially would be perfect for a movie or trilogy with its fantasy setting and young female hero as the protagonist.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    I also picked up the older New Universe stuff after Hickman introduced me to the concepts. Really good work, sad that it all got unraveled.

And what impact have they, the New Universals, had specifically? Well, not much I suppose, but they've been fun additions to the MU and I think that's probably enough. Not every new introduction has to change the face of the company forever, yknow?

As for other IP's that ended up absorbed into other companies and did well for themselves, I think the Charlton characters have done fairly well at DC. The Fawcett characters less so, but I think that's more to do with the legal problems with the Captain Marvel name than anything else.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I don't think they can use Malibu characters without paying the original creators. Not sure about that though. I wouldn't mind some Malibu/CrossGen stuff in its own self-contained universe. I wouldn't want everything just suddenly merged with 616.

We know the Ultraverse characters are off limit but they could use the protectors characters. they were good read and since the planet was destroy almost the same way as in Secret wars it's could be easy to retablish them

http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Protectors_Vol_1

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

While many of the concepts would work, I dought Marvel is in any big hurry to use any of the Malibu characters as there is apparently a ton of red tape associated with those characters and their total ownership not being with Marvel but divided up with the creators as well. Some of them would be awesome to revisit though like Prime and Mantra among a few others.
    As for the Cross Gen universe, it's not something I could see being meshed into the MU proper as others have stated. Perhaps alternate dimensions or other worlds. I do wish they would do more with the characters though. I was quite excited when Marvel announced the mini series several years back, but then became somewhat disappointed to learn they were diverging from the original concepts on them (with the slight exception of Ruse.) Meridian is a perfect example of something that could be done well again, as is Ruse and Sojourn. But then there's also Crux that was incredible and Negation...ok, yeah, I would love to see this entire line brought back. Just dont think it would work inside the Marvel Universe proper..