Page 1 of 41 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Zatanna 'The Mistress of Magic' Appreciation Thread

DC Forum Appreciation Thread rules:

1) No negative comments about the honoree of this thread. It's an appreciation thread, not a non-appreciation one.

2) No negative discussion about any competitors of the honoree of this thread (i.e. John Stewart in the Hal Jordan thread). No ifs, ands, or buts. Find another non-appreciation thread to do that, just not here.

3) No negative comments about other versions of the character. For example, if you like the DCU version of Cyborg, but hate the DCnU version (or visa versa), just appreciate the earlier version and keep your comments about the latter to yourself.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So glad this wasn't made yet.

Welcome to the thread where we show love to the Mistress of Magic!

"The world is a scary place. If I can show a friendlier side of magic then it benefits everyone. Mystic or mortal."

Zatanna #1 (2011)

2311367-zatanna.jpg

BANNED

Emosewa.

I actually have the Hawkman issue at home where she first appears.

Recommendation's Are Welcome

Now in image format!

Last edited by John Venus; 05-27-2014 at 02:03 PM.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

I love Zee!

She is one of the best characters in the DCU. She's fun, likable, and versatile. You can tell almost any kind of story with her, and I really hope that she gets to shine bright in Justice League Dark now that Constantine has left.

I also really hope that DC is done with portraying Zee as pretty much just "Constantine's girlfriend." I hope to never see that relationship again. Zatanna is a good woman who deserves better than Constantine. She's also a great character in her own right and she doesn't NEED to be attached to ANY other character.

So, yeah. Love Zee. I hope she gets another ongoing sometime soon.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Yeeeeeeesssss. My favorite DC woman.

E S I A R P

I'm really hoping for a new title for her sometime soon. Hopefully written by China Meiville.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    I love Zee!

She is one of the best characters in the DCU. She's fun, likable, and versatile. You can tell almost any kind of story with her, and I really hope that she gets to shine bright in Justice League Dark now that Constantine has left.

I also really hope that DC is done with portraying Zee as pretty much just "Constantine's girlfriend." I hope to never see that relationship again. Zatanna is a good woman who deserves better than Constantine. She's also a great character in her own right and she doesn't NEED to be attached to ANY other character.

So, yeah. Love Zee. I hope she gets another ongoing sometime soon.
    I agree. I haven't read all of Justice League Dark yet but from the little I read, I dislike Zatanna being portrayed as just Constantine's girlfriend.

I think it's because folks aren't aware of all the great Zatanna stories which focus on her and develop her as her own character. She has a world of her own beyond just her and her father. Hence why I started the Reading List in order to educate more people about her.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    I agree. I haven't read all of Justice League Dark yet but from the little I read, I dislike Zatanna being portrayed as just Constantine's girlfriend.

I think it's because folks aren't aware of all the great Zatanna stories which focus on her and develop her as her own character. She has a world of her own beyond just her and her father. Hence why I started the Reading List in order to educate more people about her.
    Yeah, the good news is that Constantine is gone from JLD now, and Zatanna is their new team leader. So hopefully she'll be getting a lot more time in the sun.

As to your reading list? It depresses me to know that I've only collected the Dini ongoing. Everything else? I'll have to start hunting.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Ultimate Member

So is anyone going to pick up the Black Canary/Zatanna OGN that's coming out soon? Also, I hope that she appears in the Constantine TV show at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    So is anyone going to pick up the Black Canary/Zatanna OGN that's coming out soon? Also, I hope that she appears in the Constantine TV show at some point.
    I certainly plan too.

Two of my very favorite DC ladies? Why would I ever pass that up?

I don't think I want to see Zatanna on the Constantine show. As I said, she deserves better than to just be Constantine's girlfriend/supporting character. If she is in the show? Okay. But she'd better be less "Laurel Lance" and more "Sara Lance" ala Arrow.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Yeah, the good news is that Constantine is gone from JLD now, and Zatanna is their new team leader. So hopefully she'll be getting a lot more time in the sun.

As to your reading list? It depresses me to know that I've only collected the Dini ongoing. Everything else? I'll have to start hunting.
    We'll see.

I recommend starting with the 1993 mini series and the 1987 Special. Zatanna's Search is collected as 'JLA: Zatanna's Search' but I don't know if that's still in print. E-bay and Comixology are your best friends here.

Astonishing Member

Was Seven Soldiers omitted on purpose?

Amazing Member

Ultimate Member

I certainly plan too.

Two of my very favorite DC ladies? Why would I ever pass that up?

I don't think I want to see Zatanna on the Constantine show. As I said, she deserves better than to just be Constantine's girlfriend/supporting character. If she is in the show? Okay. But she'd better be less "Laurel Lance" and more "Sara Lance" ala Arrow.
    She doesn't have to be his love interest, I just want her to appear. Plus, you can have a character be a love interest and still make them awesome/interesting in their own right. Just because JLD hasn't been doing the best job with that doesn't mean that it CANNOT be done if the writing is good enough. Case in point, Peggy Carter in the Captain America movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    Was Seven Soldiers omitted on purpose?
    Yes. The list was under construction at the time with only a few appearances listed. I planned to include more titles afterwards including Seven Soldiers. You can see that it's there now.

Luckily, the Seven Soldiers is collected in 4 trade paperbacks which you can collect.
    There are two hardcovers as well.
    BB