View Poll Results: Did mystique rape Gambit?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

44 64.71%
  • No

8 11.76%
  • Dunno

16 23.53%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by remydat View Post
    As to the question, the appropriate designation is rape by fraud or deception and it depends on what state you are in. I believe they were in Phoenix ie Arizona and Arizona does appear to have a rape by fraud statute.

However, the court also discussed a number of states that have enacted statutes that extended the traditional definition of rape to include fraud or impersonation. In Arizona, a former statute defined rape to include: "where the female submits under a belief that the person committing the act is her husband, and this belief is induced by any artifice, pretense of concealment practiced by the accused with intent to induce such belief." See Hough, 159 Misc.3d at 1000-01.

http://nysbar.com/blogs/lawstudentco...on_or_imp.html

So based on Arizona laws, she raped him. I am sure Soule didn't think about this and thought it was just being funny but yeah, I can only imagine the fallout if it was a male doing this to a female.
    Yeah, if it was the other way around there it would be a huge flame war right now; and people asking for Soule's head.

Quote Originally Posted by dragonmp93 View Post
    But Transgender is after you get the surgery, isnt it ?.
    No, not necessarily.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Quote Originally Posted by remydat View Post
    Sorry when has Gambit been vindictive? That has never been a significant part of his personality.
    Remy has never sought vengeance?

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    Remy has never sought vengeance?
    But he has sought to be better than that. Going so far as trying to save a man who murdered a close friend as what he was facing was so terrible. You just see what happens to fit in your world view. Try see all of it before condemning someone you may not like. Dealing with unconscious buas can be a challenging task for us all.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiraiya View Post
    But he has sought to be better than that. Going so far as trying to save a man who murdered a close friend as what he was facing was so terrible. You just see what happens to fit in your world view. Try see all of it before condemning someone you may not like. Dealing with unconscious buas can be a challenging task for us all.
    You presume much. I like Gambit. I like that he's a scoundrel.

You presume much. I like Gambit. I like that he's a scoundrel.
    No presumption calling someone unconditionally vindictive with out all the pieces of information and with evidence to the contrary still presents and indictment on the character with out taking time to figure out the bits implies a blinkered view and a bias. How many times has he given up the loot freely albeit hesitantly to help that is not the trait of an repentive vindictive individual who would not do that and certainly be perenially sour about it. You presume to push him into a box that suits your view and agenda.

I think you're the one with an agenda.

Let me rephrase things more simply for you.

Gambit is a morally ambiguous character.

I like that about him.

What you do with that information is yours to decide.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Diammandis View Post
    Yep its rape...as Gambit did not know it was mystique in disguise, he gave consent to the twins mystique pretended to be but not her.

Its similar to when Madelyene raped Scott,by pretending to be Emma
    And when Emma stole Storm's body and then had sex with Shaw. The X-Men franchise has some predatory women.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan Daddy View Post
    And when Emma stole Storm's body and then had sex with Shaw. The X-Men franchise has some predatory women.
    Now that was a clear case of mutanty rape. Storm did not consent at all to that.

BANNED

Now that was a clear case of mutanty rape. Storm did not consent at all to that.
    It's kind of crazy how Storm and Emma manage to work together in the modern runs. If someone did that to me, I would kill them. Straight up.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan Daddy View Post
    It's kind of crazy how Storm and Emma manage to work together in the modern runs. If someone did that to me, I would kill them. Straight up.
    She almost did right after.

Claremont always did a good job showing Storm's disdain, but professionalism, with regards to Emma. Most of the other writers probably don't even know it happened.

I think you're the one with an agenda.

Let me rephrase things more simply for you.

Gambit is a morally ambiguous character.

I like that about him.

What you do with that information is yours to decide.
    Not so much to do with agenda as your choice of words. The implication "of putting something more simply" is quite insulting but i get where you are going. but it still does not validate any of your earlier statements none of which acknowledge his more noble traits. While trying to play down what was done to him.

He is a man trying often to be more than the dodgy up bringing set him out to be. I would like to eventually see him transcend that state as rogue did when she moved past villiany. And earn that redemption that he has sought and that founded so much of his characters motivation. Id like to see him move past cookie cutter thief cheap marvel writers try shove him into. Even if he still stumbles and has a harder edge to him.

Then technically anyone Mystique sleeps with that she doesnt disclose her true form to is rape.

If Mystique drugged him and had her way with him, that would be rape. If she presents herself as enticing twins and he elects to have sex with them, that's certainly a trick, but I wouldn't call it rape.

Everyone can have their own opinion on the matter.

Luckily this is just a pointless discussion about fictional characters.

BANNED

She almost did right after.

Claremont always did a good job showing Storm's disdain, but professionalism, with regards to Emma. Most of the other writers probably don't even know it happened.
    I still want a scene of Storm and Emma discussing IvX and Storm laying into her over what happened. Storm really went out on a limb to trust her (finally!) and well, she shouldn't have.

With that said, I think that Emma/Storm/Shaw story was OOC. In today's terms, it looks much worse than the uneducated understanding of rape back then.